Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Bobbin Colors
Topic Summary: Do they need to Match?
Created On: 10/06/2011 03:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/06/2011 03:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JDol

Does the Bobbin thread color need to match the needle threading color? I know... such a newbie question... :-)

-------------------------
....New (to me) MC10000 v3.0... I'm a newbie so bear with me!....
 10/06/2011 03:43 PM

Author Icon
devilcat

If you are doing regular sewing, or decorative stitches they should match. If you are embroidering it is advisable to use the special embroidery bobbin thread. It is much thinner and will usually give you better results. If for some reason your are having problems with your bobbin thread showing on the surface of the project, try lowering the needle tension and sewing more slowly. I do this every time I embroider especially if the design is dense and have never had birds nests or bobbin thread showing on top.

You will just love your machine. It is so good natured and reliable.

Jacquie

Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 10/06/2011 07:19 PM

Author Icon
JDol

Thanks Devilcat. by your note I take it there should be prewound embroidery bobbins for my MC? I'll look into that. I guess they'd be in B & W? I'll remember your notes on settings if bobbin thread shows through or I get "birdnests" Thanks

10/06/2011 07:39 PM

Author Icon
digimad

Jdol, no Jacqui didnt say pre wounds , she was talking about embroidery bobbin thread. You wind it on your bobbins, it comes as 60 weight or 120, both are the same thickness, just different structure. Its finer than embroidery thread which is a floss and not a mercirised twist like sewing thread. Looks the same till you unravel a few inches and compare them, embroidery threads are llosely twisted, sewing thread tightly twisted.

digimad
 10/07/2011 02:44 AM

Author Icon
JDol

Digimad, thanks for the further clarification... I'll look for that then. You folks are very helpful.

10/07/2011 09:03 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MOM

JDol:

Just a little hint.

I have the 11,000 and when I use a darker thread e.g. Purples or Red or even a Dk Brown I use either the same thread in bobbin as top and at times use regular Poly Thread of the same color and that has always avoided any bottom thread peeking through. We all have our little tricks and hints. Hopefully you may add this to your list. I in 10 years have never adjusted a tension on any of my Janome machines and with the 12,000 coming soon it will be a total of 4 Janome Embroidery Machines.

Hope this helps as well.

Happy Sewing,

MOM
 10/07/2011 09:10 AM

Author Icon
devilcat

Digimad is correct. You can buy embroidery thread and wind you own bobbins. I used to do this but I am bone idle and find it more convenient to use pre-wound bobbins. I have also found that the pre-wounds hold more thread than if I wind them myself. I buy boxes of 144 at at time as it is a bit cheaper. I use the NEB brand. Try a couple to see if you like them. Your Janome dealer will also carry pre-wounds. The only caveat I have is to be very careful not to buy the ones on the market which have a cardboard core. This will collapse when the thread gets low and will destroy your machine!! These may not even be on the market anymore but I wanted to warn you just in case.

Jacquie

Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
FORUMS : Embroidery : Bobbin Colors

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
82950 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.