Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Artistic 18
Topic Summary: Where to find reviews
Created On: 02/12/2013 09:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/12/2013 09:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Quilthappy

Where can one find reviews about the Janome Artistic longarms. I have search and searched and can not seem to find out any info other then the discription literature of the machines. Before one wants to purchase the longarm they like to read the review. I know or have been told they are made by TinLizzy but no info on their site.

Does anyone have reviews?

-------------------------
Donna in DE
MC12000
Janome Artistic 18
 02/12/2013 03:26 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

I wasn't aware that Janome had a long arm. I haven't seen one in my travels and I was to a couple events in Arizona in January.

Cheryl

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 02/12/2013 08:49 PM

Author Icon
Quilthappy

copied this from a site.

"New Artistic Long Arm by Janome
We are excited to introduce the ARTISTIC 18 LONG ARM QUILTETR. This machine has a 5 year warrenty,stitch regulator, oil reservoir, built-in-bobbon winder, largest capacity bobbin, flrxible lamp, needle up needle down, ergonomic handles makes this your best choice for your in home long arm machine. You have an 18" open area and the price is right.
The Janome Artistic 18 and Artistic 26."

It does not have Janome on the machine, has Artistic.... I have been told it is made by Tin Lizzy. I can not find information about this LA quilt machine. Since I have a MC11000 I was thinking of purchasing the Artistic 18. I am so disappointed that I can not find a review pros or cons. Without reading some reviews pros and/or cons about the machine I am now looking to purchase another brand. If some one has the Artistic 18 and would like to share some information, I would be most appreciative. I want to give the Janome a fair chance.

Donna in DE

Donna in DE
MC12000
Janome Artistic 18
 02/12/2013 08:58 PM

Author Icon
craftychipmunk

I just googled "Janome Artistic longarms" and came up with a number of sites referring to them. One forum site mentioned that they are made by TinLizzy, ( as well as some other well known brands), and are about $8000. Don't know what all comes with that price, hopefully the frame is included at that price.

MC11000SE
Babylock Imagine serger
Digitizer Pro/MB
Calgary AB

Edited: 02/12/2013 at 08:59 PM by craftychipmunk
 02/14/2013 01:47 PM

Author Icon
Quilthappy

I have found sites selling the longarm as well. I am looking for reviews of the machines. The good and bad. I have not been able to locate any reviews. One would think since the Janome name is linked to the longarm they would have a website.

Donna in DE
MC12000
Janome Artistic 18
 03/24/2014 04:54 AM

Author Icon
smlane

I am VERY interested in the Janome Artistic 26 which I recently saw at a quilt expo. I am having a difficult time finding information about this machine, and it is not even LISTED on the Janome site - yet I know it exists. I'm a "researcher" and want to know as much as possible BEFORE I purchase a machine (which I plan to do in the very near future). I have found a one-page overview on one or two dealer websites, but cannot find any detailed info. I plan to purchase the computer-module for whichever machine I buy and cannot find anything about what software comes for the Artistic, or which software is compatible. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Susan L.
 03/24/2014 09:50 AM

Author Icon
digimad

The names are misleading, the long arm machines wear the Artistic brand, the Janome flash is only used in America, it isn't a machine made by Janome, but only endorsed by Janome USA. So those who believe it is in fact made by another manufacturer are probably correct. If you visist the Artistic Site Artistic long arm machines you will see there is no mention of Janome, they haven't been allowed to use the Janome flash for some time.

digimad

Edited: 03/24/2014 at 11:28 AM by digimad
 03/24/2014 05:28 PM

Author Icon
smlane

I understand. But wouldn't you think that Janome would show them on their website seeing they are sold under the Janome "name" - seems like they are missing a good marketing opportunity.

Susan L.
 03/25/2014 09:34 AM

Author Icon
digimad

Why would Janome show them on their website, they aren't a Janome product, anymore than the Artistic Sewing Suite is. Unfortunately Janome USA 3 years ago decided to endorse a non Janome product allowing the company that wrote the Artistic Sewing Suite to show a Janome flash.

Janome Japan had not given their consent to the Janome name being associated with a product they had no involvement with, so rescinded the right for the Artistic product list from displaying the Janome name on their products. The fact that once again the Janome name is being presented to look as though the machines are a Janome product, when they aren't, is indicative of a lesson not having been learnt.

Janome Japan is very jealous of its reputation for quality machines and software associations, which is why the only Janome branded software is that made by Wilcom, MBX, it's also the only one Janome Japan allows to be sold internationally, the Artistic Sewing Suite is sold only in North America and as a cheap alternative to Janomes flagship software MBX, in Russia.

digimad
 04/06/2014 11:14 AM

Author Icon
Pandee

I have a artistic 26" dx. Would you please tell me how to read a post
 04/06/2014 11:50 AM

Author Icon
Pandee

I have a 26"dx. I am new to this so if you will tell me how to read and reply I will share info with you
 04/06/2014 09:06 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Pandee,

You just read all the threads in a certain topic and click "Reply" to write a message. However, Janome does not make a long arm or a medium arm machine to my knowledge and this is "The Janome" forum operated by Janome America. There must be some Yahoo Forums just related to Long Arm Quilters, where those interested can join to obtain information.

Another way would be for you to send a "Private" message to the lady asking questions. You can find that on the top bar of "HER" post, it is a little yellow/orange bubble quote with 2 white lines in it. Then you can decide if you want to exchange email addresses or even phone numbers to communicate privately.

Cheryl

Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 04/07/2014 05:35 PM

Author Icon
Pandee

Cheryl, you are right and you are wrong. The artistic 18" and 26" is sold by JANOME dealers as a Janome machine. It is actually manufactured by Tin Lizzie and is the same machine at the 18" and 26" ESD.
 04/07/2014 11:42 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

I've seen the Tin Lizzie at quilting shows, but there have been 3 dealers in my city, only one remaining and NONE of them ever mentioned a Janome long arm or sold it or the Tin Lizzie. I will have to keep my eyes open when I visit other Janome dealers to check this out.

Thanks for the information.

Cheryl

04/13/2014 10:48 AM

Author Icon
Quilthappy

I have the Janome Artistic 18 purchased from a Janome dealer in DE. It is made by Tin Lizzy so I am told. But you will not find any info re the Janome Artistic 18 other then on the http://www.artisticsewingsuite.com.

Donna in DE

Donna in DE
MC12000
Janome Artistic 18
 06/23/2014 09:49 AM

Author Icon
texanquilter

Hello, I am new here, so be patient with me when I post at first.

Back in April, 2014 I purchased the Artistic 18 Sit-down machine from an area Janome dealer. (I had been previously using two Brother Quilt Club 1300 machines with 9" stitch field. Both died on me right in the middle of a king-size quilt.) I had test-driven 4 different brands of sit-down machines and ended up buying the Artistic 18 sit-down model.

I test-quilted for 3 full days to get a feel for the machine. I thought that was enough time to confidently complete this king-size quilt. Wrong.

The needle kept getting hung up at the seamed intersections of the quilt. I had originally had no issues with my test sandwiches I used to play with the machine. I ended up ripping out a 5' section FOUR TIMES IN ONE DAY because the needle jammed at intersctions.

My dealer told me to raise the foot a hair to clear those seams...which I did. Well, apparently I raised it too much. When the needle cleared those seam intersections, the thread popped on the rest of the top! I was beyond upset by this time.

As the dealer had no other info for me, he contacted his Regional Manager, who got hold of a Janome Educator located in San Antonio who called me that afternoon.

to make a very long story shorter, she agreed that the poorly organized manual that came with the Artistic 18 needs to be totally revamped, including better photos and detailed information. She swears that once I get the foot adjusted just right, I should be good to go. That was late April. Well, that's just fine--except it didn't help me much with this nightmare of a situation.

I ended up putting the entire mess in a bag and going on to other orders. This foot on the 18 is a stationary foot and does not move such as my Brother 1300s feet did. Because this sit-down unit has a permanent foot and I move the quilt for free-motion quilting, a better knowledge of this machine is required to make adjustments. The only markings on this unit are the tension disk.

I finally located the Tin Lizzie Long Arm Quilters on FB and the gal did give me better info than anyone else had. She suggested getting a dime and placing it under the foot, and setting the foot right on the dime when adjusting the height. Well, I have not tried it again since I got such a bad taste in my mouth with this but am thinking I may try it again this week.

Just thought I'd give a personal "review" of this machine and what needs to be improved, as I feel like I wasted $4,000 on a machine that the dealer couldn't help with and the Educator says needs better info for the customer. BTW, the machine sits on the table...and sits...and sits...and I have absolutely NO DESIRE to work with it. Talk about a lesson learned!!
 06/23/2014 11:15 AM

Author Icon
texanquilter

I also meant to say that it looks like I'll have to make "test samples" of each quilt BEFORE I actually quilt each, to test the settings. I honestly don't see how I can avoid having to do this when using the Artistic 18.

Does the Artistic 18 "long-arm" unit offer the same stationery foot as the sit-down unit does? I saw a Nolting long-arm demonstrated over the weekend and since the machine itself moves, there don't seem to be as many adjustment issues with an actual long-arm.
 06/28/2014 07:03 AM

Author Icon
texanquilter

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: I have had a real problem getting this foot balanced above a dime, right at the seamed intersections, and the foot keeps merging to the right--i.e., it's off center with the needle. Same problems I had 2 months ago. My dealer swears, that because he could create the identical foot position on his floor demo model, that it's something I can remedy. Yesterday I spent 2 hours working with this darn foot to get it set just right. I was in TEARS--again. And there is STILL no updated info, according to the Janome dealer, to help me.

I am about ready to trade this in on a regular ong-arm system and tell the dealer (where I have purchased probably 12 machines in 15 years) I'll never be back--and that Janome has really left the consumer with NO EDUCATION regarding this machine. The sad thing is, I had a cutout made to custom-fit this machine in my corner of the studio and if the machine doesn't work correctly AND EASILY, I'll now have to pay for a new countertop section.

In all the years I have been sewing, embroidering and quilting, I have NEVER felt so alone when it comes to information. Where am I supposed to go, when my dealer doesn't have any and nor will the Janome educator follow up on my emails. This is very upsetting to me because I have customers wanting me to make them king-size quilts and I have NOTHING--I REPEAT--NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT, WITH NO MACHINE I CAN USE.

SO, Quilthappy, here is my very NEGATIVE REVIEW FOR THE ARTISTIC 18" SIT-DOWN MACHINE. I WISH YOU BETTER LUCK!
 07/06/2014 07:38 PM

Author Icon
Ohsewsally

I have an artistic 18 DX, I. Ought last march at the Lancaster quilt show.
It took me a while, but I am loving it. I had a Janome mid arm for three years , prior.
I also bought the robot , and I have the ten foot table, freedom frame.
It is hard to find info, but I am using whatever you tube videos on longarm quilting, I can find.
I am sorry there are no local classes, but the dealer was great.
Any more info would also be helpful.

Ohsewsally
FORUMS : Quilting : Artistic 18

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
87057 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.