Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Thread bunching under the hoop
Topic Summary: 350E thread bunching, needle stuck
Created On: 03/10/2009 02:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/10/2009 02:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ntswood

I started having problems last night. Been sewing on 350E for 6 weeks great. Nothing unusual happened that I can recall. However, I was making ants on an apron and when I tried to change color, the needle kept getting stuck and the thread bunched up under the hoop on the stabalizer. Been using the same type thread, stabalizer, needle. I replaced the needled, rethreaded bobbin and replaced bobbin and needle. Don't know what else to try. I could never get it working again. I gave up and went to bed. Got any ideas
 03/10/2009 05:34 PM

Author Icon
MOM

The new machines at times for some designs after a while do give us a problem if the speed is set too fast. I attended a class about a year ago that was given by a commercial ditigizier (john Deere) and he said that even though our machines can be set to sew quite fast the rule of thumb should be 600 stitches per minute. Most of the commercial machines can sew as fast as 1200 or more but our home machines even though can sew faster than the 600 keeping them at 600 avoids thread fraying, bobbbin problems, and needles burring. I know others may feel differently I thought I would just pass this on. I have the 11,000 and can sew quite fast but I keep it on 600 and I also had the 300E and kept that at 600.

Perhaps slowing down your machine might help.

Happy sewing!
 03/11/2009 08:48 AM

Author Icon
ntswood

Thanks for you reply. I found the problem. I moved my sewing room around and somehow the tension dial was moved to the 1 position. I moved it to 3 and it is working like a dream. I'm glad I read your message, however. I had my speed set to 400 (I think, very slow anyway) so that reminded me of that.

Thanks for your help.
 03/12/2009 06:17 PM

Author Icon
ntswood

Well I thought I found the problem. But it is back. Needle gets stuck and top threads are bunched under the hoop. I slowed speed, changed needles, bobbins. It has been working great for about 6 weeks and now I can't change thread without it getting stuck five or six times, or like tonight, I didn't even count. I just gave up in frustration.
 03/12/2009 07:23 PM

Author Icon
Lumpy

rethread making sure your thread is all the way in the take up lever. Also you can run some dental floss through the tension area to clean out any lint in there.

Patty FL
 03/17/2009 11:47 PM

Author Icon
eljay

In December, I started having a similar problem. It is still not resolved. Two repair technicians have looked at it and serviced it and declared it 'fixed', but when the machine comes home it is still not working properly. Hope you have better luck than I have. I'm terribly frustrated.
 04/16/2009 12:23 PM

Author Icon
sewingwbabe

I have a 350e and have had the same problem and had to have the bobbin repaired and don't want to go down that road again! The best I could find out about this is that SOME Janome machines will not work well with any kind of bobbin but a Janome bobbin. To date I have been winding my own bobbins on the Janome bobbins that came with the machine and have recently ordered Janome prewound bobbins to see how they work. It is VERY frustrating - been there, done that :-)

Peggy
Winnipeg MB Canada
 04/21/2009 09:03 AM

Author Icon
judygruber

I had a similar problem and eventually found that I wasn't putting the thread through the loop in the foot as shown in the needle threading instructions, and it was also necessary to hold the lead end of the thread until the machine sewed a few stitches. Making sure I did both of these two items has cleared my problem. It seemed much too simple a solution but it worked for me.
 04/24/2009 04:52 PM

Author Icon
ntswood

I finally figured out this problem. I was leaving the presser foot down sometimes when I threaded. I rarely have problems with that now.
 04/27/2009 02:38 PM

Author Icon
peanutbuttercircles

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be my thread cutter was jammed. And it just happened to me again.
I've had it fixed 2 other times and I'm told now that it will probably have to be sent back to Janome. It's not even a year old. I'm very frustrated as well.
Statistics
90167 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.