Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Free motion quilting (thread breaking)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/06/2009 03:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/06/2009 03:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
besummer

I have recently used my new 6600 for free motion quilting and had a problem with the thread breaking. I was doing a large "meander" stitch. Every time I guided the quilt in a curve toward the left and up away from me, the thread broke! It was as extremely frustrating!!! I changed the needle, changed the tension, cleaned out the bobbin case, and changed the thread and nothing helped. Has anyone else had that problem and been able to solve it??? I've never had that problem on my old machine and have no idea what to do next. Thanks for any help you can give.

Ellie
 10/06/2009 08:42 PM

Author Icon
Warbler

Hello Ellie, Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about the thread breaking but the first question that comes to mind, is the size needle being used. I have had great success using Schmetz Topstitch needle because the eye is larger than a quilting needle. I use a size 90/14 with a 50 wt or 40wt cotton thread. If you are sewing with a thicker thread like Sulky 30wt or 12wt, they are very heavy threads that demand a larger needle size like a 100/16. A fine 60wt will use a 80/12 needle. Changing the needle was the right decision but is it the right size for the weight of thread.

Another problem that can occur, being that you are new to the 6600, is to forget to raise the thread antenna. Alway double check the thread path to assure you have it threaded exactly the way it is described. Also check the thread tension. I general FMQ quilt at 6-7 but every machine has a slight variation. Continue to test various thread / needle combinations until you get what works best for you. As for quilting, make sure your movements are even and do not whip around corners but keep the speed of motion the same throughout. I hope this helps. Let me know what you find works best or if you have more questions.

-------------------------
Janome MC6600, Bernina 240, Juki MO735 serger, 1948 221-1, 1951 201-2
 10/15/2009 06:33 PM

Author Icon
longlake

Did you find the problem? Mine is doing the same thing. Since this machine is new to me I would appreciate any help troble shooting the thread breaking problem
 10/15/2009 08:45 PM

Author Icon
Warbler

Longlake, What model machine do you have? Is the thread breaking at the needle? If so, the most likely the wrong size needle for the weight thread would most likely be the culprit.

11/27/2009 11:37 AM

Author Icon
Lynne2009

Hi, I am using my 4900 QC for free motion quilting. The thread keeps breaking at the last but one metal guide. I am finding this really frustrating. Is it possible to FMQ successfully on a 4900QC? I'd appreciate a thumbs up from anyone who can and I will perservere. Only advice I've had so far is that FMQ is much more successful on a vertical bobbin system rather than the drop in which my machine has. Thanks for any help.
 11/27/2009 04:07 PM

Author Icon
Flystitch

I have a friend who has a 6500 which does not do too well on the FMQ.
 11/28/2009 08:29 PM

Author Icon
Warbler

Lynne do not give up... I would check to see if there is a small burr some where along the thread path. I would check each guide with unwaxed dental floss, by holding the floss as if you were doing your teeth but run the floss back and forth to see if the floss snags. If you find a problem then you can have your machine tech fix it or replace the guide. Also check your tension discs, make sure they are clean. I know there is a simple way to clean them but I just cant recall how to do it right now... I will have to check my notes and get back to you.

Flystitch, The Janome 6500 and 6600 machines are reputable machines for FMQ'ing. There are many reasons why any new quilter to FMQ would have problems, among them for starters are incorrect thread and machine needle pairing, improper tension settings in either top or bottom threads, if not at least lack of experience of the quilter. I would encourage your friend to join the Janome 6500/6600 Yahoo Group . They are a wonderful resource for owners of the 6500/6600 machines!

12/04/2009 08:39 AM

Author Icon
judygruber

So it isn't only me that has that problem and I was breaking either the thread or the needle itself. Like besummer I changed thread and the bobbin all to no avail. In desperation I went out and bought a heavier needle and used a 16 and 18...the 18 seemed to work better for the thickness I was working with. I was FMQing a project that was rather thick since I was using up some old polyester batting and the quilt top was a heavier wool type fabric. This resulted in a good 1-1/2 inch thickness to sew through. The heavier needle did the trick, although I admit I broke one of those needles too. I'm sure that is because you are tugging the thickness a bit too much and fighting the weight of the quilt, causing the needle to hit the foot.
 12/12/2009 11:38 AM

Author Icon
nantucketsue

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I have just taken possession of my new MC4900 and want to put some decorative stitching on the quilt using my WALKING FOOT. However, I am having problems with the top thread breaking using a straight stitch. I am using 100% cotton, I think it is 50 weight and a 14 needle. The batting is 80/20 cotton/polyester Request. I never had any problems with my 6125 Any advice would be welcome.
 12/12/2009 12:12 PM

Author Icon
knlsmith

Hello, I recently purchased 1600 and had the same problem. VERY frustrating. I did all the same things you did and still didn't work. I called my dealer and they looked at it. The needle bar was withing specs, however, he moved it just a touch and also had me load my bobbin in so it spins counter-clockwise. I think I had it in the other direction. I would be doing large meandering for a bit then break over and over. All seems well now. Hope this helps.

Janome 9500 Janome 1600 P-QC
I LOVE QUILTING!
You can never have too much fabric!
 12/12/2009 12:41 PM

Author Icon
devilcat

Don't quilt but here is some general advice which may help. Use a bigger needle. What kind of cotton are you using? Unless it is a good quality it will shred and break and also make lots of lint in your bobbin case. Coats mercerized is good but there are others. How old is your thread? It can dry out and become brittle This is more pronounced if you live in an area where the temperatures are extreme. I always drape a dark towel over my thread racks. It affords some protection from dust, UV rays etc. but is easy to flip off when you want some thread.

Jacquie

Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 12/22/2009 07:57 AM

Author Icon
laurieth

Can someone help me, I have a HT2008 and want to know if I can FMQ with it.
 12/31/2009 08:40 AM

Author Icon
memephyl

We have Heart Truth 2008 and my DH used it the other day to do some FMQ. We just used a regular low shank FMQ foot and lowered the feed dogs. It came out fine.
 01/30/2010 07:29 PM

Author Icon
Warbler

Any sewing machine with the ability to lower feed dogs can FMQ.

04/03/2010 07:35 PM

Author Icon
stephanie

I just purchased a janome 1600P machine and it is delightful when straight stitching. However, when I switched over to begin FMQ I was going along with a meandering stitch and it was beautifully working when it started shreading the thread apart at the needle. I have rethreaded and started over after checking out the threading pathway and get the same results...Starts out great and then, bam, thread is broken again. I am so excited to get this machine and can't wait to get this figured out. I am using a Coats All-purpose thread, That I have trusted for many years in other machines. I will now try changing needles, and such. Any advice is gratly apprecitated.

How did you solve this?

Stephanie

Stephanie Boots
Statistics
82765 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.