Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: MC11000SE
Topic Summary: Combines thread colors
Created On: 03/02/2010 05:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/02/2010 05:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mf

My MC11000SE combines thread colors in embroidery files and I can't figure out how to prevent it from doing so. Has anyone else had this problem? I tried switching thread designations in the set menu but that doesn't help. It's messing up my stitching! Help!
 03/02/2010 08:24 PM

Author Icon
Lumpy

If your machine is using Janome colors that is probably why. They don't have as many colors as other brands so it picks what is closest. Make a printout of it and note the colors you want to use for future use. I don't think there is anything wrong with your machine. My 11000 shows colors I wouldn't dream of putting in my embroidery LOL. When possible I print out the color chart from the site I am downloading the design from.
 03/02/2010 08:27 PM

Author Icon
aggiesewnsew

I have had this problem with some of the Martha Pullen Gift of the Month designs when using the jef version. Initially, I thought it was a problem with my 11,000 but discovered that the problem was with the formatting. I now always compare the number of thread colors and color changes used in the jef version to the pes version and often times the jef one will have fewer. If that is the case, I will use digitizer to convert the pes to jef and use the converted one to do my stitch out. I have always been pleased with the results.

Hope this helps solve your problem.
 03/03/2010 09:43 AM

Author Icon
mf

Hi guys, thanks for replying. The jef designs I'm using contain the same number of thread changes as all the other formats (according to the thread chart of the design). When I transfer the design to my 11000 and open it up, the number of thread stops change, often dramatically! On one recent design I was stitching the thread stops dropped from 13 to 6 changes, which needless to say, messed up the entire design. I can't figure it out--I thought maybe changing the thread selection in the set menu would make a difference, but it didn't. And here's the kicker, my friend has a 350 and the same design opens up on her machine with the correct thread count. Go figure.
So, other than having to invest in embroidery software, which I really don't have the time or inclination to do, how do I get my 11000 to behave itself and stop combining thread colors all by itself!
 03/03/2010 07:32 PM

Author Icon
Lumpy

You need digimad but you can also check this site out and maybe someone will have an answer for you.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MCEmbroidery/
 03/03/2010 09:24 PM

Author Icon
MOM

Are the designs you are having problems with built into your machine or some you have either given to you from your friend. It could be possible that if you are receiving them from your friend they may have been saved as per her 350 machine and that may be your problem. If you are not using an original design or one saved in a software compatible with your machine. that may also be your problem.

If the designs are coming from her 350 (built in) they have been digitized for her machine. You would have to take the design from her open it into your software and saved in that software for the 11,000SE

MOM
 03/04/2010 08:40 AM

Author Icon
mf

Hi Mom,
Thanks for your input. It's not a built-in design. The designs are ones that I purchased and transferred to my USB and then put into my machine. (Just for the record, I am very much against copyright infringement and always purchase the designs that I use. I do want to keep these talented folks in business! I asked my 350 friend to stitch out the design to see if it would stitch correctly.) I'm not changing the designs in any software and am simply transferring them to the 11000 via the USB. So...I can't figure out what the problem is!
 03/04/2010 09:11 AM

Author Icon
MOM

mf:

The only reason I can think of is that the way the designs have been digitized is why it is sewing that way. I am sorrry if you felt I suggested that you were infringing on copyright. I did not mean it that way what I thought was perhaps if you had used the design from your friends machine which would not have been considered using a copyright I just meant it as a suggestion. Why don't you contact the company that you purchased it from and perhaps they can correct it for you.

MOM
 03/04/2010 04:36 PM

Author Icon
mf

Hi again Mom
I don't think it's the digitizing 'cause this color combining has happened with other embroideries from different companies. Maybe it's just a glitch in the computer works in the machine. I'll keep on trying to figure it out. Thanks again.
 03/04/2010 05:38 PM

Author Icon
digimad

Hi MF, I bet the design has a few colours in that are slightly darker or lighter versions of say blue. Your machine will only have so many shades of blue so will drop any that don't completely match. It's a royal pain in the neck but there are work arounds.
The one I use is colour charts and the industrial format of DST, I have found designs that use several shades of a base colour lose most of them when loaded into a domestic machine that doesn't have a wide selection of colours in its thread catalogue. So a design that has, lets say a rose in shades of pink with a blue base, it can run from practically white to deep rich pink, the designer has used Madeira rayon, which has over 400 colours in its palette. My machine has only about 50 of those, and in the pinks has a red based pink and a blue based pink, very few tints or shades of those pinks, so immediately I lose most of those colour changes. My machine just says, nope haven't got those, but I do have this one, that will do. So I open my DST design in my software, leave the colours alone, horrific as they are, (my computer allocates colours according to the stop commands, ) and I convert to JEF. The number of stops (colour changes) stay intact, I then use the designers colour change chart to select my threads and change colours on the machine when its time to change the thread.
Second work around, I look for instances of closely related colours, like 3 or 4 shades of a colour, and then substitute other colours that would never fail to be matched. For example palest green becomes dark purple, pale lemon becomes brick red, you do have to keep a record of your substitutions, but it does work.

-------------------------
digimad
 03/05/2010 10:25 AM

Author Icon
craftyone

When I met with a Janome rep. she said that the colors may be too similar in shade. All you need to do is go in and change the shade so that the machine recognizes the color change. This happened to me when I was sewing with an Anne Geddes Design. If there were multiple shades of blue, I would change one to red or something like that. Once I did that I had no problems. Of course, that has to be done on the computer and uploaded to your machine. It is a hassle but then you know that the stops will be where you want them.
 03/05/2010 02:15 PM

Author Icon
MOM

mf:

Just a thought to also help with deciding which color when the colors are not different on your design screen on your machine there is a small box that has a flower on it if you touch that box it shows you the actual part of the design that you are sewing. That may help with your color decisions. As you sew each part the screen progresses for you.

MOM
 03/05/2010 04:25 PM

Author Icon
digimad

Mom, unfortunately the machine will have already dropped the colour changes so the part being stitched could be several of a similar colour lumped into one part. It happens in most machine brands, not just Janome machines. My little Brother embroidery only machine would drop loads of colour changes bundling 2,3,4 at a time if there was subtle colour graduations being used. Very pale lemons, beiges and apricots were all seen as ivory. It got so agravating I would only buy tone on tone designs, it was before I had learnt to digitise.
love mags

digimad
 03/06/2010 05:34 PM

Author Icon
mf

Hi Digimad,
It worked! I used a resizing program that came with an embroidery cd to open the design, convert it to DST then back to .jef. (You're right, the colors are horrendous, but I do my own thing anyway with the thread colors.) I think that's definitely the easiest way to go. I still think it's a little odd that the 350 doesn't have this issue (or, at least, not in my friend's experience) but I'm very happy to be able to work around it. Thanks again and thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.
 03/07/2010 06:45 AM

Author Icon
digimad

You're welcome flower, the first time I realised colour changes were being lost was when I stitched a fern that used 3 shades of green. The whole design stitched in one colour. Then I started noticing I wasn't getting the subtle colour blending in some designs, I would have purchased the threads for each colour, and only use half the colours purchased, that's when I started asking questions. I had blamed the digitisr, the thread manufacturers, every one and thing except the culprit, the machine. Of course it couldn't be the machine could it, then I found out how many colours the machine had at it's disposal, and the penny dropped, after that I started using colour change sheets, up till then I hadn't realised their significance. I used the software I had and re allocated the colours I knew the machine had, it worked. Later I discovered DST, and from then on purchased designs in that format and ignored the colours the computer chose, converted to the format my machine used with all the changes still intact. My DH would pull faces when he saw the design on the monitor, and ask "how did you go from that to this?" pointing to the actual stitch out. I just used to grin and say "MAGIC".

digimad
 03/17/2010 11:07 AM

Author Icon
pandasew

Hi, I have had this trouble quite a few times. My solution was to open a design in Customizer or Digitizer & look at the colors & compare against the printout. If the program read 2 colors as the same thread # & they were next to each other, I knew they would be combined when sent to the machine or card. As someone mentioned before I just changed one of the colors to something different & all would be ok; all you need is for the machine to stop to recognize a thread change. I have found this problem with the Hummel series, the Thread Velvet & others that are Inspira design CD's. In some cases the colors were not even close colors, but the program read them as the same, so just watch that you have the same # of colors (ie: 22 read on the machine & 22 in the design printout).
Thanks for the tip about changing to dst. That sounds easy as opposed to checking all the colors.
FORUMS : Embroidery : MC11000SE

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
93551 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.