Using CoverPro Hem Guide
Professional-looking cover stitch hems are so simple to make using the Janome CoverPro Hem Guide.
The CoverPro Hem Guide folds over a consistent width of fabric for you, making it easy to form hems, cuffs, and other finished edges. When sewing the hem of a tubular item such as a skirt, you can press the release button as you near the finish to release the guide and then finish the rest as you hem.
1. Prepare the fabric by pressing the hem to the desired width from 5/8” to 1 ¾” deep.
2. Attach the Hem Guide to the looper cover on the machine, placing the two setscrews provided into the inner pair of holes on the cover. Lightly tighten the setscrews to hold the attachment in place.
3. Place the fabric right side up under the presser foot. Lower the needles so that the left needle just catches the raw edge of the hem. Slide the guide to the left to align the guide step with the raw edge of the hem. Tighten the setscrews to firmly hold the attachment in place.
4. Release the sliding guide on the left side of the attachment by pushing on the lever on the bottom side of the Hem Guide. Insert the sliding guide over the raw edge of the hem.
5. Loosen the two thumbscrews on the topside of the Hem Guide and move the cloth guide to the left until it touches the hem edge. Tighten the thumbscrews to secure the cloth guide in position. Push the hem smoother to the left to hold them hem in position while sewing.
6. Start sewing and gently guide the raw edge along the guide step.
7. When the starting point of the hem has rotated to approximately 2” away from the beginning, release the sliding guide by pushing the release button on the bottom side of the Hem Guide to sew a continuous line of stitching.