Maddie Bushman, Educational Coordinator, Janome America
Be sure to give us feedback on this project below.
As seen on Quilt Central TV
This quilt square technique has been around for decades but still excites the eyes of any quilter that sees it. You can design the squares to feature a favorite motif or make use of your scraps. These modified instructions are made easy using strip piecing. You can cut out multiple squares all-in-one sitting and complete the project in less than a day. This is one quilt square that you will be anxious to make over and over again.
Janome Supplies Required
- Any Janome machine
- 1/4" foot O
- Satin Stitch foot F
- Blue Tip needle 75/11
Fabric and Notions Required
- 2/3 yd. blue cotton
- 1 yd. coordinating print cotton
- 1/3 yd. pink print cotton
- 25" x 25" batting
- Cotton quilting thread
- Monofilament thread
- Bias tape maker
- StarmakerÆ 8 ruler
- Spray Adhesive
The StarmakerÆ 8 ruler can be purchased from:
Kaye Wood, Inc.
P.O. Box 456
West Branch, MI 48661
- Cut two 3 1/2" x width of fabric strips from blue fabric.
- Cut two 2 1/2" x width of fabric strips from blue fabric.
- Cut three 3 1/2" x width of fabric strips from print fabric.
- Cut two 1 1/2" x width of fabric strips from pink fabric.
- Cut two 2 1/2" x 10" strips from blue fabric for sashing.
- Cut three 2 1/2" x 21" strips from blue fabric for sashing.
- Cut three 2" x width of fabric strips from pink fabric for binding.
- Cut one 25" x 25" square from print fabric for backing.
- Set up your Janome machine for ordinary sewing.
- Select a Straight stitch. Adjust the length to 1.8.
- Sew one 3 1/2" blue strip to 3 1/2" print strip to form a tube, right sides together. Do not turn right side out.
- Repeat for with another 3 1/2" blue and print strips.
- Using the StarmakerÆ 8 ruler, cut the strips into 3 1/2" squares. Press seam to dark side.
- Sew one 2 1/2" blue strip to one 1 1/2" pink strip, right sides together. Press seam toward blue fabric.
- Cut into 3 1/2"squares.
- Cut the remaining 3 1/2" print strip into 3 1/2" squares.
- Arrange 3 1/2" squares following diagram.
- Sew squares together to complete one Churn Dash block.
- Repeat to create three more blocks.
- Sew 2 1/2" x 10" sashing strip between blocks. Trim as needed.
- Sew one 2 1/2" x 21" sashing strip between joined blocks. Trim as needed.
- Sew remaining 2 1/2" x 21" sashing strips to either side of joined blocks. Trim as needed.
- Sew 2 1/2 " x 25" sashing strips to the top and bottom of joined blocks. Trims as needed.
- Attach the Satin Stitch foot F.
- Thread the needle with Monofilament thread and bobbin with coordinating cotton thread.
- Adjust the stitch length to 2.6
- Secure the quilt top to the batting with pins. Do not trim excess batting.
- Stitch in the ditch along the inside sashing. Remove pins.
- Spray the back of the batting with spray adhesive.
- Adhere to the wrong side of the backing fabric. Do not trim excess.
- Stitch in the ditch around the four center squares. Trim excess batting and backing.
- Make binding using bias tape maker. (approximately 99" in length)
- Attach binding to quilt.
Hint: For easy application of the binding, select left needle position and adjust stitch length to 2.6.