Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: MC 9900
Topic Summary: Thoughts re: machine
Created On: 04/20/2013 08:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/20/2013 08:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nobarbedoll

Just got the 9900 and am interested in whether anyone else has it and how you like it. Had my old Kenmore for 39 years, so I am really entering a whole new world here! I bought it mainly for sewing, but now find myself totally engrossed with embroidery. Just some random thoughts if you'd like. Thanks!
 04/21/2013 11:16 PM

Author Icon
VickyL

I have owned a Janome embroidery machine for the past ten years and have loved every moment. I currently own a 12000 and an 8900. When I 'got into' it, it was not the investment it is now. I have been saying for a while now that most people who want o try machine embroidery now can only do it with a previously owned, older machine or a HUGE investment of money. The 9900 is the answer/solution to that problem!
I saw the 9900 at my quilt shop the day it arrived and was very impressed. It has features of the top of the line machines with the physical size and capability to be an 'on the go' machine. You can do so much with it and still take it to classes, retreats, etc. without lugging an enormous, expensive piece of equipment.
My husband reminds me of this every time I leave the house with my 12000. I am even thinking of getting one to use 'on the road' and leave my 12K at home! Seems to be a great machine at a great price. And it sounds like you have only just begun your embroidery journey. Enjoy!
 04/22/2013 11:12 AM

Author Icon
charlienash

Hi I recently bought the MC900 as well. I'm in love!! Had a Singer embr mach and had so much trouble with it, I traded it in on my Janome. I can't beleive much much better I can do with this one.
I only had one question, do you or anyone else know what the procedure is for using a flash drive to embroider my designs from other places?
Thanks, Charlie
 04/22/2013 12:49 PM

Author Icon
MOM

You have to format the flash drive in the machine to create folders to place your designs. There are previous postings explaining this. You will need to have your design in JEF format in order for your machine to read it. I have not seen the new machine, but I have had numerous Janome emb machines and now have the 12,000 and the procedure is the same. Be sure your flash drive is compatible with your machine. Check your manual for that information.

MOM
 04/22/2013 01:12 PM

Author Icon
charlienash

Thanks Mom,

I should of explained in my earlier post that I have already formated the flash drive, dwnlded the design ine JEF format and added it to the embr file on the flash drive. My Janmoe still wont show the design that is loaded in the flash.
So far I have not found what capatitcy flash drive my machine requires. But I'll continue to look for it.

I appreciate your reply. If you find anything else I might require I appreciate your efforts,

Charlie
 04/22/2013 01:26 PM

Author Icon
charlienash

I found that my MC9900 should not use aflash drive larger than 8g.
Thanks Charlie
 04/22/2013 01:52 PM

Author Icon
nobarbedoll

Thanks, Vicki! I am just starting and don't even know exactly where to begin. Right now I am looking a patterns until my eyes cross, but it's fun. I have gathered from reading, that I need to be sure I get a .jef format, and that's just about how smart I am at this point -- not very! LOL! I will check in later. Perhaps one day I can contribute something helpful.
 04/22/2013 02:54 PM

Author Icon
devilcat

8G seems pretty big. I would check this with your dealer. Even if it works, it will take 6 months for your machine to scroll through it.

I have a 12K and would hesitate to use anything larger than 2G.

Jacquie

-------------------------
Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 04/26/2013 02:19 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Hi,

An 8gb flash drive can be used on the 9900 but you'd never want to load it up. If you can get smaller capacity flash drives things will be easier and faster when taking them to the machine.

If your designs aren't showing on you machine, you may have them in the wrong folder. They need to be in the inside folder. Another thing could be that the design is not the size that your machine will accept ie: the design is to large or has a stitch count that is to large. The stitch count shouldn't be a concern for the 9900 but the hoop size could be.

Cheryl

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 11/25/2013 08:32 AM

Author Icon
Gammikb

What is the price range on the 9900?
 11/27/2013 05:57 PM

Author Icon
aliboiron

it's around 3700 can $ (+tx) around my area

Mont-Laurier, Québec (CANADA)
MC 9700
 12/06/2013 04:18 PM

Author Icon
XCVictoryGirl

I have a MC 12000 but my dealer said to stick to small capacity thumb drives. I found 2 GB drives at WalMart.com when I couldn't find them locally (we live in a small town).
 12/06/2013 05:45 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

No matter how big your USB drive is NEVER put to many designs on it as your machine may have heart failure - won't break but may freeze and then you have no choice but to turn if off and start over. It is still advisable to go with as small as you can get for memory and then only use it for designs that you intend to sew, then save to computer and delete from the USB for the next time you need it.

Cheryl

Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 12/10/2013 04:31 PM

Author Icon
countrysilkwormers

Hi Cheryl,
i am new to the MC9900 as well Have a Brother Quattro as well, but bought the 9900 to take camping as i just love it but leo have trouble with USB's I only use 2 GB ones and have put designs in the Embroidery folder after formatting the USB but it still does not read them these are only small designs like a butterfly What do you think it could be am I doing it wrong It has excepted some but others done the same way just don't show up
Thanks Lyn
 12/10/2013 11:53 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Lynn,

Take your USB to your computer and check to see the folder structure on it. You should have an EMB folder and inside it another folder with a name like embf or My Designs - name doesn't matter just that there is another folder. That "other" folder is where your .jef files need to be placed. I expect that you haven't got your designs buried deep enough on your USB. I don't want to confuse you but this the structure:

EMB:embfesign.jef

Cheryl

12/11/2013 12:20 AM

Author Icon
countrysilkwormers

Thank you will go have a look at it again
Lyn
 03/22/2014 01:50 AM

Author Icon
Katia111

I just got a 9900 yesterday and was so excited, although a bit apprehensive to get started on it. I have been sewing since I was five so you would think this would not be a big deal. Anyway, I jumped in and set it up. I am pretty sure I have everything threaded right. I have repeated the steps over and over and watched the video repeatedly, all that. But the tension just seems off. The stitches are beautiful on the top, but on the underside they are not right. Too much upper thread is showing. I can adjust most of it out manually. But I should not have to do that. When I put it back to default it goes back to bad tension again. The seams are tight, just unsightly on the underside. I was using plain cotton quilting fabric, nothing special or odd. Any ideas? Did I get a lemon? I hate to take it back, the guy was so sweet. It has to be something simple, at least I hope it is. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
 03/22/2014 11:20 AM

Author Icon
Jeane

Hi Katia. Congratulations on your new Janome. Some things to Consider: When you are threading the machine is the foot in the up position? This opens the tension discs and allows the threads to set into the tension. Next check that you are dropping the needle into your fabric with the needle threaded. Is your bobbin thread coming off the bobbin in the correct direction? Are you bringing the bobbin thread up above the needle plate prior to sewing? When I threaded my first Janome....I found that I had the bobbin thread coming off the bobbin and into the guides in the wrong direction...a simple error but it makes a big difference in the stitch formation. Hope these ideas bring you success. Happy sewing. Jeane

Jeane, Coarsegold, CA (near Yosemite National Park)
MC11000 se, MC6500, FM-725, 525S, Compulock, 760 Jem,
White Serger
 03/22/2014 02:17 PM

Author Icon
Katia111

I went back over all the suggestions and even changed the thread to a better thread. But still the same. So I called the dealer and he had some ideas. But it did not change a thing. So I think I will take it in and see if he can figure it out. He said he can show me on the floor model, but I think I will take mine in anyway so he can see what it is doing. He said I should not have to make any adjustments to the tension, that the machine should do it for me. So I guess we will see. Thanks though, and any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.
 03/22/2014 03:20 PM

Author Icon
Jeane

Katia....It would be good to give us the results of your visit to the dealer and let us know how your tension and thread situation gets resolved. Jeane

Jeane, Coarsegold, CA (near Yosemite National Park)
MC11000 se, MC6500, FM-725, 525S, Compulock, 760 Jem,
White Serger
FORUMS : Ideas : MC 9900

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
94139 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.