Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: tension assembly
Topic Summary: Janome 12000 trouble
Created On: 05/02/2012 10:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/02/2012 10:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
fmacashley

Thread caught deep inside tension assembly. Anyone else had this problem in your Janome 12000? I do cut the thread at the thread spool and pull it out at the needle end, yet thread was caught deep inside tension assembly and caused thread bunching underneath design, broke needle, thread caught behind metal assembly, etc, etc. Sound familiar at all ..??
 05/02/2012 01:52 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

No, That problem has never happened to me and I've owned many Janome sewing and embroidery machines over the past 25 years. Hopefully this is just a rare thing and unfortunately it happened to be you this once.

It might have been caused by one particular thread that you used at one time. Did you take the machine in to have the thread taken out. A technician will likely be able to tell you what the problem was and what you can do so that it doesn't happen again.

Cheryl

-------------------------
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 05/02/2012 02:35 PM

Author Icon
devilcat

Nope, never happened with my 10001 and although I have been using my 12K for a short time only, not had any problems with it. (Other than the 3 rate manual).

Jacquie

Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 05/02/2012 02:51 PM

Author Icon
fmacashley

Yes, tech indicated perhaps in changing thread, pulling it up instead of cutting at the spool ; but I do take it out from the bottom after cutting at the spool, so I'm going to be observing/watching....hopefully won't happen...ever again !
 05/02/2012 03:43 PM

Author Icon
devilcat

What brand of thread were you using? Some machines are fussy. I have always pulled my thread up and never had any problems.

Jacquie

Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 05/02/2012 11:45 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

I only recently learned that it is recommended to cut the thread at the spool and pull through the bottom. Seems such waste of thread to me. I have never done that and usually pull the thread back through and rewind it onto the spool. I've even pulled knots though but just because I didn't think.

Cheryl

Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 05/03/2012 06:54 AM

Author Icon
digimad

Hi Cheryl, they recommend cutting the spool end because when you pull the thread back through, you open the embroidery floss, (machine embroidery thread is a loose twist floss) you release any little fibres which can then clog up the tension plates. It''s more likely fmacashley had an unoticed thread spool which tangled up in the thread tension area. I used to get that on my old Brother snoopy embroidery machine. Swapping to a free standing thread stand cured that for me.
I never use the horizontal spool holder on my MC10K and my industrial machines have the tall thread guide masts which stops thread spooling snarling up the tension assemblies.

digimad
 05/03/2012 10:56 AM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Thanks Digimad. I will try to improve in clipping those threads at the spool from now on. I sure don't want to create any problems, as that gets in the way of my sewing. I think I have just been lucky. I have purchased the 5 spool thread stand for my machine and it is much nicer to use than the ones that are on the machine. My MC12000 has made the extra spool holder to feed the same way as the one that is built in. It made using large spools impossible, unless you had a standing thread stand.

Cheryl

05/03/2012 11:31 AM

Author Icon
devilcat

I hate to waste expensive embroidery thread so have always snipped and pulled it up through the needles etc. I shall try to remember to snip at the spool and pull down from on.

I was given the 5 thread stand with my 12000 but as most of my designs use more than 5 colours, it is more work to place 5 threads on this and then have to replace them with the next 5. I just line up all the colours in order of stitching right now. I was going to take it back to the dealer and swap for something else but now that you have mentioned about the larger spools, which is what I am buying from now on, I shall keep it. Thanks for the heads up.

I have signed up for a workshop at the dealers next Friday so hope to learn lots of stuff. Liz will be teaching. I was impressed with her knowledge and teaching skill when I met her at the sewing show in Victoria. Actually, she was one of the reasons I bought the 12000.

BTW any comments on the black screen? I really don't like it. Computer manufacturers stopped making monitors with black screens many years ago because they were hard to read and hard on the eyes. Why has Janome decided that they are now desirable? It also makes the illustrations in the manual difficult to see.

Jacquie

05/03/2012 04:30 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Oh Jacquie, You are bad. I never much noticed the black screen. Now it will probably bug me forever. I don't know why sometimes things go backwards, instead of the the right way, but somehow we live and bear it.

You enjoy your training. Let me know what you learn so that I can get there too.

Liz is coming to Saskatchewan for the SK Stitches Conference at the end of the month. She told me to bring my computer and she would go over some Horizon Link stuff with me in the evening after her class. Then she's off to Halifax for the Quilt Canada Show.

Cheryl

05/03/2012 05:50 PM

Author Icon
MOM

Cheryl, I hope you pass on what you learn to me. I just cannot get into the Horizon Link. I have tried numerous times and I just don't see anything that even looks understandable.

MOM
 05/04/2012 10:14 AM

Author Icon
devilcat

MOM, I haven't loaded my HL onto my PC yet. I will be buying a new one next week. I don't understand the purpose of it and anything I read in the manual is completely incomprensible. No surprise there. I understand that the afternoon session of the workshop will teach us about the HL. I hope that it doesn't confuse me even more. I think Liz is a pretty good teacher so I am hopeful. Sure hate to have to schlepp all my gear down there. I shall have to take up weightlifting!!

I will be in touch if I have an great revelations.

Jacquie

05/04/2012 12:13 PM

Author Icon
MOM

Thanks Jacquie.

MOM
 05/04/2012 03:17 PM

Author Icon
fmacashley

Thanks to all for the discussion on thread stuck inside tension assembly. Thanks to a great dealer/tech in our state; My Janome 12000 is running great; It's important to follow manual directions on threading, bobbin insertion and all.
 05/07/2012 01:36 PM

Author Icon
Blackwidow

You all sound very experienced with embroidery machines and I'm buying a 12000 in 2 days with no prior knowledge. Which software do you recommend for this machine? Thanks
 05/07/2012 01:59 PM

Author Icon
MOM

Defnitely the MBX which is Janome based software. You will have all of your hoops built into the software. So there will be no guessing.

MOM
 05/07/2012 07:26 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Blackwidow, Take all the classes you can from your dealer. It is good to take your machine home first, after an introduction to it and just sew with it. Read the manual - it isn't the best but it is a start. Watch the DVD that comes with it as well. On this website there are projects, and all kinds of other information on how to use the feet, etc. They aren't extensive but again they are a start. Join the 12000 Yahoo group as there is lots of information there as well. Jim Stutsman has a website that you can join. He has newsletters that you pay for $4.00 I think - worth every penny.

Now with all the new - don't forget to just have fun sewing. It is only a machine and you can manage it.

Cheryl

05/08/2012 02:01 PM

Author Icon
jsm1144

You really don't "need " any other software program with the Horizon since the Link program is included. Contrary to what is being said, it's really a great program, jsut like Customizer only better. Two things to remember when you start off, one is to load the programs onto your desktop like the instructions say, then, click on the little icon that looks like a a USB stick and under the icon is "Jsmc859Ins..." Just click on this and let the machine do its thing. THEN, go to Janome Global site (go to the regular site and on the right hand side, notice where it says to select your country-keep selecting Global) Then select software updates and scroll to the bottom where you'll find the update for the Link. Do what it tells you to do, which includes not only downloading it but installing it as well. Then when you select the Horizon Link icon, you'll get 3 things you can do, select the bottom one and you'll get the edit screen, select the Design folder at the top and you can go to any place you like to find designs and then send them directly to the 12000-if you're attached or download to a stick. Hope this is clearer than it sounded to me when I wrote it.
 05/08/2012 05:08 PM

Author Icon
MOM

I have tried trying to send to a stick and I have done the udate and it still tells me to connect to the machine. It is not a problem for me as I have the MBX but I thought I would try it and it does not work for me.

MOM
 05/08/2012 05:35 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

MOM,

You need to click on the icon at the end of the row in "Embroidery Edit" that says "Write to USB". If you click in "The Link" section it wants you to be hooked up to the 12000.

Cheryl

FORUMS : Embroidery : tension assembly

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
94151 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.