Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: bobbin problems . . .
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/07/2008 10:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/07/2008 10:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tuttifruity

Hi,

I have a 350E and am having problems with the thread getting hung up in the bobbin case. I have only had the machine a short time and never had a problem until last night while trying to do a tote bag.

I started another project this morning on a hand towel and everything went well until the last part of the design and the thread is getting hung up again and I am getting a message to restart.

When I turn the wheel . . . it seems that the top thread is what is getting stuck in the bobbin case instead of smoothly going thru and catching the bobbin thread.

Any suggestions would be great!!!

thanks!!!!
Emily Bernard
Tutti Fruity Designs
www.tuttifruitydesigns.com
http://emilybernard.blogspot.com

-------------------------
Emily Bernard
Tutti Fruity Designs
www.tuttifruitydesigns.com
http://emilybernard.blogspot.com
 06/07/2008 03:59 PM

Author Icon
TRobin5

I have a 350E machine also. I was working on some hand towels for my daughter yesterday and had the same problem. Spent all day and only managed to get two towels completed. I spent more time unwinding/untangling the bobbin thread than actually stitching towels. I came to the conclusion that my problem was the type of thread that I had used in the bobbin, which was the same as the top stitch thread. I changed the thread in the bobbin from a rayon to a cotton blend and have had great success. Working with towels, I like to use the same color as the top stitch if possible instead of white.

If anyone else has a different solution, I am all ears. I am starting to think I may have frustrated my life with the purchase of this machine.

Toni
 06/07/2008 07:04 PM

Author Icon
rodman

Hi Emily & Toni,
I've had similar problems with my 300E. There were 2 things I found:

1. As I use sticky stab. and sticky spray a lot, some of that gunk transfers itself to the hook, which then hangs up the thread as it passes over the bobbin.

2. The needle can get bent very easily, and it only takes a slight bend to make the hook miss the top thread.

The solution is to remove the needle plate, the bobbin and the bobbin case. Use a small lint brush to pick-up and remove any lint/fluff that gets trapped inside the cavity. Don't try to 'blow' it out as this can drive the fluff deeper into the machine, causing more problems!

After that get a tissue and cotton bud/Q-Tip wet with methylated spirit/de-natured alcohol and wipe over the hook mechanism, especially down into the bottom of the hook cutout and the small lip that the bobbin case sits in. (Turn the machine by hand to access all of the hooks' surface.)

Wipe over the bobbin case surfaces (pay close attention to the underside of the lip where the case sits in the hook mechanism) and also in the hole and the underside of the needle plate.

Refit the bobbin case but leave the bobbin & needle plate off for now. While slowly turning the machine by hand, put a very small bead of sewing machine oil in the race where the bobbin case sits in the hook. Seems to make the case ride a lot smoother during operation. Clean off any excess oil as it may transfer to the thread during operation. You should not be able to see any oil on the surfaces.

Next, run a top thread through a NEW needle, then turn the machine by hand and watch the top thread as it's picked up by the hook and turned around over the bobbin case. (You'll also see how close-tolerance this is and why a bent needle can mess the whole thing up!) Make sure you're not getting any hang-ups or sticky bits and that the thread moves smoothly through its path. It should release from the hook very easily. If all's OK, refit the needle plate and bobbin, re-thread the machine and do a test sew to see if it works OK.

BTW, Emily, I enjoyed your blog, especially the link to Super Cook. If you liked that, have a look at this:

The Living Cookbook.

Seems to be a great resource and well supported.

Regards,
Steve in Au.
 06/14/2008 11:04 PM

Author Icon
beezydiva

thanks for the info i am also having the same problem. will try you solution.

louise m hermes
 06/15/2008 12:34 AM

Author Icon
beezydiva

i did all of that and it helped but the thread was still getting stuck what I found out is there is a small metal plate held in by a phillips screw.What worked for me was slightly loosening that screw and reseating so that there was a little bit more space it just took a slight adjustment. Now the machine is purring along. Hope this may help someone else. Beezydiva

louise m hermes
Statistics
88986 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.