Be sure to give us feedback on this project below.
Sheryl used Memory Card #119 (Australian Floral Designs) and silk dupioni to create a Victorian Vase of Embroidered Flowers. Sheryl says, “ This project is great to let your imagination flourish.” It can be made to match any home dÈcor or would make a great gift idea!
Janome Supplies Required:
- Memory Craft 10000, 9000, 5700, 5000 or 8000
- Card Reader 10000 (for MC10000 only)
- Memory Card #119(Australian Floral)
- Standard Hoop
- Embroidery foot P
- Clothsetter 10000III, II or I
- Pintuck Foot
- Janome Embroidery thread
- Janome Bobbin thread
- Blue Tip needle 75/11
- Twin needle
Fabric and Notions Required:
- 20” x 22” piece of off-white dupioni
- 10” x 10” piece of pink dupioni
- Tear away stabilizer
- Glass seed beads
- Fabric marking pen
Download Vase and Fern patterns as a PDF, and print out. Note: Printed-out vase pattern should be approximately 5 1/2" high. Individual printers may vary.
Requires the free Acrobat
Reader 4.0 or greater.
- Trace the vase and fern onto the 20” x 22” piece of fabric.
- Position the vase four inches from the bottom of fabric.
- Extend fern to go into top of vase.
- Pintuck the 10” x 10” piece of pink dupioni using the twin needle and Pintuck Foot.
- Cut the vase by positioning the pattern over the pintuck fabric having the pintucks slanting to the left.
- Thread machine with Janome Embroidery thread, using color of choice.
- Select the Patchwork stitch. Adjust the width to 5.0 and length to 2.5.
- MC10000 ñ Stitch #94
- MC9000 ñ Stitch #28
- MC5700 ñ Stitch #32
- MC5000 ñ Stitch #16
- MC8000 ñ Stitch #25
- Start sewing from the bottom of the fern to the end, adjusting the width while sewing.
- Select the Sculpture stitch. Using same shade of thread, sew down the middle of the fern.
- MC10000 ñ Stitch #71
- MC9000 ñ Stitch #122
- MC5700 ñ Stitch #28
- MC5000 ñ Stitch #5
- MC8000 ñ Stitch #101
- Position pintuck vase over the traced vase. Appliquè using the zig-zag stitch. Adjust the width to 2.5 and length to 3.5.
- MC10000 ñ Stitch #8
- MC9000 ñ Stitch #8
- MC5700 ñ Stitch #6
- MC5000 ñ Stitch #7
- MC8000 ñ Stitch #4
Note: The backside of the pintucks was placed right side up to create a textured look.
- Set up your Memory Craft for Professional Style embroidery.
- The arrangement of the flowers was created using Memory Card #119 (Australian Flowers). Design #5, #8, #9, #13, #22, #27 and #28 were used for the flower arrangement.
Note: The designs on Memory Card #35 (Australian Floral) may vary. When substituting designs, always try to have the pieces touching or part of one design slightly under another.
- To layout your design place the templates for each design on the fabric and arrange as desired. Mark the crosshairs for each design using a fabric marking pen.
Hint: While the templates are arranged make a note referencing the order they should be embroidered in. If you have any large gaps once the embroidery is completed simply fill in with smaller flowers.
- Use the Clothsetter to perfectly position fabric. Attach the embroidery hoop to the machine. Stitch.
- Sew beads to the vase in even intervals along the pintucks.
- Have your work of art framed and enjoy in your home.