Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: The Thread Question.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/06/2010 08:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/06/2010 08:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
02arlene

Obviously the local dealer pushes his brand of thread (Metler) but my dealer is 60+ miles away and the local Jo Ann Fabrics is a mere 5 miles. They sell Coat and Clark embroidery thread with a weight of 40. Has anyone tried it?
Thanks
Arlene
 03/06/2010 09:25 PM

Author Icon
crashnquilt

I use it all the time. I've had really good luck with it. In fact, I've even used this thread in my longarm with good results. And contrary to what dealers will tell you, Coats and Clark thread WILL NOT ruin your machine. I have a Janome 300E, have used C&C embroidery thread for 3 years now without a hitch.

Have fun with your embroidery!
 03/06/2010 09:42 PM

Author Icon
Idosew

Everyone has an opinion about thread. I have heard that Sulky is of poor quality, C&C is too. My MC10001 is not that particular. I have used the C&C, Isacord, Sulky, RA, and even thread sold under the Brother Pacesetter label. I buy thread based on convenience and what is on sale. Although, I will say that the Isacord seems to have the best color selection. I was looking for a specific shade of Aqua to match a fabric swatch and found the perfect Isacord thread.
-Cathy

-------------------------
Have used Janome machines since 1996. Love my MC10001. I sew home decor items, clothes, etc.
 03/07/2010 06:23 AM

Author Icon
digimad

Hi flower, you obviously have an internet connection, you can source just about any machine embroidery thread online and have it shipped to you. Ignore doom and gloom merchants, your machine will soon tell you what it likes or dislikes, I use a variety of thread brands, some my machine hates, some it loves, however if you intend embroidering items that are going to be laundered, go for the polyester not rayon threads, polyester threads aren't affected by the bleaching compounds in detergents, don't suffer abraisions and don't lose their colours when exposed to sunlight. Apart from that the worlds your oyster, just do an online search for 40 weight embroidery threads.

digimad
 03/07/2010 08:59 AM

Author Icon
MOM

There is a website out there called "Sew for Less" they carry a thread called "POLYX40"

I first tried the thread from a local Babylock dealer and was a little aprehensive but he had the color I needed and thought for $2.99 a spool I will try it. It is Polyester and sews like silk. I have the 11,000SE and try to use the best I can find however it too tells me what it likes and I do use a various amount threads however this PolyX40 is fantastic. It comes in lots of colors and looks like Rayon.

MOM
 03/07/2010 06:26 PM

Author Icon
Lumpy

The C&C that creates a problem is the cotton one. It leaves mattresses full of lint. I do have some C&C embroidery thread but my 11000 requires a little extra attention to run with it. Longer thread path and slower speed. I do use it in my short arm quilting machine no problem there. I wouldn't recommend it on an heirloom quilt however. My 11000 however hates Janome thread LOL. It loves Robinson antwon so that is what I have most of. Just get a couple different types and see what your machine wants.
 08/14/2010 11:01 AM

Author Icon
Elaine52

Hi, New to this forum. Glad to find it. I am going to be getting the 350E in a few months and want to start getting thread now. My friend bought one and it came with some Janome thread and her machine really hated it.

I, of course want to get the best price and have looked at Metro Thread 0.75 cents for 1100, but I am holding back because I question the quality and do not know anyone else who uses it. So then I thought Maderia since my friend uses that in her business, but none of the poly embroidery thead is cheap. Any suggestions please!

Elaine

Janome 12,000, Janome Digitizer MBX, Bernina 1530, Elna Carina, Elna 704 Serger
 08/14/2010 12:31 PM

Author Icon
MOM

Elaine:

You might have to resign yourself to the fact that all good embroidery thread is not cheap and also is not all good quality. If you are looking at Poly that is probably your most dependable. I have only used Sulky, Jenny Haskins and Madeira and Robinson Anton. The older sylky was not the best quality but the newer one is much better.

i have also used a brand called Poly X 40 but it it is hard to find and that is about the least expensive that I have found. Madeira is good and I have always liked the Janome brand but cannot always find it. I have been using janome machines for about 8 years now and the only thread that I had problems with was the earlier Sulky. I have also used Mettler and Robinson Anton. My dealer recommends Robinson Anton but that is what he stocks. there is also a brand called Marathon. so you might want to do a google and compare prices. there is Rayon and Poly. Rayon has a nice sheen but Poly is the strongest. You might want to be concerned about your needle. Janome makes a great needle that is made by Organ and there are Schmetz brand. Personally I do not care for Schmetz except for the Microtex 80. Sorry to be so opinioned but I thought I would give you some food for thought. I am sure others will volunteer their help as well. You will love your 350E I had the 300E for a few years and loved it as well.

MOM
 08/14/2010 02:42 PM

Author Icon
Elaine52

Mom, Thanks so much! I will stock up on Organ needles or Janome if I can find them. What sizes are best? I think I have decided to try the Madeira Thread and have seen on other boards people like Marathon. Is the Megahoop difficult to use on the 350E and keep things accurrate? Many thanks

Elaine

Janome 12,000, Janome Digitizer MBX, Bernina 1530, Elna Carina, Elna 704 Serger
 08/14/2010 05:03 PM

Author Icon
MOM

Hi Elaine:

To first answer your question about the needles, I stick with the Janome Red Tip. I use them for both sewing and embroidery. You can get hung up on needle sizes and what to use for what. The janome redtip works well for all embroidery designs in my opinion. there I go again giving my opinion. sorry!!.

If you mean the Giga Hoop when you say the mega-hoop. I never did like the hoop. It to me never lined up correctly. At the time I only had Customizer software but perhaps with Digitizer software it may be easier.

Check your private message box.

MOM
Statistics
94205 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.