Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Need your opinions please!!!
Topic Summary: Which machine(s) to purchase
Created On: 10/29/2012 05:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/29/2012 05:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bzquiltin

I need some input from all you Janome owners. I posted a couple of weeks ago when I was thinking about buying the 7700. I called the Janome dealer closest to me (I have close friends who have purchased from them and are 100% happy with their sales and service). We chatted a little while about the 7700 and he did tell me he has had several customers who were not happy with a couple of features. He said the new 8900 seems to have resolved the issues with the 7700. It also has 11 inches of harp space. It is also approximately $4000 versus $2500 for the 7700. He did say they would throw in some nice extras for that price. I had myself talked into getting the 8900. He and I started talking about free motion quilting and he asked me if I had seen or tried the Baby Lock Tiara. It is similar to the Handiquilter Sweet 16....a sit-down semi long-arm with a 16" harp for FMQ, table included, priced around $5300. I read all about the Tiara, watched the demo video, etc. I can see where this machine would be a wonderful investment for anyone who does a lot of free motion quilting. I certainly will not need the 8900 if I decide to go with the Baby Lock Tiara. But, I am still in the market for a great machine for piecing, decorative stitches, binding, stitch-in-the-ditch ..... basically everything related to quilting besides FMQ. I have a friend who has the Janome 6600P and she says she sews and quilts on it every day and loves it. The price on this one is around $1500. I have just about made up my mind to go with the 6600P and then saving for the Baby Lock Tiara after that. That would give me a great Janome for piecing and most quilting and then plenty of room for FMQ with the Baby Lock Tiara. Do any of you have experience with the 6600P or the Baby Lock? Do you think this would be a wise decision versus paying $4000 for the 8900? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

bzquiltin aka Rhonda M.

-------------------------
bzquiltin --- Live in the beautiful Bluegrass state, child of God, wife, mother, daughter, quilter, amateur photographer, basket lover, football fan, gardener, and did I mention quilter?
 10/29/2012 07:39 PM

Author Icon
MOM

The 8900 just came out last weekend. It is a little different from the 7700. The difference between the two is the dual feed attaches a little different. The width of the decorative stitch is 9mm instead of 7mm the single hole plate (which I never use) is a seperate plate instead of being built in. Other than the difference in $$ It is basiclly the same machine. the harp space on both machines are the same. The 11 inches actually I think it is 11 and 1/4 inch. I for myself see no reason to purchase the 8900. I love the 7700 and for little bit if difference I would not pay the $$. I do not do free motion but if I did I still would not change my mind.

Hope this helps.

MOM
 10/29/2012 07:50 PM

Author Icon
bzquiltin

Thank you MOM, and I definitely value your opinion because you already know these machines. It could be that I would never need anything bigger than the 7700 for all my quilting needs, including FMQ. I am going to take some quilt sandwiches with me to the shop and give the 6600, 7700, 8900, and Baby Lock Tiara a try to help me decide. I have been looking at the 7700 for a few months now and have had my heart set on it.

bzquiltin --- Live in the beautiful Bluegrass state, child of God, wife, mother, daughter, quilter, amateur photographer, basket lover, football fan, gardener, and did I mention quilter?
 10/29/2012 08:17 PM

Author Icon
Janomed

Hi Rhonda,
I bought a Janome 6600 in May and have never been more pleased. It does beautiful FMQ as well any other type I have done. My suggestion would be to try out any of the machines you are interested in and then decide how you feel about each of them according to what your budget is. I was undecided between the 6600 and 7700, but I really liked the 6600 and decided on it and have never regreted my choice. Hope you find the one you like, I know you will chose the right one. With Janome you can't go wrong.

Janomed
 10/29/2012 08:37 PM

Author Icon
bzquiltin

Thank you Janomed. My friend who owns the 6600 has only great things to say about hers. I do straight stitch quilting as well as FMQ, so it would be great to find one affordable machine that will do it all. I have had a Bernina for years now and am ready to make the jump to Janome; it is just a matter of which one to choose. I am really looking forward to my trip to the dealer and try them out!

Statistics
89962 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.