Tailored Bed Skirt Tutorial
Be sure to give us feedback on this project below.
Time: 2-3 hours
Create a custom bed skirt tailored to fit any bed size. Instructions below are for a Queen Size Bed.
Janome Supplies Required:
Fabric And Notions Required:
- 4 ¼ yards 45” wide Fabric for skirt
- 2 yards 120” wide White Muslin
- Corrodinating thread
- Rotary Cutter
- Cutting Mat
- Measure the Length of your Bed (LOB) by the Width of your Bed (WOB). Write these measurements down. Measure the drop from the top of the box spring to the length desired for your bed skirt, and write that measurement down also.
- Add 1” to each of these measurements for cutting.
- For this example, the LOB is 82”, WOB is 62” and the Drop is 17”
- Cutting directions -
Cut 2 pieces 83” (WOB) x 18” (drop) from skirt fabric
Cut 1 piece 63” (LOB) x 18” (drop) from skirt fabric
Cut 1 piece 83” (WOB) x 63” (LOB) from Muslin fabric
- Using the Rolled Hem Foot “D” on your sewing machine, hem the top edge (head of bed) of the muslin. Set aside.
- Again, using the Rolled Hem Foot “D” on your sewing machine, hem the two short ends (18” sides) of each of the three skirt pieces for a finished edge.
- Fold and press the bottom edge up 1/4’’ towards the wrong side of the skirt pieces. Fold and press again 1/2" concealing the raw edge towards the wrong side of the skirt pieces. Stitch 3/8” from the folded edge to finish off the bottom edge. All three pieces of skirt fabric should now each be hemmed along three sides.
- With right sides together, match the bottom raw edge of the muslin with the raw edge of the short piece of skirt fabric. Stitch the raw edge using a serger.
- Repeat this step for the two side pieces.
- Press your bed skirt to remove any wrinkles, add to your box spring and enjoy you newly transformed bedroom.