Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Haunted Janome
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/02/2007 05:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/02/2007 05:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mskintner

I have a Janome 8048 and it has developed a little problem and I hope someone can help me figure out what happened. A couple weeks ago it started operating on its own. I was across the room and it just started up and then tangled the thread into a knot which threw the error code. I was using it yesterday and after I let off the foot pedal the machine continued to sew and even picked up speed.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?
 07/02/2007 06:49 AM

Author Icon
sewwolf

Does that machine also have the capibility of unplugging the foot pedal and sewing automatcily when you push a button up top. Maybe the button is jammed or something wrong with the sensor.
 07/02/2007 06:54 AM

Author Icon
mskintner

No. My machine is only operated by using the foot pedal. I have unplugged it and plugged it back in and have cleaned it with compressed air and still have the problem.
 07/02/2007 10:52 PM

Author Icon
StitchS

I wish I had the answer my 10000 has done just that. My dealer has used some alcohol on the plastic of the foot where it slides into the pedel and that cures it for awhile then about 6 months later it will do it again.

-------------------------
Janome Educator for 7 years and proud Janome owner for 10 years.
Janome 10001,compulock,coverpro 1000,634D, Janome 9000, Digitizer Pro, Customizer,Lutterloh Educator and Professional Digitizer
 07/03/2007 05:45 AM

Author Icon
mskintner

I cant believe if this problem occurs enough that the dealer knows what to do that Janome has not come up with a fix or technical bulletin about it. Did your dealer give you any explanation for it?
 07/03/2007 06:03 AM

Author Icon
StitchS

Nope. He just cleans the pedal on the machine.

Janome Educator for 7 years and proud Janome owner for 10 years.
Janome 10001,compulock,coverpro 1000,634D, Janome 9000, Digitizer Pro, Customizer,Lutterloh Educator and Professional Digitizer
 07/03/2007 12:39 PM

Author Icon
sewwolf

lol I would freak if my sewing machine started running by itself. I did have to buy a foot pedal for and old Singer Rockteer and they sent me the wrong one. As soon as you turned the machine on with the pedal plugged in it stared running. The one they sent has reversed polarity then the one I needed lol.

Edited: 07/03/2007 at 12:41 PM by sewwolf
 07/10/2007 10:12 AM

Author Icon
sewLo

This happened to me with my MC 9000. I always called it dieseling...like when a car continues to run after you shut it off! I described what was happening to my dealer and they had no idea. One night when we were having a class at my dealer's it did its "thing" so they could see what I had been describing. I hollered out "look, ma, no hands!" It took a long time for them to decide what was happening. They had conversations with Janome. They did do something, but I'm not exactly sure what they did do in the end. Seems like it still did it periodically even after they worked on it. We decided it happened when the machine had been running for a long time. Mine most often did it when I was doing satin stitch shortly after I had done machine embroidery. I was usually doing an applique...not a good place for it to happen when you are trying to be precise! I don't know if it is still doing it or not as I don't use my MC9000 much these days, and when I do use it, I mainly use it for regular sewing...more precise things or machine embroidery I do on my MC11000.

MC11000
Customizer 11000
Digitizer Pro
MC 9000
Customizer 2000
 07/26/2007 08:15 AM

Author Icon
sewforth

this hasn't happened to me, but I do have a problem maybe someone has experienced and can explain why or tell me what's wrong. My 9500, sometimes, but not always will continue the back stitch after I have let go of the backstitch button. I have to repress it to get it to stop going backwards. It's sometimes, but not always, this inconsistency is what is confusing. I wonder if I should take it to my dealer, but then I think maybe its normal. I think you should be able to push the button as long as you want it to go backwards, then when you let go it should go forward. It seems like it agrees, most of the time, so when it continues after I let go, it's frustrating.
 02/26/2009 11:06 AM

Author Icon
KarinE

I have had this problem twice with my machine. The problem started when I was sewing, lifted my foot off the foot pedal but the machine continued going. The first time, the dealer replaced the foot even though they did tell me they had not heard of anyone ever having this problem. All has been fine for two years until this week when the exact same thing happened again. I was across the room at the ironing board and the machine just started up by itself. My husband took the foot pedal apart, cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip and it hasn't happened again. He is an electronics expert and was confident that he wouldn't do additional damage. He thought it was because the foot pedal gets dust in it because it sits on the floor all the time. I thought that was a convenient time to mention that sewers don't have time to vacuum!!! LOL
 03/03/2009 08:27 AM

Author Icon
judygruber

I've experienced the haunting with my 6260. Sometimes its only a few stitches after you take your foot off the pedal. Sometimes the machine takes off, naturally when you least want it to and you have to shut the machine off in order to stop it. I too have had the machine start on its own when I walked out of the room and forgot about it. Obviously there's something wrong here that Janome should be able to fix. Going to the repair shop is expensive and I've already had two service calls on my 6260 which is about 18 months old now. Then to have the repairman tell you it works fine, couldn't find anything wrong, clean it and you pay for what amounts to nothing...the problem isn't solved. I looked into replacing the pedal but that seems to be an expensive proposition as well and there's no guarantee that that's the problem. Anybody know where to get a reasonably priced replacement pedal????
 07/04/2009 11:29 PM

Author Icon
majcoloqltr

I was so glad to find this thread earlier today. I was able to open the pedal of my Janome 6260QC, clean the contacts with alcohol and my sewing machine runs just fine. I too have had the haunted machine that wants to sew on its own. Thanks for the hint.

majquilter
 07/05/2009 08:31 AM

Author Icon
judygruber

So comforting to know that I'm not the only one who experienced those problems. I have found that shutting off the machine when you aren't actually sewing seems to have solved the problem. I haven't had the machine do its own thing as long as I don't leave it on and get sidetracked. The time it started sewing on its own was when I had gotten distracted and the machine was on for several hours, although not being used. Maybe its the sewing machine ghost's way of saying "Hey lady!!! You forgot to shut me off." I now make certain I shut off the machine when I'm done sewing whatever it was I wanted to sew and not leave it on to continue something later. Later often translates to hours later.
 07/05/2009 08:51 AM

Author Icon
MOM

I had the problem with my past machine MC5700 and it turned out that it was the circuit board. I traded it in for the 11,000SE.
 07/15/2009 07:12 PM

Author Icon
campbellkid

I had this problem with my 6600P and found out it was the foot control by switching out it's foot control with the one from my MC9500. It was still under warranty, so the dealer just game me a new foot control - but still good to know about the cleaning thing.

Sarah in Indiana
MC10001
MC 9500
6600P
Singer Featherweight
 07/27/2010 03:58 PM

Author Icon
Cindimh

I am so happy to have found this thread! My Janome DC2010 became possessed and started sewing on its own, too! I, too, was doing detailed applique work and man, was that frustrating!
I followed the advice to clean the contacts on the foot pedal and so far, so good. I also slipped a glass cutting board under the pedal rather than putting it directly on the carpet, hoping this will cut down on any dust.
Since I make my living with my sewing machine, and I have orders to fill, this thread was a lifesaver!
 01/04/2014 12:28 AM

Author Icon
greenbeanteri

I too am having the same problem with my 6260. It sometimes won't quit sewing... Also, some times when I press the foot control the machine does not want to start. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 times. I will try opening and cleaning the control with alcohol. I was almost ready to take the machine in for repair... or to replace the foot control. Thanks

Thanks so much!
 01/04/2014 06:49 AM

Author Icon
judygruber

I had that problem and decided to order a replacement foot control. When I placed the order it turns out there was a "new" part number which led me to believe there was a problem with the original part. I ordered the replacement part and my machine is happy now....all the problems went away.
FORUMS : Quilting : Haunted Janome

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
91560 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.