Dime Store Dollie
Be sure to give us feedback on this project below.
Time: 1 hour
Everybody loves craft projects! The Dime Store Dollie is just the right one for Mom and the kids to do on a rainy day. It is fast, fun charming gift for Grandma, teacher, aunt, or anyone that you want to let know how much you appreciate them. Using a small can of tomato paste for the body the rest is just plain easy. Everyone can pitch in and help with the construction of this cute doll. It can be a shelf decoration, paper weight or night stand friend.
Janome Supplies Required
o Any Janome Sewing machine
o ¼” foot “O”
o Thread to match fabric
o Bobbin wound with thread to match fabric
o Blue Tip needle 11
Fabric and Notions
• 7 ½” x 5” print cotton fabric for body
• 6” x 3” print or solid cotton fabric for arms
• Pipe cleaner 5”
• Hand sewing needle
• 6 oz. can of tomato paste
• One 1 ½” wooden knob – for head
• One silk flower petal – for hair/hat
• One 6” x 2 ½” piece of ruffled lace
• One – 3” square of craft felt
• Permanent glue
• Black and Red fine tip permanent markers – to draw eyes and mouth on knob
• White out – to place a dot in the center of the eyes (use a toothpick for application)
Adult - sewing and gluing
Child – help with assembly and holding parts in place until glue sets
1. Attach the ¼” foot “O” and adjust the stitch length to 2.6.
2. Place the can on the craft felt and trace the bottom then cut out the circle. Set aside for later.
3. With right sides together fold the 7 ½” x 5” piece of fabric to yield 3 ¼” x 5”.
4. Sew the 3 ¼” ends together to form a tube.
5. Slide the fabric tube over the can of tomato paste.
6. Using a hand sewing needle and thread do a running stitch at the top and at the bottom to gather the fabric around the can.
7. Still using the hand sewing needle and thread do a running stitch at the top of the lace to form a gathered collar.
8. Adhere the craft felt circle to the bottom with the permanent glue and set aside.
9. Adhere the lace collar to the top with the permanent glue and set aside.
10. Draw eyes, eye lashes and mouth on wooden knob with the fine tip permanent markers. Note – this allows time for the glue to set.
11. Adhere the wooden knob to the top with the permanent glue and set aside. Note – may need to hold in place until the glue starts to set.
12. Dab a small amount of glue on the top of the wooden knob and attach the silk flower petal. Note – the flower petal is hair/hat.
13. Take the 6” x 2” piece of fabric and place the pipe cleaner at one end on the wrong side of the fabric. Note- to hold in place dab a very small amount of glue.
14. Roll the fabric around the pipe cleaner to the opposite side.
15. Fold under the raw edge approximately ¼”.
16. Stitch on the rolled side to hold the fabric together.
17. Fold under both ends approximately ¼” and secure the fold with the permanent glue.
18. Bend the arms into a curve and secure to the sides of the can with the permanent glue. Note – may need to hold in place until glue starts to set.
19. To form hands pinch the center of the arms. Note – the inserted pipe cleaner will hold the pinch.