Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: stippling problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/02/2010 03:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/02/2010 03:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ksw225

When I stipple on my MC6600, my back thread is loose. I have changed thread tensions, thread, feeddog/foot height, speed, thread, batting...everything I can think of. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance
 04/02/2010 07:41 PM

Author Icon
Roxanne

You can get a free motion bobbin holder that is set at a lower tension. I was having problems with tension on the back side also and this bobbin holder made a big difference.
 04/03/2010 10:29 AM

Author Icon
crashnquilt

The free motion bobbin case does make a big difference. Also, since stippling is a massive amount of curves, you have to move slow. Just like driving a car, you have to slow down on the curves.

If I am doing a small, close stipple, I use fine thread in the needle and the bobbin. For find stippling I use Superior So Fine or MaxiLock serger thread. For the needle I sometimes use a fine quality embroidery thread with fine thread in the bobbin. Also, I find that I have to tighten the needle tension a smidge for stippling.
 04/04/2010 01:29 PM

Author Icon
Warbler

I like to recommend that you make sure to thread the machine with the pressure foot raised, that releases the tension discs and allows the thread to sit properly between them.

As for the bobbin holder for FMQ'ing (blue marked), I have it too and I really like it but you should not be deterred from adjusting the tension on the standard case yourself. I have three bobbin holders, one for regular sewing, one for quilting, and one for applique. The applique was an extra standard holder I adjusted for tight applique stitches. If you adjust the holder yourself for free motion quilting, make sure you make notes as to the original position of the set screw. Turn the screw counter-clockwise (loosen) as if each movement of the screw is like the face of a clock and set it at each hour begining at the original setting. Test each position until the stitches are correct and balanced on both top and bottom.

-------------------------
Janome MC6600, Bernina 240, Juki MO735 serger, 1948 221-1, 1951 201-2
 07/07/2012 02:41 AM

Author Icon
boss4025

Can anyone help with with Stippling. My bottom thread is showing.

paulinegard
 07/07/2012 02:41 AM

Author Icon
boss4025

Can anyone help with with Stippling. My bottom thread is showing.

paulinegard
 07/12/2012 11:52 PM

Author Icon
lisaandjo

Decrease top tension and/or increase bobbin tension! ... Decrease top tension and/or increase bobbin tension! ... Tooooo much good quilting/sewing time is lost stuffing around with bobbin tensions, A new bobbin case for every new bottom thread, is my policy!!! ... it's not that they cost heaps!! I'm too old to waste time, which is a gift!! ... REMEMBER, RIGHTY TIGHTY, LEFTY LOOSEY, I wind a bobbin, pop it in a case, adjust left until i can't lift the case off the table, with the thread lifting very gently, 1/8th of a clockface at a time, Then adjust Right 2 1/8ths, i lift a little quicker about an inch/25mm, or so, i want the case to lift off the table, then fall back to the table, then adjust 1 more 1/8th right, Jobs dun!! ... Try it you'll like it.
By then adjusting top tension, I have always been able to achieve balanced stitches!!!

What do You think???

Cheers
Geoff
Statistics
91725 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.