Be sure to give us feedback on this project below.
Level: Beginner - Intermediate
Time: 3 hours
Sue got her inspiration for these Luggage Identification Tags from Marianna Cary of Lutz, Florida who shared the idea with her. Marianna had made an identification tag for her son's backpack. Sue quickly adapted the idea for her own suitcase. Make these for yourself and you will be able to identify your suitcase a mile away.
Download and print out patterns using link at top of page. Pattern pieces A, B and C are all included in one PDF file.
Janome Supplies Required:
- Any Janome Sewing Machine
- Ultraglide foot
- Satin Stitch foot F
- Janome Embroidery thread - to match fabric
- Blue Tip needle 75/11
Fabric and Notions Required:
- Two 5 1/2" x 6 1/2" pieces of contrasting cotton fabrics
- One 2" x 10" piece of cotton fabric for strap
- One 3 1/2" x 4" light weight plastic
- One 5 1/4" x 4" Buckrum or other stiff stabilizer for inside of tag
- Using pattern piece A, cut one from each fabric piece.
- Using pattern piece B, cut one from stabilizer.
- Cut one strap 2" x 10" from one of the fabric pieces.
- Press the strap in half lengthwise. Place the raw edges toward center and press again. Fold in half and press once again. The raw edges are now concealed in the center.
- Set-up your sewing machine for a straight stitch. Insert a Blue Tip needle. Place Janome Embroidery thread in the needle and bobbin. Snap on the Satin Stitch foot F.
- Sewing close to the edge of the fabric, stitch down both sides of the strap. Set aside.
- Press under a 1/2" seam allowance all the way around both of the fabric pieces A.
Hint: Use the stabilizer as a guide for pressing. Place the stabilizer on the wrong side of the fabric and then press the raw edges around the stabilizer.
- Sandwich the stabilizer between the two pieces of fabric. Insert the strap ends at the top of the tag. A loop will form.
- Sewing on the edge of the fabric, topstitch the three layers together.
- Cut a piece of plastic 3 1/2" by 4".
- Place the plastic on one side of the tag using the placement guide on pattern piece C.
- Snap on the Ultraglide foot. Straight stitch the plastic in place, leaving the top open.
- Insert your pertinent information and you are done.
- Loop the strap around the handle of desired bag and slip the tag through the loop.
Hint: Marianna suggests that you sew the top of the plastic closed once your pertinent information has been placed inside the plastic. This prevents anyone from removing your name and inserting theirs.