Travel Set - Luggage Tag
Be sure to give us feedback on this project below.
Time: 1 Hour
Make a luggage tag to easily identify your bag as it comes out of the carosel. You can even personalize it with an initial or monogram.
Janome Supplies Required:
- Walking foot / AcuFeed Foot / Wide AcuFeed Flex Foot
- Buttonhole foot
- Border Guide Foot
Fabric and Notions Required:
- Rotary Cutter/Ruler/Rotary Cutting Mat
- Marking utensil
- Fat quarter of White fabric (small piece 12x12 or less)
- 3 inch by 4 inch piece of Heavy iron on interfacing
- Scraps of neoprene
- ½ yard of ribbon or bias tape or cord
- Stabilize the white fabric and hoop your fabric.
- Make your information fit in a 3”x4” space and attach the hoop and embroider.
- After the information is embroidered iron on you the piece of interfacing
- If you would like to embellish or embroider on the outside of your tag hoop a piece of your neoprene. Your design will need to be smaller than 4 inch by 5 inch finished size or finished size of tag.
- Continue to step 5 below.
- Iron on the heavy interfacing.
- Place Border Guide Foot on the machine.
- Place the first line of identification information on the machine according to your machines parameters being sure to use the locking stitch on the last letter of that line.
- Using your first line of writing and the lines on the Border Guide Foot, continue sewing your remaining information.
- Using your rotary cutter, ruler and mat, cut your identification information fabric to a rectangle ½ inch larger than the “writing”.
- Cut another piece of fabric the same size as the information piece. If you are using extremely heavy interfacing trim the seam allowance (1/4 inch) away to make it easier to turn right side out.
- Place your ¼ inch foot on your machine.
- With right sides together (if you are using a non-fusible interfacing make sure it is on the outside of one side of this “sandwich”), use your ¼ inch foot as a guide stitch on three sides: on top of your information, on the bottom of your information and to the right of your information.
- Trim the corners and turn right side out and press (if using fabric that can be pressed)
- Cut your neoprene pieces in to two 4 inch by 5 inch. You may cut this into a point if you wish.
- Mark the center of each piece of neoprene along the short edge.
- Measure down ¼ inch and mark.
- Place your button hole foot on the machine and place a ½ inch button in the back of your foot (you can just open the back ½ inch if you don’t have a appropriate size button)
- Select a button hole and pull down your sensor lever. Place your neoprene (single layer) at the mark under your button hole foot and make a buttonhole on each piece.
- Place the ¼ inch foot on the machine and lengthen your stitch to 3.5 for the top stitching on neoprene.
- Stitch along the two long sides of the neoprene leaving the side of the rectangle with the buttonhole and the opposite side open. Slide your information “card” you’ve made matching the raw edge with the edge of the tag without the buttonhole and stitch through all layers.
- Run a ribbon, cord or bias tape through buttonholes and attach to your suitcase!