Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Binder Foot
Topic Summary: Binder Foot
Created On: 02/19/2009 09:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/19/2009 09:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
busybee

Have just purchased this foot and am having a real hard time keeping the fabric even so it will catch the binding on both the bottom and top. Does anyone know of any "tricks" to get me on the right track.

Thanks
 02/22/2009 12:47 AM

Author Icon
pandasew

Not sure if this is an option, but a small zig zag or multi stitch zig zag can sometimes help do the trick. The other is practise, practise, practise. The smaller the binding the easier it is to keep even, also, go slow & make sure the binding stays even & flat as it feeds in(not sure how else to say that so hope it makes sense).

Edited: 02/22/2009 at 12:49 AM by pandasew
 02/22/2009 11:37 AM

Author Icon
devilcat

I found this thing frustrating too. It is really difficulty to keep the top side and the bottom side of the binding even because the "sandwich filling" distorts it. You could try a lot of practise or not use it. Here are a couple of ways to bind without the foot. Baste the binding in place and stitch down. I find this the easiest and foolproof. Or, you can open up the binding and stitch down on the reverse side and then fold it over and stitch on the right side. Sometimes thiese gadgets which are supposed to be the answer to our prayers create more problems than they solve.

I made 3 sets of 6 placemats using the foot. After a while you will get the feel of it. It was really boring, I don't think I will do it again.

If you are still determined to use the foot, try googling. There may be some help out there.

Jacquie

-------------------------
Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 02/26/2009 10:49 AM

Author Icon
busybee

Thanks for the info. I think it's more trouble than it is worth. Maybe after practising though I'd think different.
 03/04/2009 01:19 AM

Author Icon
Whirlingturban

I have also been reading up on this because I need to do a lot of binding. What I have read is that you really have to practice. I can also offer that I had a binding foot made for a specific job I was doing- I had miles of ruffles to do and I needed to do them from (brace yourself!) polyester charmeuse satin and the resulting binding had to be 1" wide!!!! (That means the strip of fabric fed into the binder was- golly- about 2.5 inches wide! These were the official Chiquita Banana Lady dresses, by the way.

The binding foot was made by a company that made feet for the garment industry- it was not a "home" binding foot. The binding did not even have to be pre-folded and the foot (which was not adjustable) was surprisingly inexpensive considering that it was custom made. It did take some practice but was a bit like riding a bike- once you got it you were okay.

This was in LA. Alas now i am in Bali- which is beautiful but these types of services (custom foot maker) are next to impossible to find so i am DIY-ing everything here. We are struggling with our binding fot but I'm praying we can make it work. I am also having a hellish time with a ruffler now and any input would be so appreciated! We have to use low shank "home" machines. I have 2 Janomes.

I bought a Japanese ruffler that was supposed to be good, but it will not work unless you push the foot to gather with your index finger and the bottom of the foot is so sharp that it keep cutting the thread! We have just got to have a working ruffler!

Katherine In Bali
 03/17/2009 07:46 PM

Author Icon
playnaround

There are some great photos and pictures on using the binder if you go online and search for Debbie Cook's coverstitch tutorials. They are great and loaded with pictures.

I found that you had to pull out about 1 1/2 inches of the strip and be sure that it feeds through the little feeder in the back. Do not pull the fabric so that it stretches as it comes out of the sections tha fold the fabric. I pull out te small section to begin, fold it together as it should be, pin it and pull it under the pressure foot.

There is a huge section on binders on Pattern Review.com
 04/24/2009 06:20 AM

Author Icon
bigsissy

I think they changed it to www.sewing.patternreview.com
This is a very informative site for all machines its also a Free site!!!
Everything you need to know about sewing!!!Hope this helps!
p.s. I'm a newbie here
 05/08/2009 10:00 AM

Author Icon
BikiniBaker

Maybe this can help you?
http://janome.com/index.cfm/Le...anome_Ultimate_Ruffler

-------------------------
KaBoom!
FORUMS : Notions : Binder Foot

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
82966 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.