Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Scan 'n Sew Model 240
Topic Summary: turns itself off
Created On: 01/08/2012 11:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/08/2012 11:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
thread34

I pulled my Scan 'n Sew out of the drawer it has been stored in for years. I did take the batteries out before storing it. When I pulled in the adapter or put new batteries in it and I try to scan something the scanner turns itself off as soon as I lush the scan button. Can someone out there tell me why this is happening? It does not have anything to do with software as it is not hooked up to a PC. This is a self contained unit. Is there any fix for this issue or it is one of those things that you need to ash-can it and find another one.
 01/08/2012 03:42 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Have you purchased a new computer recently? Perhaps your Scan 'n Sew is not compatible with the computer.

Cheryl

-------------------------
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 01/08/2012 05:18 PM

Author Icon
MOM

thread34;

You mentioned that it is not connected to any software or any PC. Is is a scanner for a copier or a sewing machine?

I am not familiar with a scan and sew other than a Janome scanner that was a part of the customizer 2000 program. Which is over a 10 year old program.

I guess my question is just what is it expected to do for you as a sewing accessory.

MOM
 01/08/2012 07:52 PM

Author Icon
digimad

I had a brother scan nsew which I popped in its box and placed in a cupboard for 6 or 7 years, should have known better, they deteriorate just sitting there once they've been used. I ended up donating mine to the recycling centre. Same happened with with one of the old monitors, used it for 2 years, replaced it with a flat screen, dug it out and plugged it in, dead as do do. Electronics and storage after using are not good bed fellows.

digimad
 01/09/2012 09:00 AM

Author Icon
FlapjakDak

Thanks, for the advice. I'm going to go through my old things now. I how they still work. I also have an old babylock in storage.
Flapjakdak
 01/09/2012 07:02 PM

Author Icon
thread34

this is not connected to any PC! it is a stand alone unit tht you scan a picture onto a memory card and insert it into the sewing machine. have tried everything except for a hammer. lol
 01/09/2012 07:04 PM

Author Icon
thread34

it is to allow you to copy a picture into a memory card and then machine will do the rest of the work for you, it will even tell you how many stitches it will take to complete the picture! I am not familiar with a janome scanner and the scanner that i have was gotten at the same time as i got my memory craft 8000---so it is an older unit. thanks for the reply
 01/09/2012 07:07 PM

Author Icon
thread34

thanks for that information i will check into this---just seems that if it was working the last time i used it then it should still be working---but maybe i am asking too much--ya think? one would think that electronics shouls/would last a long time as long as they do not burn up! oh well, maybe a lesson learned.....better check my other electronics.
 01/10/2012 07:04 AM

Author Icon
digimad

Thread 34, it would seem logical that would or should outlast us, but sadly once a an electronic device has been used, prolonged dis use means they they can fail to start again. i've discovered that to my cost. Mind you if we dont use them for long periods, were they that useful in the first place. I know mine were when first purchased but technology advanced so quickly they proved less useful very quickly and got assigned to a cupboard shelf 'just in case' . Like the saying goes 'use it or lose it' I miss the reliability of my older mechanical items, they could sit stored for years and with just a little TLC be as fresh and willing to work as when first purchased.

digimad
 05/19/2012 02:48 PM

Author Icon
ArcticGypsyRose

I am having the same problem. Thread34 did you ever come up with a solution? I've been searching out anyone that can help me. I was thinking that maybe the power cord maybe bad. Everything works fine until I press scan. Then it shuts down. I even replaced the lithium battery that is in the blank memory card. Still nothing.
 10/14/2012 09:20 PM

Author Icon
pawood

Take the bottom of your unit off, there is a fuse just above the battery box. Check it. My scan and sew is doing the same thing so I took it apart and saw the fuse. Haven't replaced it yet but will, hope that is the problem. I've had my unit for 16 years and never used it, my guess is after that long the fuse needs to be replace and the battery in the in the memory card also. Good Luck!
Statistics
88699 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.