Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: 9500 free motion quilting
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/31/2012 11:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/31/2012 11:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
spr4830

I am having a problem with free motion quilting. No matter what I do about tension, the top thread is showing and making little loops on the bottom of the quilt sandwich. I am using the convertible free motion foot. I called my Janome dealer here and she said to change my needle which I did but it didn't help.
 07/31/2012 01:17 PM

Author Icon
jsm1144

Since you're using the convertible foot, is it a high shank?? It must be. then when you start, make sure that the presser foot lever is down-it doesn't really change the foot much and if you have a machine that will stitch with the foot up, there's no tension (but that would produce loops on the back. Also try loosening your top tension and if that doesn't work, totall rethread your machine-take the thread and the bobbin right out of the machine and reinsert them. If that doesn't work, you'll have to tighten your bobbin tension a bit. What thread are you using?
 07/31/2012 05:48 PM

Author Icon
spr4830

Im using regular sewing thread. Coats and Clark. I have not tried rethreading everything but will try it next. and yes it is a high shank foot. I have tried the tension but will try it again. I'm wondering if a different bobbin holder would help any.
 07/31/2012 06:00 PM

Author Icon
digimad

If you're seeing your top thread as little loops on the reverse of your quilt your top tension is too loose. Don't adjust your bobbin tension. You'll find your top thread tension dial above the threading channel, whatever its set on now increase it to a full size higher and test it. just fine tune that top thread tension until you no longer get top thread loops on the reverse of you quilt.

-------------------------
digimad

Edited: 07/31/2012 at 06:01 PM by digimad
Statistics
82981 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.