Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Using Metallic Thread
Topic Summary: What am I doing wrong???
Created On: 02/22/2011 12:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/22/2011 12:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
amj1155

First thing I did wrong was to take my dtr to the fabric store with me. She saw all of the metallic threads and thought she had died and gone to heaven.
So now instead of embroidering names on 29 black velour jackets with a nice hot pink rayon thread she wants them done in silver metallic thread!!!

I have spent the last hour working on my test fabric with this possessed Sulky silver thread and have not gotten thru my first letter. I am now calling for the walk away rule to come into play before I hurt someone.

I have moved my tension down to a 1, I have moved it up to a 6, and nothing seems to work. My machine makes a few stitches and then says that I need to re-thread the needle. Sometimes the thread is broken and sometimes it is not. I am using my thread stand because I read that keeping the spool vertical helps. I tried using my machine horizontal spool holder because the vertical spool was not working. I am using a 14/90 new needle. I hooped the cutaway stabilizer and am using quilting basting spray to attach the fabric. I have pinned a lightweight water soluble topping to handle the nap of the fabric.

But I am having no success with stitching out a single letter yet.

Has anyone used metallic thread? What am I missing???? I am using the script font that comes with the Customizer 10000 program.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Annie
 02/22/2011 02:12 AM

Author Icon
errjan

Hi Annie, Very simply it can be rectified. Buy yourself a metalic needle. The eye is more elongated therefore not so savage on the thread. Work at a slower speed than normal. I'm sure this will help you, good luck

-------------------------
Janine, Australia
 02/22/2011 08:20 AM

Author Icon
MOM

Annie:

It might not be you. Customizer is limited to their lettering and fonts and the font you are selecting may not be compatible with the type of thread you are using.

I found that using many of the fonts from customizer from years ago were much denser and not at all easy to work with. I really noticed the difference when I got my Digitizer program. Now I am not telling you to go out and buy Digitizer just to do your lettering that would be an expensive step for your frustration, but I just wanted you to know it might not be you at all and your frustration may come from the lettering itself and not the thread.

MOM
 02/22/2011 09:21 AM

Author Icon
digimad

Annie, as Mom has pointed out font choice can be a huge factor when using metallic thread, I once foolishly agreed to embroider some letters for a charity group, nothing much, just the name of the group on badges. I discovered not all metallic threads are created equal. It took several days trying various brands to arrive at the one that gave me the fewest problems, a very obscure Indian brand.
A task which in ordinary embroidery thread would have taken just a few days took a month. I had to reduce my stitching speed right down, use metallic needles, and I found they wore quickly, reduce my top tension and sit glued to the machine to catch any shredding before it created real problems. I found Sulky didnt give good results, it would shred very quickly, Of the most readily available metallics I tried, Gutterman, and Madeira metallic 40 gave much better results than the other well known brands. Since then I have found a British company that does a metallic thread that stitches extremely well, called Kingstar metallic. The one I used eventually was an Indian thread I had purchased from a Sari shop in London and had no name, just a cellophane wrapper.
I would suggest you tell your daughter metallic threads when stitched don't look as wonderful as when wound on a spool. Just tell her a silver coloured thread looks far better, particularly when doing letters.

digimad

Edited: 02/22/2011 at 09:23 AM by digimad
 02/22/2011 10:00 AM

Author Icon
devilcat

I use Janome metallics with a metallic needle and threadnets, sewing slowly and get perfect results. I have not used this on fonts but it may be worth a try.
Are you using the metallic thread that looks like a thin ribbon? I understand this is very stretchy and may be difficult.

Jacquie

Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 02/22/2011 11:21 PM

Author Icon
amj1155

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement.
I went to JoAnn Fabrics and got the metallic needle. The embroidery instructor there also mentioned that I may need to move my thread further away from my machine to give it more room to "relax".
So I have my spool of thread on my sewing machine at the end of my work table going to my embroidery thread stand and then into my machine.
I moved my top tension to about 1.5, put on my new metallic needle, changed my bobbin thread to a silver poly that I already had and just like that it stitches out like a charm (not sure I would call it a lucky charm though).
What an interesting learning experience this has been.

Thanks again
Annie
 02/23/2011 06:23 PM

Author Icon
maggieT

It is also important to keep the thread cool. If you are in a warm country place it in the fridge for half an hour and switch off the lights on your sewing machine too. Sew at the slowest speed.

Maggie
Perth, Western Australia

Janome 11000, Janome 10001, Janome 3050, Janome 644D, Bernina 1090S, Elna 744, Digitizer Pro
Statistics
82869 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.