Be sure to give us feedback on this project below.
Use your Janome serger to create the interesting pocket on the front of this purse. The Flatlock stitch and variegated thread makes a wonderful textured look on fabric. The purse is easy to construct too!
Approximate finished size - 10" wide x 6" deep x 2" across
Janome Supplies Required:
- Any Janome Serger
- Any Janome sewing machine
- Janome Serger thread
- Serger needles size 11
Fabric and Notions Required:
- 1/3 yd. black canvas or duck cloth
- 1/3 yd. black chintz
- 16" x 12" multicolor fabric for pocket
- 9 1/2" x 2" cardboard (optional)
- 14" length 1/2" cording
- All purpose thread
- Jewel tone variegated jeans stitch thread (1 spool)
- Floss threaders
- Water erasable fabric marking pen or chalk
- Rotary cutter
- Cutting mat
- Quilting ruler
- Hand sewing needle
- Seam sealant
- Using pattern piece #1, cut two from the black canvas or duck cloth.
- Using pattern piece #1, cut two from the black chintz.
- Using pattern piece #2, cut one from black chintz.
- Set up the MyLock 644D for a 3-thread (standard) Flatlock stitch.
- Set left needle thread tension at 1/2, upper looper at 3 and lower looper at 7.
- Set the STD/RH lever to RH.
- Adjust stitch length to 2 and differential feed to 1.0.
- Place Janome Serger thread in the left needle and the lower looper.
- Place the variegated jeans stitch thread in the upper looper.
- Using a fabric marking pen, mark lines across the 16" x 12" multicolor fabric on the right side, 1" apart.
- Fold the fabric wrong sides together at each marked line. Press.
- Starting at the top Flatlock the pressed lines. Do not cut fabric.
- Carefully press the seam open from the wrong side. Do not press near the creases.
- With wrong sides together fold in half and press.
- Using a fabric marking pen and quilting ruler, mark two 1" lines away from the center pressed fold. Repeat for other side.
- With wrong sides together press the marked lines.
- Using approximately 1/4" seam allowance, Flatlock the five vertical lines.
- Press seams from the wrong side.
- Using pattern piece #2, place it on the right side of the finished Flatlocked section and cut.
Hint: If desired angle the pattern piece so that the seams are slightly tilted.
- Set up serger for a 4-thread Serger stitch with Janome Serger thread in all four positions.
- Place the Flatlocked section and the pocket lining right sides together.
- Using 1/4" seam allowance, serge down the short long side. Press seam as sewn.
Note: The short long side is actually the top of the pocket.
- With the wrong sides together press under 1/2" on the long side of the Flatlocked section.
- Press under 5/8" on the long side of the lining piece, wrong sides together.
- On the right side of the front of the Perfect Purse (black canvas or duck cloth) place the lining piece of the pocket about 1" up from the bottom. Secure with pins.
Note: The Flatlocked section should be flipped up
- With fabric marking pen, mark a center dividing line for the pocket.
- Using the straight stitch on any Janome sewing machine, stitch on the marked line.
- Flip down the Flatlocked section and stitch across the bottom to secure the pocket in place.
- With right sides together, serge the front and back of the lining sections together at the sides only. Press seams as sewn and then to one side.
- With right sides together, serge the front and back of the Perfect Purse together at the sides only. Press seams as sewn and then to one side.
- With right sides together place the lining section inside the Perfect Purse. Line up seams and secure with pins.
- Using the sewing machine and 1/4" seam allowance, join the lining to the Perfect Purse at the top only.
Note: Sew around the top including the curves and top of the short ends. Do not sew the bottom.
- Press seam as sewn and then clip curves as needed.
- Turn right side out with lining side out. Press.
- Match up seams and secure with a pin.
- On both sides of the bottom fold in side seam 1" to form gusset. Secure bottom with pins.
- Without cutting the fabric serge across the bottom. Flip over and serge again.
- Turn right side out.
- Optional, cover cardboard with fabric and place in bottom of purse.
- Place one end of the cording between the two short ends on either side. Hand sew in place.