Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Coverting from a dst to jef file...
Topic Summary: I knew you ladies are sick of this subject...
Created On: 11/19/2009 11:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/19/2009 11:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
trump1

Ok here it goes..
I bought Anita Goodesign design cd... Why because it had some LARGE designs it package says can be used with a larger hoop (GIGA I thought).

When I got it home the software doesnt convert the Large designs to jew, because there too large... Okl
So they told me how to "resize them" which I did it only will save them as a DST file, to my desktop....

Ok
I tried opening them in customizer and I quess Im doing something wrong...(This is my 1st time) The cd has been sitting here because I was imtimidate...now I see why..

My question is how do I convert this file and get it into my customizer so I can use it on my Giga..

Thanks..so much, I bought these tools and the only thing Ive created is a headache
 11/19/2009 02:29 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Hi,

I think you bought designs that will not convert to a .jef file through Customizer. A gigahoop is 2 "B" hoops that overlap. I don't know what machine you have but I'm assuming a MC10001, 300E or 350E, 9700. Your designs for this hoop need to be a size that is "B" hoop or approx. 5" X 7". If the designs you purchased can be made into 2 of that size you could possibly make a gigahoop design in Customizer. I have never done that but Digimad, probably has and will likely chime in with help as well.

I suggest that you choose very carefully, what designs you purchase. It is best to get those that are digitized for the embroidery machine you own. There are many designs out there. Sometimes we learn the hard way and purchase something because we like it so much, BUT it won't do for the machine we own. There is software that you can purchase (and maybe some can be downloaded for free off the internet), that will make a design fit our hoops. In my humble opinion, software you purchase should be compatible with your embroidery machine to get the best results. However, changing a design can be an infringement of copyright; but even more than that it may not be what you expect the end result to be when it is stitched out as it might be distorted in some way.

Cheryl

-------------------------
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 11/19/2009 09:01 PM

Author Icon
digimad

Google the TES viewer, that will open DST designs and resave them as Jef for you, but put your sunglasses on, you are in for a treat. DST carries no colour information whatsoever, so your computer will allocate colours it likes.
Cheryl is right, you have to choose your designs carefully, by format, size and stitch count. Our machines do have stitch count limits as well as colour changes and hoop sizes.
Now I know you have invested a lot of money so far, and with the best will in the world , because I know from experience, all the large designs are so tempting, I'm going to suggest you invest a bit more. There's an excellent little program called Sew What Pro, and one of the things it does is enable the user to learn how to split designs. http://www.sandscomputing.com/id11.html it isn't free, and requires some learning to do it properly, but it also extends the range of options you have for stitching those wonderful large designs in your B hoop. There are video clips, tutorials on the site and a 30 day trial.
Here's a link to a lady who offers Embird Editor splitting lessons, http://www.editingwizardry.com/SplitWizardry-1.html You do need to have Embird basic suite to take advantage of her lessons.
Another point, Anita goodesigns digitiser, Steve Wilson is what I call old school, in other words he's a proffessional time served digitiser, and he digitises to produce designs that stitch consistently well. Don't be temptedto resize even though the re sizer is included with the collection, he chooses his densities and stitch lengths carefully. Altering the sizes, alters the quality of his work. Never alter the colour changes, learn to split designs, re align them, or save up your pennies and buy a machine with a hoop size big enough to stitch designs as they were intended to be sewn, in one piece.
Designs can split, but it takes time, effort and practise to do it correctly, I learnt to do it, though my teacher has now retired all her lessons, and I stitched out some stunning designs that no one would have evr known they were split. So yes it can be done, but you need to take the time to learn.

digimad
 11/20/2009 12:37 AM

Author Icon
trump1

Ok Im back,
Im still working on this and its the middle of the night, alarm goes off at 4:00 I cant sleep.

I have Buzz tools but again I dont know how to use it, I played and I think it will convert from dst to sew...if I can get to sew, customizer will convert that from sew to jef right!

How do I do that?
I was playing and buzz is telling me the design is too large for the hoop thats because it doesnt know abt "the customizer"!

Ok again many thanks for all the help.
 11/20/2009 12:46 AM

Author Icon
trump1

digimad,
thanks for the info..I live in the middle of know where. I have several janome machines..I utilize 2 shops one for my quilting needs and the other embroidery.
The embroidery shop sells alot of designs she doesnt teach how to upload and download designs from other sources..She sells designs, she told me oh yea you can do it on your Janome, but she doesnt answer questions...I call anita goodesign they dont know Janome software..Janome says to buy digitizer...
its a big circle..I read these board any theres alot of people doing wonderful things with the downloading..wish I had a resourse.
 11/20/2009 09:06 AM

Author Icon
sewinmama

Have you gone to the website emblibrary.com? It has a wealth of information plus more designs than you will ever use. It's one of the first places I look when I don't know how to do something involving embroidery. I don't think that it will help you with splitting designs but it will help with stablizers, thread, embroidering on different materials, etc.
Pam

MC11000 upgraded to SE Ver 3
Horizon 7700
3160QDC
Janome Serger 1200D
 11/20/2009 12:37 PM

Author Icon
digimad

Sweetheart you have access to the two most and often overlooked resources available. Go stand in front of a mirror, what do you see? YOU! you are your most valuable resource you have, residing behind those eyes and under that hair is the most amazing computer known to man, your mind. It can with a little prodding, cajoling, and help, perform a billion more actions than a man made computer. It is incredible. What's more the programming input is so easy, you are doing it right now, you are reading, a million little messages are whizzing around inside your brain opening and closing files, and it's doing it at far greater speeds than a man made computer can dream about.

Now go and sit at your PC, what do you see, an extremely simple, very limited, man made brain. It is incapable of thought, feelings, actions, or learning. It can only perform the simplest of tasks, I know it can appear to be doing wonderful things, but all it is doing is obeying commands, it can't act independentally , it requires a set of rules and guidelines, and who provides those, computer programmers. They instruct the machine to open and close gateways. The speed with which they do that is infinitesimally slow in comparison to the speed at which your internal computer works. It is a machine, that's all, but it's also your second most valuable resource to achieve the extra programming you need for your internal computer.
So read on. I'm sorry but this is going to be a long mail.
Number one, open My Documents, in a blank area of the screen, right click and from the pop up menu, select new, from that menu select Folder, when it's on the screen right click it and select Rename, now name that embroidery library designs. click ok. Now left click to open it and inside repeat everything you did except this time when you rename, call it embro lib downloads. Close the screen and my documents.
Open your Internet browser, now in the search bar, type in Embroidery Library, then use your Enter key. You'll get a page of links, the one you want looks like this, www.emblibrary.com this isn't a link so don't try using it. Click on it, when it opens it will show a selection of new or Special offer designs. At the moment they have some $1 designs, seasonal and fun. So I'm going to suggest you blow $5. Select 5 one dollar designs, they must fit your hoop sizes so check the sizes, Embroidery Library are extremely good at giving you the design sizes, when you choose one, click on the size link below the view of it on the sale page, that opens the right design. To the left of the design above the Add to Basket icon, is a box with a stitch format showing, click the drop down menu chevron at it's right end, from the list select JEF. Double check the design size, will it fit a 5 " x 7 inch hoop. If yes click on the add to basket words. You'll see the basket contents page next, is it the right design format, size, if yes click the continue shopping words. Get 4 more, don't go mad, set a limit, they have some lovely seasonal designs at the moment all for a single dollar.
When you have made your last selection and don't forget all one dollar designs only, and no more than $20, $5 for the first go is better, click on check out with credit card or Paypal. You need a Paypal account to use that one. Now it's so long agao since I joined Embroidery library I can't remember if you have to start an account, I think you do to access your order history. They keep a list of all designs you have purchased in case they become damaged, lost, mislaid, computer crashes, and you can re download the designs.
Back to the message in hand, make your payment. Once the payment has gone through, almost immediately you will be told Thank you for your order and all your design links are waiting for you to download them.
Remember that folder you created, well here's where you use it, decide if you want zipped or unzipped designs, zip is the design inside a zip file, unzipped is the design in it's ordinary state. I usually go for zipped if offered. Click on the one you want, don't opt for e mail unless you are on dial up. When you have clicked on the method you want, unzipped or zipped you should get get a pop up File download window, now some sites you get the options, Run, Save, Cancel, always opt for save, so choose Save.
Next you get a Save as pop up, at the top a SAVE IN box, now here is where YOU tell the computer to put it, click the drop down menu chevron at the right end of the Save in strip, find my documents, embroidery library designs, select it, at the bottom next to the File name box it should say open, and you should see your embro Lib Downloads folder, now if for any reason you didnt get the open command double click the embroidery library folder, that will open it, and the folder inside will show up, double click that one to open it. The name of that folder should now sit in the SAVE IN box at the top of that pop up window, is it there, if yes hit Save. It doesn't take long to download.
The next one you do, the Save in pop up should be showing that folder, if it isn't use the drop down menu to find it, open it and hit Save. Just keep going until all the designs have been downloaded.
Now you'll want to view them. So close embroidery Library down, use this link
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http:// <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.barudanamerica.com/...merica.com/...">Tes viewer link</a>
</a>
[/L]
Download it to your desk top, same way you did before, you tell the Save in bar Desk top by using the drop down menu. when it's downloaded, in stall it, watch out for Yahoo tool bars or google bits, always remove any ticks from those or you'll be plastered in Yahoo and Google bits. Say ok to license I agree with license terms. Do choose a shortcut to desktop if offered. It will install it to your Program folder, if there isnt a shortcut on the Desk top, go to START, all programs and look for BARUDAN Programs. select it and a fly out will appear with Tes Viewer on it, select it.
Ok its opened on your screen, go to the top toolbar extreme left, File, click on it and the drop down menu opens, scroll down to DESIGN BROWSER, select it.
When the browser opens you have a split screen, across the foot of the screen a file information bar, on the top left of the screen a navigation tree display, on the right a design thumbnail display area. Don't be intimidated by the contents of the left hand panel, it's just a road map of your computer folders. Now look down that list and find MY DOCUMENTS, if it's closed it will have a small + sign at the left of it, click that + and my documents will fall open showing all the folders in it, look down the list and find the folder with your download folder inside it, now you see why you renamed it when you created it, makes life easier. Found it, click the +sign and the folder inside will show, select it.
Look at the panel on the right, all the designs in that folder are displayed as little pictures not a windows file icon. Click the first one, just one click, look at the foot of the screen, .
On the left design information,, width, height, number of stitches, number of colours or stops, this is a commercial embroidery users program. in the middle a thumbnail of the design, and a thumbnail of each colour in the order it will stitch in, that's real handy as you will discover the more designs you do, then finally on the right an Open or Cancel button. Now if you want to view the design full size you use the open button. The design is popped into the main program for you to view it..
Ok I'm a wee bit tired now, and you are probably thinking Whoa, too much too much. So print or just read here and go through it.
One last thing a link to Embroidery Library Projects. com. An online encyclopedia in easy to read language and loaded with useful information.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.embroiderylibrarypr...rojects.com/</a>
Open the Techniques and guides tab first, then prepare to master the art of downloading.

digimad

Edited: 11/20/2009 at 12:40 PM by digimad
 11/20/2009 05:15 PM

Author Icon
gransewer

I also have Buzz Tools. I also buy AnitaGoodsign. The CD always has Jef and other formats on it. the way the designs are placed instead of downloading the large ones you can rehoop the smaller ones to look like the large design meant for a 6x10 hoop. So just use the ones meant for the 5x7 hoop and rehoop instead of using the Giga hoop which i also have. Much easier. Buzz Tools will convert most formats to Jef or Sew. I have used that program since they first came out with it and now have an upgraded one Buzz ToolsV4. There is a program called Buzz Edit that will resize much better than the free one on Anitagoodsigns CD
 11/20/2009 05:19 PM

Author Icon
gransewer

Oh, if i can help you more go to the private box and leave me your email and then i can explain a lot more.
 11/20/2009 06:11 PM

Author Icon
MOM

You can also go to a website called : FREE EMBROIDERY STUFF (there is another name on the site when you reach the website but I cannot remember it. I believe it might be embroideryonline or somethinbg llike that) however if you click on free stuff it will bring up a box with choices on the left hand side click on conversion tools. When you register on the website (It is free) you will be able to use the conversion software for free. They also offer free designs.

MOM
Statistics
91711 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.