Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: How to oil 6600
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/19/2008 07:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/19/2008 07:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
adnilttrop

How and where do I oil my Janome 6600. I live the machine but want to take good care of it. There don't seem to be any directions in the manual. My old Bernina manual came missing one page - how to oil - and now I am concerened
 01/19/2008 08:49 PM

Author Icon
Warbler

Janome has no recommendations for oiling but I know that you can oil the wick which is located beneath the bobbin case. I think I posted a similar response here... I'll be back...

Ah yes, here... To access it you need to remove the needle plate, then the bobbin case. Beneath that you will see in the center a metal circle with what looks like a waxy piece of cotton. Do not remove it. It is called the wick and will absorb sewing machine oil. Just a tiny drop of oil is all that is needed. I check it about every 3 months or so or if I sew steadily for days on end.

I always recommend that you contact your Janome dealer for mantenance recommendations. They may say that a regular yearly maintenance check is all that is needed to keep your Janome going...

If you are a new Janome 6600 owner then I highly recommend joining the Yahoo group for Janome 6500/6600 owners. Here is there website: Yahoo Group for Janome 6500/6600

See you there!

-------------------------
Janome MC6600, Bernina 240, Juki MO735 serger, 1948 221-1, 1951 201-2

Edited: 01/19/2008 at 08:59 PM by Warbler
 04/17/2008 08:15 AM

Author Icon
Sami

I find that my 6600 is very fussy with cleanliness.... (i just had her for 4 months) small amounts of fuzz or lint and it missbehaves and misses stitches... and very needle sensitive!!! It eats needles!!! I go thrugh a lot every month!!! Sometimes when she acts like this i shut her down for a coulpe of days and when I start her up she is happy again!!! hmmm I am not sure if I bought a sewingmachine or a badtempered lady!!! My old machines just function woth no problems day out and day in... they are mechanical so the may not have the ability to form a personality! I clean my mashines after any project and once a month I take a special care and oil if needed... (just joined the yahoogroup för 6500 and 6600!!!)

owner of MC6600P and MC3350E and some other companions!!(SWEDEN)
 05/16/2008 03:40 PM

Author Icon
CarrieO

how do I join the yahoogroup for 6500 and 6600
 02/03/2009 08:53 AM

Author Icon
fzxdoc

I made a particularly fuzzy project with my new 6600 and had to pay close attention to keeping the bobbin case cleaned out. With all of my other projects on it, it has sewn like a dream.

My only complaint is that the presser foot is touchy about remaining flat. If it is at too much of an angle, it will stitch in place. I use my "hump jumper" more with this machine than with any other.

Kathryn

Kathryn
See my sewing projects at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/sets/
 02/03/2009 11:34 AM

Author Icon
devilcat

Thank you for sharing your projects. It was nice to see a picture of you too ( I assume that is you at the foot of the stairs). Do you do this for a living or are you just addicted? Do you live in Ohio. Beautiful view of the mountains.

I am now determined to make a new raincoat. I made one from a Dior pattern several years ago. If I still have it around, I will unearth it and make something splendid.

Jacquie

Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 09/16/2009 07:05 PM

Author Icon
RConlonL

Does not need to be oiled
 10/19/2009 05:45 PM

Author Icon
Iain

Interesting that you should say that Sami. I have new 6600p and absolutely agree that it is fussy. Wonderful when working perfectly with so many choices of stitch but loves a new needle. Mine is very sensitive to the thread tension. If a particular stitch says Tension 2 to 4 it works most happily on 4. I guess, being new, everything is still tight and might slacken off, in time, and work better, like a new car engine.
One important point. I read that old thread is a problem for new machines. They hate it. It is 'sticky' and tangles easily. My expert (a sewing machine engineer ) told me to throw away any thread from the old sewing boxes that we sometimes inherit. Or only use it for hand sewing. He could be right. Before hearing this, I used an old (20 years at least) red thread and I've been brushing red lint out of the bobbin case for days.
 12/03/2009 09:42 PM

Author Icon
sisteranna

Hi everyone, I have just joined your group. I've owned my 6600 for about 18 month after replacing my 20 year old Janome. I only now start to understand the machine. I also listen to experiences of other sewers and read all the magazines I can lay my hands on in the library. For example I read the advise of using denim needles size 12 for patchwork & size 16 for quilting. I tried it and worked like a charm. Still don't know if we need to oil the 6600. To have to send your machine in for a service every year seems a bit over the top. I oiled my old Janome for 20 years and read this week in the instructions book that it would not need oil.
 12/03/2009 11:35 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

You don't need to oil your machine BUT you can put one very small drop of oil on the wick under the bobbin case, every couple of months if you sew a lot or less often if your machine doesn't get a lot of use.

About thread. I have thread that is over 30 years old and I do not have any problems with any of it. The only time I get much lint is if I use cotton thread and then I just brush it out or vacuum out the lint. I have always bought very good thread - not ever do I use cheap thread from any store.

Cheryl

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 12/17/2009 10:15 PM

Author Icon
wisper

Hi everyone. I am new here. I've had my 6600 since April and it is VERY fussy! It not only eats needles - but thread too. It took me awhile to figure out that it is very particular about EVERYTHING! But mostly, it loathes lint. It likes expensive, new thread, won't go a half dozen stitches with cheap or old thread. It is very particular about thread both top and bottom. Likes everything spic and span. Of course, I use only cotton thread for my quilting and sometimes quilt for 10 to 12 hours in a day so I had to shop around to find a thread it seamed to really like. My 6600 is especially fond of King Tut and likes it in the bobbin too. One of the service reps at Quilt Yard says Betty Cotton uses alot of King Tut - top and bottom - so I decided to quit worrying about it and just use it since the machine likes it. I read where someone said about a penny spent....that is the truth for this machine! Where do you find Janome needles by the 100 count? That would be ideal. I am having trouble finding Janome products - bobbins, needles, thread, etc - except in small quantities and high prices. Well, I'll quit rambling. Have a great holiday! Oh, one more question, does anybody take their bobbin area apart to clean out underneath. I've already had one servicing and that was all the machine needed. The dealer says it is fine, just won't tolerate the lint. I thought I could save a few hundred dollars a year if I knew how to clean under there - or get in there to do it!
 08/22/2010 07:38 PM

Author Icon
quilther

I have had my MC6600P for 4 years. It didn't get used much the first couple of years. But the last couple of years it has been a real workhorse. I quilt and sew some garments and purses, bags, and such. I live where there is alot of dust. I clean my machine every couple of months or more if it is needed. I use quality thread. Schemtz topstitch needles. My machine has been virtually trouble free and it has never been serviced. I do put a drop of oil under the bobbin from time to time and a drop on the needle shaft. I love my machine!

MC 6600P, Gem Gold 660, /Babylock EMP6, BLE8 Serger
 11/03/2010 01:19 PM

Author Icon
jsm1144

You should definitely take your 6600 for a cleaning. The scissor cutter assembly should be serviced now and then or it could give you trouble. My 6600 never, ever gave me one lick of trouble and I did some pretty intense things with it. I sadly traded it in for the 7700 for the additional features. I adore the 7700 which has also given me no trouble (yet) but I still have total respect for that workhorse 6600. A dealer can get into areas where the consumer cannot and you really should get it serviced (and an authorized dealer only, please)
 11/05/2010 12:30 AM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

People,

You are in the wrong section for sewing machines. This section is for a very special machine the "Felting machine" or FM725. Not that your questions aren't valuable they should just be addressed in another area. "Ideas", "Techniques", "Notions" are a few that come to mind.

Cheryl

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 07/30/2013 07:47 PM

Author Icon
katesisco

http://www.ehow.com/how_605639...e-sewing-machine.html

And I just got a used 251 and using it the first time I managed to lock the stitch dial. It is locked like it is set in concrete. And the seller demonstrated a button hole for me!! Is is so sensative that if I had the needle down instead of up that would lock the top stitch dial? or maybe there is something simple I need to set?
 02/07/2014 06:20 AM

Author Icon
teginder81

When I purchased my new Janome Computer Sewing Machine about three years ago, I took the free hour lesson on how to use it. To my surprise I was told to NEVER OIL THE MACHINE. Whew! I'm glad I found out that information because there was NO WHERE IN THE WHOLE INSTRUCTION BOOKLET that warned me not to oil the sewing machine. I had considered skipping the free lesson because I had to take the sewing machine with me down a flight of steps, drive across town with it, unload it and take it to the sewing machine store and at the time, my health was not good. I'm better now. I'm so glad I did not skip the lesson if oiling the machine later would have ruined it. Is this true of all computer sewing machines or just Janome and I wonder why the instruction booklet does not mention this important fact.
 06/06/2014 02:37 AM

Author Icon
Donavann

Well i have new 6600p and definitely believe, the fact that it is restless. Amazing when working completely with so many options of stitch but likes a new needle. I think being new everything is still limited, and might slacken off soon enough, and perform better, like a new car engine.
Statistics
87113 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.