Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: converting jpg to jef
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/11/2010 01:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/11/2010 01:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
amj1155

I have a logo that has some artwork and type that is in a jpg format.
I have downloaded the embird free program and am trying to convert it to a jef format.
I can see the file I want to convert in embird but when I click on convert files I keep getting an error saying "no files to convert".

I have read the help information and watched the tutorial video and I still can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Please help.

Annie
 07/11/2010 02:08 PM

Author Icon
digimad

Hi Annie, I'm afraid you have just come up against a problem many new computer or embroidery machine users come up against at some time. File extensions and where they are used.
When you first own a computer you are faced with learning a whole new language, and what is worse, it's all accronyms, exe,pdf,doc,txt, having PC, embroidery machine and software creates a requirement to learn a variety of new languages. At first you feel like your brain has packed its bags and gone on vacation, so here's what I hope will be of use to you. Forgive me if I am teaching you how to suck eggs, but I have no idea how much understanding you have of file extensions.
Image extensions, these are the most commonly used by folks with embroidery software. JPG, GIF, TIFF, PNG, BMP, WMF,EMFthere are others but are mainly for printing purposes or propriety types native to the image programs being used.

Embroidery formats, now here's where confusion reigns supreme, every embroidery software has its own native format, which cannot be stitched! they need to be converted to stitch formats, and every different make of embroidery machine has its own propriety stitch format.
To make it possible to auto digitise, the propriety software programs enabled the import of image files, but only a Digitising software can convert those images into a native format of the software used, then convert that into a stitch file.

I own and use Embird's basic suite, but it cannot convert an image file into a stitch file, it can only convert one propriety stitch format to another one. Lets say you have downloaded a Pes design, but your machine will only stitch a Jef format, Embird will convert that Pes format to a Jef format for you. However as you have only the evaluation license, you can't save stitch format conversion files.

To convert images into an embroidery design you need digitising software, it doesn't actually convert the image, but maps areas of the image, and then assigns stitches to those areas mapped. The image still exists in its original format, and you have an embroidery design, normally one that will leave you dissapointed.

The only way you are going to be able to create your own designs is to purchase Embird Basic plus the Studio Plug in, to create the lettering you will need to purchase the lettering plug in. There are lots of so called auto digitising programs on offer, but believe me they wont create designs nearly as well as a full digitising software where you assign the shapes, stitches, density settings stitch types and angles for the stitches to follow.(manual punching) . I own several digitising programs, Embird plus its Studio plug in and photostitch plug in is just one of them. It's a nice program, offers a lot for the price, but I have to be truthful here, I have found since the the latest upgrade, Janomes Difitiser pro MB v3, is so easy to use.
view these Janome lessons
Embird lacks a few of the functions that Janome has, and has a steeper learning curve, but there are lots of Yahoo Embird groups offering help and support, it is still a program I would recomend to anyone thinking of starting tolearn to digitise if the budget is restricted.

-------------------------
digimad
 11/25/2012 10:30 AM

Author Icon
papino

I am facing a similar challenge with my janome mc 200. Please can I send you a jpeg logo to convert for me to JEF or has taken me 2 months since I bought the machine but to no avail. My email is daddychitalu3@gmail.com or daddchitalu@yahoo.com

Edited: 11/25/2012 at 10:37 AM by papino
 11/25/2012 11:52 AM

Author Icon
digimad

Papino,you cannot convert a JPG to an embroidery file without the software. If you have software but can't understand how to use it, there are many Yahoo groups that will teach you.
To get your logo digitised, you need to use a commercial digitising firm or e store. There are literally hundreds on the web. Dont go for cheap and cheerful, but a middle of the road price. They will give you a quote for the price.

-------------------------
digimad
Statistics
91558 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.