Be sure to give us feedback on this project below.
Here's a chance to use the Janome Cover Pro 1000 with your Memory Craft. A fun and pretty purse for any occasion. Finished size - approximately 11" x 11" with a 2" bottom
Janome Supplies Required
- Memory Craft 11000,Memory Craft 10001, 10000, 9500, or 300E (embroidery only)
- CoverPro 1000CP Cover Hem Machine
- PC Design Card #1018 (Redwork Collection)
- Clothsetter for your embroidery machine
- Embroidery Foot P
- Embroidery Hoop A
- 1/4 inch Seam Foot O
- Walking Foot
- Red Tip needle 90/14
- Two Schmetz Needles 90/14 (CoverPro)
Fabric and Notions Required:
- Two 12" squares of black duck cloth or canvas
- Two 12" squares of cotton fabric for lining
- One 2" x 45" strip of cotton lining fabric
- One 2" x 45" strip of black cotton fabric (not duck cloth or canvas)
- One spool Robison-Anton S.B. Polyester - color #5519 Scarlet Red (to be used for the CoverPro)
- One spool Robison-Anton S.B. Polyester - color #5839 Chrome Gray (to be used for the CoverPro)
- Janome bobbin wound with Robison-Anton Serger Floss - color #3632 "P" Red
- One spool of Robison-Anton S.B. Polyester Black thread - color #5596.
- One bobbin wound with Robison-Anton S.B. Polyester Black thread - color #5596
- One spool Robison-Anton Rayon thread - color #79031 Spicy Red
- One spool Robison-Anton Serger Floss - color #3663 Silver Grey
- One large button
- 10" of 1/4" ribbon
- 1/3 yard fusible interfacing
- Seam sealant
- Tube turner
- Hand sewing needle for button
- Fuse iron on interfacing to the wrong side of both 12" black squares.
- On the wrong side of one of the squares draw several waving lines. Some should intersect. Refer to the finished project for ideas.
- On the wrong side of the remaining black square mark crosshairs in the center for placement of the embroidery design.
- Set up the Memory Craft 10001 for Professional Style Embroidery.
- Insert size 14 Red Tip needle.
- Insert PC Design Card #1018.
- Select the PC Card tab. Select design #75.
- Select Edit. Select size and increase design to 120%. Select OK and then select OK again to proceed to the Ready to Sew screen.
- Place the bobbin with the Robison-Anton Serger Floss in the bobbin holder.
- Place the Robison-Anton rayon thread color #79031 Spicy Red in the needle.
- Take the 12" black square that was marked for embroidery and using the Clothsetter hoop the fabric wrong side up.
Note: The design will embroider on the right side of the fabric with the heavier thread.
- Stitch out the Rose. Do not stitch the letter "R".
- Remove hoop and remove fabric from hoop when design is complete.
- Set up CoverPro 1000 for a Chain Stitch using Elx705 size 90/14 needle.
- Place Robison-Anton S. B. Polyester Scarlet Red #5519 thread in the center needle and thread the Chain Looper with the Robison Anton Serger Floss.
- Set the Center needle tension to 8 and set the Chain Looper tension at 3 1/2 - 4. Set the stitch length at 3 and the differential feed at 1.0.
- With the wrong side of the fabric up stitch on some (refer to finished project) of the wavy lines you previously drew on the remaining 12" black square. Dab thread tail ends with seam sealant and set aside.
- Take the 12" black square with the embroidered rose and on the wrong side (interfacing) draw a 6" square around the rose, extending the lines to the raw edge of the fabric.
- Stitch on the four extended lines.
- Dab thread tails with seam sealant and set aside.
- Replace all red threads with the gray threads.
- Take the 12" square that has the wavy lines and stitch the rest of the wavy lines with the gray thread. Dab thread tails with seam sealant and set aside.
- Set up Memory Craft 10001 for ordinary sewing. Place Robison-Anton S.B. Black Polyester thread in the needle and bobbin.
- Attach the Walking foot.
- Take one of the 2" x 45" strips of fabric and with right sides together fold in half lengthwise. The strip should now be 1" x 45".
- Place the right side of the Walking foot on the raw edge of the strip and stitch down the long side.
- Repeat for the remaining 2" x 45" strip.
- Turn both strips right side out.
- Take both straps and tie them together in the center with a knot.
- Continue tying the straps together in knots until there are approximately 5 knots. Trim ends as needed and set aside.
Note: When tying the knots, leave at least 4" for strap free at the end for attaching to bag.
- Take the ribbon and tie a knot in the middle.
- Adjust the needle position to 7.0 to achieve a 1/4" seam allowance.
- Place the ribbon at the center at the top of the embroidered square on the right side. Stitch it in place.
Putting The Pieces Together
- With right sides together take the two embellished black canvas squares and stitch down both sides only to form a tube.
- Turn right side out.
- On the right side of the bag, take the knotted strap and place the two adjacent raw ends (there are four raw ends, be sure to use the two raw ends from the same strap strip) of one strap at the top parallel 3" in at each side seam of the tube. Line up raw edges. Stitch in place.
- Repeat for the opposite side.
- Turn tube wrong side out.
- At the bottom form a 2" gusset on both of the side seams. To form the gusset tuck the seam 1" in at each side of the side seam edge.
- Adjust needle position to 3.5 and stitch across the bottom of the embellished squares.
- Turn right side out.
- Adjust needle position to 7.0.
- Take the two lining pieces, right sides together sew down both sides to form a tube.
- With right sides together insert the embellished squares into the lining tube, matching side seams.
- Stitch around the top to join the embellished square to the lining. Be sure to catch the ribbon and the straps.
- Do not turn right side out.
- Pull the lining bottom away from the canvas.
Note: The squares should still be wrong side out.
- Form a 2" gusset at the bottom of the lining following step 6.
- Leaving a 3" opening stitch across the bottom.
- Turn right side out through the opening. Stitch the opening closed.
- Do not completely tuck in the lining. Let the lining stand up over the canvas so that it appears to be a binding.
Note: Since the canvas is a heavier fabric the lining will easily stand up.
- Hand sew on button.