Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: cloth setter
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/14/2007 01:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/14/2007 01:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
alicecarnahan

I,m just getting started at embroidery, should I get a cloth setter for my machine
 12/14/2007 02:19 PM

Author Icon
rcurrytoo

I love my clothsetter! wouldn't be without it!
 12/14/2007 02:39 PM

Author Icon
sewwolf

Me either. I use mine all the time to line up designs where I want them.
 12/14/2007 02:49 PM

Author Icon
digimad

R Currytwo and Sewolf are right, the clothsetter is extremely handy. I only use mine for hooping, it protects the T gizmo and holds the hoop steady for you. It needs calibrating, and you do that using the calibration design in the machine to do it. You get a how to sheet with the clothsetter.

-------------------------
digimad
 12/14/2007 06:06 PM

Author Icon
devilcat

I just draw cross hairs with a chalk on the garment and then use the plastic grid which came with the hoop and the jog keys to line stuff up. How much better (and easier) is it to use a cloth setter? Examples please. I don't mind spending the $$$. But if it is not a whole lot better I would rather buy wine.

Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 01/22/2009 10:38 PM

Author Icon
soinsuzie

Hi,
Go to the top of this page, look across the brown bar until you see "Techniques". Click on Techniques, you will see "Category:" "Techniques"
Under Category scroll down until you see Embroidery then under Techniques you will see "The Power of the Memory Craft Clothsetter".
You will find a lesson on the Clothsetter.
You said you are new to embroidery. I would suggest that you "Software Lessons" again it is at the top of this page. Between the lessons and the Forum you will take off. I really didn't get going with my embroidery until I found the Forum plus Cheryl and Maggie aka digimad.
It might look like a lot of printing but I would advise you to print out the lessons, put them in a binder and do the lessons. Have a look at the FAQs, Ask Jan. and all of the info you can find. It's also a good idea to go through the Embroidery Forum and read the questions and answers. I have been taking Digitized Quilting Embroidery online and the teacher recommends that you Google any questions that you have about embroidery. It is amazing what you will find. Have fun. Dorothy

Dorothy Atkinson
 01/22/2009 10:44 PM

Author Icon
dollin4me

I am totally new to embroidery. I have the cloth setter, but don't have any idea how to set it up or use it. Does anyone have a link to specific information that a layman can understand and follow?
 01/22/2009 10:46 PM

Author Icon
soinsuzie

Hi,
My husband got me the Janome 10001 and everything that came with it.
He bought the Clothsetter for the A and B hoops. As it turned out the large clothsetter works for both A and B Hoops.
I kind of wondered about it until Maggie (aka digimad) mentioned that it helped her when she does her hooping. I do that all of the time now.
One lady has mentioned that she doesn't feel the need to have one. I'm really not sure yet because I am new to embroidery and have used it but she is quite right that you can just draw your marking lines if you know exactly where you want to start.
Don't forget the jogging key on your machine will also allow you to move your needle to the centre of your work if the marking is a little bit off.
Maybe you could try doing the marking yourself before you put the money out and see how you do. Have fun Dorothy

Dorothy Atkinson
 01/23/2009 07:31 AM

Author Icon
digimad

Hi Dollin4me, as you have the clothsetter it would be a shame not to utilise it, so here goes. Hoop up a piece of fabric or cutaway stabiliser. You don't say which machine you have, so I'm going to assume you have two hoops, the 126 x 110 mm and the 140 x 200 mm. Use the 126 x 110, hoop. Now on your machine in the built in designs, there is a design specifically for calibrating the cloth setter. It is a cross, the vertical and horizontal lines are the same length. So find it, select it, look at the hoop size it displays, if it's the B hoop go the edit screen, there will be an icon on your machines screen for Edit. When you get that screen select the A or A/F hoop, make sure the design is centred, use the Ok icon and then the return icon. You'll get another screen allowing you an opportunity to go, Shoot I chose the wrong hoop, or yes that's what I want, hit Ok or it might be the return symbol, I'm doing this from memory and my memory is rubbish. You'll be returned to the Ready to sew screen. Attach the hoop to hoop carrier arm. Make sure there is nothing behind the machine so the arm doesnt hit anything. Thread up, use a dark thread on top and stitch the cross.
Remove the hoop and take it to the cloth setter, attach it to the lower slot designed to take the locking bar. Now bring the plastic arm with the flat foot with the red cross on it, over till the red cross is sitting on the design. You will see your stitched design through it, now where the arm is attached at the base there is a metal plate with screws, they should be loose enough for you to move the plate slightly back, forward, left, right, not huge movements just nudge you a bit moves. You need to nudge that metal plate untill the red cross on the flat foot, lines up exactly with the embroidered cross beneath it. When they match up exactly, don't breath, you might move it, no only joking. Now you tighten the screws in the metal plate, making sure you don't move it as you must have the two crosses matched perfectly. When the plate is properly tightened, you have calibrated your cloth setter. Now every time you do a design and you want that design in a certain spot, you mark a small cross on the fabric, (I use a low tack masking tape and draw my cross on it, some folks use the sticky backed paper circles or squares you can buy and mark their crosses on them,) put the outer hoop on the cloth setter, the top slot is for the larger hoop, the lower slot the smaller hoop, and lay your stabiliser and fabric over the attached outer hoop. Swing the arm over so the foot is resting on the fabric, then just gently move your fabric so the two crosses meet. Now pop your top hoop on after lifting the arm up out of the way. When you've got the top hoop inserted and before you tighten the frame, check the cross hairs again. Are they exactly the same, if they aren't but they are only a little bit out, gently pull the fabric into positio while keeping the finger tips of the other hand on the inner ring to prevent it popping out. Tighten the hoop scre, is the fabric tuat? it should ping when you flick it, if not remove the hoop, turn face down on the edge of your work service, and very gently tug the stabiliser downwards, keeping the other hand on the rim of the frame. Do that on all 4 sides. Turn it face up, and gently pull the fabric up and over into the hoop area, keeping your finger tips on the inner hoop to stop it popping, do that on all 4 sides. You are removing the slck, not re attach your hoop to the clothsetter and check the centre points still match up. Ok take the hoop off the clothsetter and attach it to the machine.
If you are doing single designs and aren't too worried about being a few millimeteres out, just use the clothsetter as a hooping aid, it's great. It protects the attachment device, holds the hoop steady while you pop the inner hoop in.

digimad
FORUMS : Embroidery : cloth setter

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
91607 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.