Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: top thread tension problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/30/2013 10:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/30/2013 10:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SowingSusan

I have a MC1100SE. While embroidering, all of a sudden, I have not top thread tension. I tried increasing the tension (all the way to 10!!) but still get a "bird's nest" on the bottom. I also tried regular sewing with the same results. I have tried to re-thread several times but still have problems. The machine will sew if I hold the thread tight manually as it comes from the spool. What is the solution to this problem?
 03/31/2013 08:46 AM

Author Icon
MOM

If you have a thread stand that may help. It puts a little more tension on the thread. there is a thread stand for the 11,000 perhaps your dealer can order it for you or even try placing a jar behind the machine and run your thread from the back of the machine to see if that helps.

MOM
 03/31/2013 01:48 PM

Author Icon
SowingSusan

I am using a thread stand and have not had problems before. The top tension "went away" all of a sudden while sewing.
 04/20/2013 01:52 PM

Author Icon
BobbieA

I am having the same problem. And I also use a thread stand. Did you find a fix for it?
 04/20/2013 02:13 PM

Author Icon
digimad

If You re having to hold the thread, get your tension assembly checked, birds nests are in the main caused by thread not being trapped by the tension assembly or jumping out of the take up arm eye, a common fault on modern machines.

-------------------------
digimad
 04/20/2013 05:22 PM

Author Icon
BEARLIOK

Hi I am having a similar problem with my new Janome Memory Craft 12000. I was embroidering and it appears there is no top tension. I have a very loose stitch and then the machine keeps stopping with the thread break alert coming on. The thread is not broken (top nor bottom). I changed the needle changed the thread to a different brand and changed the bobbin....still no luck. Any one have any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong? Thanks

-------------------------
BEARLIOK
 04/21/2013 10:44 AM

Author Icon
BobbieA

I don't have to hold the thread although that helps a little, and I'm not getting bird's nests. Just very loose stitches. I had to have the upper tension assembly replaced two years ago when my machine was only a year old. I hesitate to adjust the bobbin case tension, but I have a new bobbin case still in the package so I tried using that and it made no difference in the stitches. Was hoping to avoid a 90 mile each way trip to the dealer, but I think that's my only option.
 05/13/2013 07:27 PM

Author Icon
BobbieA

An update to my tension problem. The upper tension assembly had to be replaced again.
Statistics
91339 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.