Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Bobbin thread problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/08/2010 10:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/08/2010 10:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lyndae

My bobbin thread is showing through on the embroidery design. Have tried adjusting the tension, but it doesn't seem to help. My MC 11000 is brand new and has worked well up to this point. I have rethreaded the bobbin, rethreaded the colour threads, dusted the bobbin casing. What else can I do? The store owner adjusted the bobbin casing last week and it has worked well until today. Thanks for any ideas you can share with me.
 06/09/2010 08:57 AM

Author Icon
MOM

Depending what color your top thread is, there are times when it is better to use the same thread in the bobbin as on top. I have the 11,000SE and usually do not have a problem with my bobbin thread but depending how dense the design is if I have a really dark color, e.g. black, navy blue, etc in the bobbin I will use the same color on the top.

Sone suggest to adjust the tension, this is my 3rd Janome and I always use the Auto tension that is set at the factory.

Hope this helps.

MOM
 06/09/2010 09:41 AM

Author Icon
devilcat

The advice I received from Janome HQ in Canada was to always lower the tension when embroidering especially if there is any amount of density in the design. I never have a problem with bobbin thread showing. I always drop mine to l.8 at least on my MC10001. Use the tension adjust button.

Jacquie

-------------------------
Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 06/09/2010 01:43 PM

Author Icon
craftychipmunk

I also drop the tension down to 1.8 and usually have good results. Also you may need to adjust the tension on the bobbin cup. Sometimes that little screw will vibrate loose. The weight of the thread will also effect the outcome of the stitching. Most threads are a 40wt. Janome pre-wound bobbins are a 60wt. I myself use a thread that is 80wt. Because this thread is thinner I have a bobbin cup that is adjusted for this thread only. 40wt wouldn't go through it. It's like pulling a cat through a mouse hole. Hope this is some help to you.

MC11000SE
Babylock Imagine serger
Digitizer Pro/MB
Calgary AB
 06/09/2010 06:53 PM

Author Icon
Lumpy

If it is a dense design with satin stitching you can try lowering your speed to about 400 and see if that will help. I know it does on fonts. If there are fine lines you may be safer to use matching bobbin thread since the bobbin thread will show anyway like in a fine script font.
 06/09/2010 08:15 PM

Author Icon
lyndae

Thanks for the advice. I removed the bobbin case and tightened the tiny screw as you suggested. It worked. I got great results with my font embroidery.
 09/02/2010 09:24 AM

Author Icon
designjcc

Hi, I have a related problem. My thread keeps bunching up underneath the design and getting caught in the bobbin area. I have to take the hoop off and cut the chunks out and back up the stitches and start again. I tried adjusting the tension to about 2 and it stops but then it happens again a little later. This happens a lot - on towels and polo shirts and anything else I've tried to embroider on, it doesn't seem to be specific to fabric. I'm really new at this so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I have the Janome Memory Craft 9700. I'm open to any suggestions -thanks, Juli
 09/02/2010 11:36 AM

Author Icon
digimad

Juli, bobbin thread issues usually show on the right side of the embroidery, loops and tangles on the underside of the embroidery are top thread issues.
Here's a list of things to watch for when you tread up the top thread.

If you use the Horizontal spool pin, use an embroidery spool net, it prevents the thread from unwinding too fast for the machine to handle.

Make sure the presser foot arm is raised, that opens the top thread tension plates.

Use your right hand to apply a little tension on the thread at the spool end, and your left hand to guide the cut end around the thread channel. Pay close attention to the take up hook, make certain the thread actually goes down the channel into the eye of the take up hook. This is the single main cause of thread tangles under the stitch plate in the bobbin area. You can open the side cover of the machine to check it is seated in the take up arm and not just lying on the top.

Place the thread behind the the thread guides so it feeds into the needle eye correctly.

Before you start stitching lower the presser arm.

digimad
 10/13/2010 03:04 PM

Author Icon
lawtongirl

My 10001 was working just fine last time I used it, and today when I started sewing the bobbin is messing up so bad! I have tried rethreading, changing the bobbin, changing the thread, changing the needle.
The bobbin thread is still making a mess. Hope you can help!
Thank you,
Louise
 02/08/2012 03:31 PM

Author Icon
gbeers

Thanks - It seems to be working at 1.8 and lower speed.
 02/01/2014 06:58 AM

Author Icon
josie51

Help, I'm new at this , I just bought a used MC6500 and for some reason can't bring up the bobbin thread, the top thread gets stuck in the feed dog, any ideals?
Thanks, Josie
Statistics
92146 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.