Pom Pom Pillow
Be sure to give us feedback on this project below.
Time: 3 hours
Embroidering with yarn is more fun than you ever imagined! Quilt designs, straight stitch designs and some redwork can be taken to the next level by using yarn. This yarn embroidered applique pillow is one new idea for a gift for that Tween in your life. They love soft, cuddly and bright color patterned fabric.
Janome Supplies Required
o Memory Craft 11000 Special Edition
o Tear away stabilizer
o Clothsetter 11000
o Embroidery Hoop SQ
o Yarn Embroidery Foot P
o ¼” foot “O”
o Black polyester embroidery thread
o Pre-wound bobbin
o Blue Tip needle 11
o Clover Pom Pom makers ( Art #3124 - 1 3/8” and 1 5/8”)
Fabric and Notions Required:
• Straight pins
• Hand sewing needle
• Iron on tear away Stabilizer
• Fabric marking pen or chalk
• Chenille yarn – 1 skein
• 1 spool of black upholstery thread – for pom poms
-- ½ yard of print pink cotton fabric
-- 1/3 yard of blue print cotton fabric
1. Cut one – 14” square of pink print cotton fabric for embroidery.
2. Cut two 16 ½” x 11” (approximately)– for flange back.
3. Cut four 2 ½” x 4 ½” squares of blue print cotton fabric for appliqués.
4. Cut four 2 ½” x 18” strips of blue print cotton fabric for the borders.
1. Set up the Memory Craft 11000 for Professional Embroidery and attach the yarn embroidery foot.
2. Select edit, select the Quick Design Menu, option #3.
3. Select thumbnail #13, design #3.
4. Select “Rotate” and rotate the design 45 degrees counter clockwise.
5. Select the sizing tab and reduce the design to 50%.
6. Select the “Duplicate” tab and then select the sizing tab and increase the copied design to 55%, change the color of the second design to orange.
7. Select the “Duplicate” tab and then select the sizing tab and increase the copied design to 60%, change the color of the third to green. Special note – all diamonds must be a different color. This will allow control of the yarn embroidering.
8. Select the grouping tab and move the designs to right hand side one grid away from the middle.
9. Select the larger diamond and duplicate.
10. Move the new diamond to the left hand side of the middle of the grid.
11. Select mirror image and position one grid away from the middle.
12. Change the color to blue. Note – each diamond must be a different color.
13. Select the duplicate tab, and then reduce the design to 55%.
14. Change the color to brown.
15. Select the duplicate tab, and then reduce the design to 50%.
16. Change color to purple.
17. Repeat to yield 12 diamonds in four sections to form the design for the yarn embroidery appliqué.
18. Save the design to the built in memory as “Yarn”.
19. Select ok to proceed to the ready to sew screen.
20. Adjust the embroidery speed to 400 SPM
21. The color advance tab will be used several times during embroidery.
22. Advance to the middle diamond of the set on the top right hand side of the design.
23. Stitch out the middle diamond and then place the fabric for the appliqué over the stitching. Back up and stitch again and trim away excess fabric.
24. Advance to the middle diamond of the set on the top left hand side of the design.
25. Stitch out the middle diamond and then place the fabric for the appliqué over the stitching. Stitch again and trim away excess fabric.
26. Continue until all diamonds have the appliqué fabric stitched to the base fabric.
27. Advance to the inside diamond of the set on the top right hand side of the design.
28. Thread the yarn through the large opening on the foot.
29. Hold the cut end of the yarn to the fabric with your finger and stitch the inside diamond. Note – if yarn starts to travel back up and start again.
30. Advance to the middle diamond where you have just stitched.
31. Stitch the second diamond. Note – do not cut the yarn.
32. Advance to the outside diamond of this set and stitch.
33. Once all three diamonds are complete with yarn advance to the diamond set at the top left hand side of the design.
34. Start at the inside of the set and then proceed to the outer diamonds.
35. Complete stitching yarn until all four diamonds have three rows of yarn.
36. Remove fabric from hoop and true all four sides to yield an approximate 12 ½” square.
37. Set up the machine for Ordinary Sewing and attach the ¼ “foot “O”.
38. With right sides together attach the 2 ½” x 18” blue strips to all four sides.
39. Press and trim excess fabric.
40. Take one of the 16 ½” x 11” sections of pink print cotton fabric and fold under ¼” and press (on the 16” side). Fold and press again.
41. Repeat for the remaining 16 ½” x 11” piece.
42. Top stitch the folded under hems.
43. With right sides together place the two pink print cotton fabric back sections on the yarn embroidery block. Secure with pins.
44. Stitch all four sides. Press and turn right side out.
45. Using the 1 5/8”pom pom maker – make four pom poms. Special note – instead of tying it with yarn use the upholstery thread. Leave long thread tails for sewing onto the pillow later.
46. Using the 1 3/8 pom pom maker – make one small pom pom. Special note – instead of tying it with yarn use the upholstery thread. Leave long thread tails for sewing onto the pillow.
47. Using a hand sewing needle and the thread tail on the pom poms – attach to the pillow. Note – small pom pom is intended for the center.