From another post. So that folks can learn how to format their memory devices for your embroidery machines. Thanks to Digimad.
Janomes help sheets
Formatting ATA Cards/USB Memory
You may start with formatting your ATA/Compact flash card and/or USB memory in your PC first, then again in your Memory Craft:
Please follow the instructions below to format your CF cards/USB Sticks:
1. Insert compact flash into computer.
2. Close the Windows dialog box that appears.
3. If you have Windows XP, double-click My Computer to open it. If you have Windows Vista, click Start, Computer.
4. Right click on the compact flash drive.
5. Click Format...
6. Click File system FAT. Do not choose FAT32.
7. Click the box "Quick Format"
8. Click "Start".
You will need to format the card in the Memory Craft if you do not see the appropriate folder(s) on your USB stick or Compact Flash card. You do this by inserting the USB or CF card in the machine and touching the Set mode button. Scroll forward until you see Format ATA Card and/or USB memory and touch the Yes button - this will place the correct folders/sub folder on the card in order for the machine to be able to read the designs from the card.
You only have to do this one time; after setting up the folders, here is how to write .jef designs to your card:
1. Remove the card from the embroidery machine.
2. Insert the compact flash card into your computer.
3. Launch Windows explore on your computer by clicking Start, Computer. Find the .jef design you want to write to the card on your cd. (Your design can be stored anywhere on the computer, such as on a hard drive or on a cd.) Right click on it to get a drop-down menu. Click Copy.
4. Maneuver to the drive for the card. Double click on the drive to open it. If there is only one main folder on the card, right-click on it and choose paste from the menu - if there is a sub-folder inside the main folder, right-click on the sub-folder and choose paste from the menu - this will place the design inside the folder.
5. Remove the card from your computer. Insert it into the embroidery machine.
6. Touch the Open Mode button or touch the PC Card tab.
Main folders and sub folders for all Janome embroidery machines:
Note: when writing designs to memory for machines that have sub-folders, the designs must be written to the sub-folder, not the main folder. Designs within the sub-folder cannot be inside another folder, only the .jef designs themselves can be put inside the sub-folder.
300E: Main folder Embf5 - no sub-folder
350E: Main folder Embf5 - sub-folder MyDesign
MC9500/9700: Main folder Embf5 - no sub-folder
MC10000: PC_Link folder - no sub-folder
MC10001: Folders Embf5 through Embf16 - no sub-folders
MC11000: Main folder EMB - sub-folder EMBF
MB-4: Main folder EMB - sub-folder EMBF
200E: Main folder EMB - sub-folder EMBF
Cards in 64mb size, the compact flash card adapters and USB sticks can be ordered from your local Janome dealer. The Janome part number for the card is 003CFCARD, and the adapter is 003PCADAPTER.
Size of media cards/usb flash drives by machine
USB flash drive 2gb or SMALLER
Compact flash 2gb or Smaller
Compact flash card 512 mb or smaller
USB flash drive 1gb or smaller
Compact Flash card 1 gb or smaller
Compact flash card 512 mb or smaller
owners of 1000/10001 with windows xp 32 bitservice pack 2 can use direct pc machine link usb cable link USB driver Jsmc850
usb cable link usb driver jsmc860
USB flash drive 2gb or smaller
Compact flash card 2 gb or smaller
same as 11000
USB transfer cable
ISB driver JsmcMul
USB flash drive 2 gb or smaller
compact Flash card 2 gb or smaller
Machine stitch limits
Each Memory carft machine model has a specific stitch limit, any embroidery design (JEF) within that stitch limit will transfer into the machine as one whole design. If that stitch limit is exceeded per one hooping, the design will be automatically be split into 2 separate designs, providing Janome software is used.
MB4 200.000 stitches
MC11000/11000SE 100,000 stitches
MC9700/9500/350E/300E/200E 64000 stitches.
Machine built in memory for design storage.
MB4 Unit 3mb, RCS 3mb
10000/10001/9700/9500/350/300/ 720 kb (my words here...thats less than a digital photo so be warned)
200 524 kb, very small.
Please copy this to your PC, keep it handy as there are always requests regarding usb or compact flash card sizes and formating. These are Janomes own instructions intended for dealers to use to help answer questions.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
HMC15000, HMC12000, Horizon 7700QCP, 4120 QDC, Jem Platinum 760, CoverPro 1000, HuskyLock 936, Xpression Felting Machine, DigitizerMBX v.4.0