Nancy Fiedler - Janome Educator
Be sure to give us feedback on this project below.
Level: Beginner - Advanced
Time: 3 Hours
The Snowstorm Skirt uses a lot of decorative stitches and techniques to create a one of a kind garment. By using the same color thread on fabric, you can create a texture that resembles snow. For the best results, you'll want to use a 9mm width machine so that you can acheive the biggest, most bold decorative stitches.
Janome Supplies Required:
- Any Janome 9mm Sewing Machine
- Any Janome serger
- Ribbon/Sequin foot G
- Beading foot
- Satin Stitch foot F
- Janome Embroidery Thread 800m color 001 white and 253 ivory white
- Artistic Metallic Thread color 391 pearl and 002 pure silver
- 6-7 Janome prewound bobbins
- Blue tip and Purple tip needles
- Artistic Press
- Any pencil skirt pattern
- Linen type fabric in yardage recommended
- Zipper and notions according to the pattern
- 2 yards Jenny Haskins Sheer Magic Plus
- 2-4 yards each of assorted trims i.e. sequin, fringe, ribbon, and beads
- Following manufacturer’s directions, fuse Sheer Magic Plus to wrong side of fabric.
- Cut out only facings or waistband pieces.
- Lay remaining fabric on flat surface and draw 3-5 gently waving lines across the width of the fabric.
At the Machine
- Thread machine with a prewound bobbin, and embroidery thread. Attach satin stitch foot F.
- Select multiple zigzag. Adjust Width 9mm Length 3mm
- Sew a decorative trim on the drawn lines.
- Add additional waving rows of decorative trims varying the waves for a random look and never crossing a previous row.
- Attach the ribbon sequin foot and choose a decorative stitch to add extra detail to ribbons
- After all the trims have been applied, select a decorative stitch, line up the edge of the satin stitch foot and sew a row of stitches, stop and lock off when the stitches reach a row of trim.
- Continue filling the fabric spaces with a variety of decorative stitches using a variety of white and metallic color threads. Cover the entire fabric with stitches and trims.
- Press the embellished fabric from the wrong side.
- Cut out the skirt front and back.
- Serge the sides edges of the front and back to create a smooth seamline and to secure ends of the trims.
- Construct the skirt according to the pattern directions.
- Press finished skirt from the wrong side.