Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Stabilizers for fleece and cashmere
Topic Summary: stabilizers
Created On: 12/13/2009 06:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/13/2009 06:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sadiebug

I have a Janome 300E and I am appliquing a monogram onto fleece snuggies, it is a very lightweight fleece. The machine is doing the tack down stitch, I am cutting around the letters and when I put it back on the machine the satin edging is not lining up with what I cut out. I have used this applique font before and it has always stitched out perfectly. I have been doing one letter at a time b/c I thought maybe cutting out all the letters at once had put some stress on the fabric and loosened it in the hoop, so that it was out of line. Also, some of the letters stitch out perfectly and then one is out of line. I am using a mid weight tear away as backing and no topper. Should I be using a different stabilizer and/or a topper?

I am going to put an embroidery monogram on a cashmere scarf. The cashmere is thin cashmere. What should I use as stabilizer and/or topper. Should I hoop the scarf or will the hoop leave a memory in the faric?

p.s. if anybody needs a really nice xmas gift for under $20. I got these cashmere scarves at Charming Charlie's (it is a new chain clothing store) for $19.99. They have all diferent colors. If I can get the monogram on them successfuly, they will make beautiful christmas gifts.
 12/13/2009 07:15 PM

Author Icon
digimad

Hi Sadiebug, definitely don't use tearaway, try a sticky back stabiliser or cutaway. Use a toppijnng to prevent the stitching dissapearing into the fleece. Tearaway wont stop the stretch in the fabric, stickt back, or Floriani's wet and stick will, it will hold the fabric exactly where you put it and you trim it away after.

-------------------------
digimad

Edited: 12/13/2009 at 07:17 PM by digimad
 12/13/2009 09:33 PM

Author Icon
sadiebug

What topping would you use? I have a lightweight and heavier water soluble, I also have dry cover that I use for towels.
What would you use on the cashmere scarf? It is a scarf so I don't want to leave the cut away.
Any ideas on why the design is getting off on some of the letters.
Thanks for the help!
 12/14/2009 03:40 AM

Author Icon
digimad

You can use the dry cover for the topping, that way you don't have to wet the scarf to remove it. You said in your original post you used tearaway, that's why your letters and the outlines aren't matching up. The fleece is stretching, as soon as you stitch the outline for the letter, the tearaway starts perforating. allowing the fabric of the scarf to move around on the stabiliser. That's why I suggest using a sticky back stabiliser, it prvents that happening.
Another thing you can do is cutout your applique shapes first, to save writing a lengthy description, visit this link applique quick and easy
I use this method always, so much faster than trimming in the hoop. Don't worry if you don't have what they call dielines, the first tack down line of an applique design acts as one, then you simply repeat it on the scarf to use as the placement for the shape. This wont make sense until you have read the instruction sheet on applique.
It seems like a longer method, but believe me, it saves hours of trimming and frustration. If you want you can use the top thread colour in the bobbin so you have that on the reverse of the scarf,

-------------------------
digimad
Statistics
93457 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.