Be sure to give us feedback on this project below.
Level: Beginner - Intermediate
Time: 2 hours
Janome Supplies Required:
- FM-725 Needle Punch Felting Machine
Fabric and Notions:
- Two – purchased felt rectangles
- 4” x 45” strip of organza (many different colored strips may be used)
- 4 yards of yarn (approximately)
- Assorted scraps of yarn – any weight
- Angelina for embellishing (optional)
- Roving for embellishing (optional)
- Hand sewing needle
- All purpose sewing thread
- 2 medium sized buttons
- Ribbon – 4’ or purchased spool (cording, shoelace, or chain may be substituted for necklace portion if desired)
- Water erasable marking pen
- Pressing cloth
- Take one of the purchased felt rectangles and embellish with the scraps of yarn, Angelina and Roving as desired.
- Trim the embellished felt rectangle to 11” x 7”.
- With wrong sides together, fold up the bottom of the fully embellished piece
3 1/4”. Use a pressing cloth; press a crease at the bottom fold.
- Lay open and flat and on the right side, measure approximately 2” down from one long side and in the center of the length mark a dot with the water erasable marking pen
- Take the strip of organza and cut a circle approximately 1” in diameter.
- Cut another circle slightly larger.
- Cut another circle slightly larger than the previous one.
- Holding the sides of the circle with your fingertips, place the largest circle on the dot and felt it using only a few punches.
- Take the middle sized circle and place it on top of the previously felted circle and felt it in the center using only a few punches.
- Take the smallest circle and place it on top of the previously felted two circles and felt it in the center using only a few punches. Note – if desired, make two or three smaller flowers in the same area. Be sure they are within the same centered area so as not to end up on the fold of the Mall Wallet.
Note: Diagram is not true to size but shows order of placement of organza circles.
- Take a 1” snip of yarn and form a small ball with fingers and felt to the center of the flower using only a few punches.
- Take the remaining purchased felt rectangle and embellish only 1/3 of it using the scraps of yarn, roving and Angelina.
- From the 1/3 embellished area, cut as listed
a. For the Ribbon Carrier – 2” x 1”
b. For the Change Purse Flap – 2 ½” x 2”
- On the section for the Change Purse Flap cut a hole for the button.
- Take a small piece of yarn and punch to each end of the cut to stabilize the slice and prevent it from stretching.
- Take a 10” length of yarn and felt to the two short sides and the long side that has the button slit.
- Take a 6” length of yarn and felt the two long sides of the Ribbon Carrier. (2” x 2 ½” section).
- Press the crease again using a pressing cloth. Careful not to press the flowers!
- Measure 3 ½” in from one side and using the water erasable marking pen, draw a line. Note: Only on the folded section.
- Cut a 4” piece of yarn from the 4 yards of yarn and felt it on the drawn line.
- Place the Change Purse Flap approximately ½” in from the side but even with the long edge at the top and secure with a pin. Fold the Ribbon Carrier in half and place it in the center top portion of the Mall Wallet.
Note: You may have to hold with your finger tips.
- Felt the Change Purse Flap and the Ribbon Carrier to the wallet.
- Take the rest of the yarn and felt it to the edge of the three sides of the Mall Wallet. Do not felt yarn to the bottom fold.
- Fold Mall Wallet into thirds. Using a pressing cloth, press the folds with the iron.
- Cut a 6” section of ribbon and fold in half and make a knot joining the two cut ends. This will be the button loop.
- On the folded side, mark the center of the short side where the Change Pocket is sewn and place the ribbon.
Note: The knot should be on the same side as the Change Pocket.
- Using a hand sewing needle and thread sew the ribbon button loop to the Mall Wallet. The stitches should be within the felted area so they will not to show.
- Using a hand sewing needle and thread, sew the button in place for the Change Pocket Flap.
- Fold Mall Wallet in thirds and mark the place for the button that will be secured with the button loop.
- Using a hand sewing needle and thread, sew the button in place.
- Cut approximately 40” section of ribbon.
- Run ribbon through the Ribbon Carrier and tie in a double knot. This is the necklace that will hang around the neck.
- Insert change and paper money and go shopping!