Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Problems with threads knotting and bunching underneath the hoop
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/13/2009 11:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/13/2009 11:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Momma

I recently purchased the Embroidery machine Janome 350E and I was setting it up, picture, by picture of the manual. I followed all of the steps and began to embroider the first item on the machine.....the basket of flowers. Things went along really well and I was on the last little part......finishing the flowers and the threads started bunching underneath. I have rethreaded and rethreaded, re-installed the bobbin over and over. What am I doing wrong. I am getting very frustrated and really have nowhere to go for help.
 11/13/2009 11:15 AM

Author Icon
digimad

Check your thread is sitting firmly in the take up arm, sometimes a sudden spooling of thread from the reel can cause it to jump out. When that happens it slides down the back of the take up arm and the slack doesn't get removed so the excess thread wraps around the bobbin case and causes a birds nest.
Thread nets help to prevent that happening.

-------------------------
digimad
 11/17/2009 04:02 PM

Author Icon
pawaha

I was having the same problem with my Janome 11000. I've had it into the dealer 3 times is so many days, First like Digimad says, the thread in the take up lever wasn't seated down in that little grove. Brought it home, still breaking bunching up underneath even jumping out of the hoop. This design is taking 110 minutes, I've ruined 4 blocks of fabric. Dealer said use 14 needle, did with the same results. Wound my own Janome bobbin with Janome bobbin thread, still...... Now I seem to be stitching ok with a change of thread. I was using Marathon which I love and I've bought 10,000 mm of two different colorsn but the thread doesn't seem to be bunchig or shredded. I sure hope that this is the problem but oh how I hate not to use that Marathon, loved the color and sheen. We'll see what happens whoops it just happened again and its only 30% completed. Any one else out there have any suggestions.
Thank you
Patti
 11/17/2009 05:23 PM

Author Icon
digimad

Hi Patti, get yourself a vertical threadstand instead of the horizontal thread holder. Stand it to the right and back of the machine and lay the thread through the stands guide arm then thread up as normal. Use thread nets, slow the stitch speed to 600 max lower if you can stand the pain of watching it stitch slower, it does help though. Keep an eye on that take up hook, tedious I know but keeping an eye on it isnt as wearing as throwing yet another stitchout in the bin. Been there and know just how annoying it is.

-------------------------
digimad
 11/18/2009 04:14 PM

Author Icon
pawaha

thanks I am using a vertical thread stand, but haven't slowed the speed. I think I've tried everything else. I have noticed that the thread has come out of the take up lever. I tried another brand of thread, I had been using Marathon and I don't think the machine likes that. Too bad because I bought a lot of it. I think someone wrote earlier about machines and how they like some threads better than others. Maybe mine has "high faluting tastes"
Patti
 12/07/2009 09:51 PM

Author Icon
brutusmachine

I bought the 300e a few months ago and started having trouble with birdnesting. I took it into the dealer for them to look at and they fixed it. He just told me that he calibrated the top and bottom tension and it has not done that since!
Statistics
91696 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.