Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Compulock Serger
Topic Summary: advice ?
Created On: 11/17/2008 05:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/17/2008 05:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
creativecolors

Hello I am looking into buying a used compulock serger For $1000. is that a fair price? and I like to find out what people think of the compulock ? I have called a janome dealer who told me to stay away from that serger as it can cause alot of problems , but the owner says she has had no problems with the machine the more answers of users of this serger the better as I want to make sure I am bying the right serger I also can buy a used husqvarna 1003 lcd serger What is a better choice? Thanks to every in advance for there advice !!!

Edited: 11/17/2008 at 06:34 PM by creativecolors
 11/17/2008 06:54 PM

Author Icon
dorayme

I have had a used Compulock for over a year. I paid under $600 for it. I got it off eBay since I was having trouble getting one in a store. I too was dissuaged from buying one by dealer people in more than one store. I'm not sure why because so far it's a great 5 thread overlock machine.
It is a littler finnicky than a non computerized machine if it's not cleaned regularly due to the fact that it has so many sensors that help to diagnose a problem. They need to be clean to read the threading path, tension, plate, presser foot and doors. That's really the only delmia that I have had with mine. That's a lot considering it was delivered from across the country in it's soft bag in a box with no other packaging! It's a very sturd machine imho.
It's easy to thread, and switch between functions. I rarely have to switch from what the presets direct me to do. Like the other Janome's it's very intuative. The touch screen is nice and helpful. It's relatively quiet for a serger and the cover hem function is nice as well, though it's not adjustable in width. Pattern Review has other reviews on this machine including mine. I wouldn't trade it for any other machine!
I don't have experience with the Husky, it's possible you can find a review on it at PR and compare points? The other thing I would suggest is to have them demo'ed for you and bring some samples of fabrics you would tpically sew, or applications you would use and try to use the sergers to trial them out. Also switch between functions yourself after the demo to see how easy it is. With any used machine check to know the maintenance records, that may be an indication of how well it was cared for, cleaned, maintained. Broken needles, lint and other abuses take their toll on the life of the machine and it's parts. Boasting that the needles have never had to be preplaced isn't a good thing ;-) Good luck!

-------------------------
Kenmore 1040~Kenmore Ergo 3 Elite~Kenmore 19966~Janome Compulock 888~New Home 104D
doreen ray, child of God, wife to rocky, SAHM to charmie 5/03 and mardie 9/04 and /zuri 12/07.
_...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
 11/17/2008 10:06 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Creative Colours,

If you are going to spend $1000 on a used machine, why don't you look at the new Janome 1200. In Canada it retails from about $1200. You then would have a new machine and it is wonderful, I don't own it because I already have 2 that work just fine but I have used this machine at my dealers store. It changes to cover hem much easier than my Husqvarna 936D and costs a lot less. It is also a quieter machine than my Husylock.

But do as Dorayme suggests and try out the machine. If it performs to your satisfaction consider it but I would look at a new one as well.

Cheryl

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 11/20/2008 12:00 AM

Author Icon
cstone

Creative Colors,
I have a Janome 1200D, and I agree with CherylAnn - why not have a look at it. I am very happy with mine, and the top cover stitch is not available on most machines and does a good job. This machine is very versatile, tension is consitant, sews nicely on a wide variety of fabrics, and has a good selection of feet available for various purposes.

I believe they've discontinued the Compulock, so rather than purchase an obsolete machine, I'd suggest going for the newest Janome model for just a little more $.

Hope this helps. I just found this site and thought I'd join in.
Happy sewing!
Stone.
Ontario, Canada.
Juki 634DE, Janome MC6600P, Janome CoverPro 1000, Janome 1200D, Janome MB-4, industrial straight stich.
 11/20/2008 01:57 PM

Author Icon
dafadill

Hi Creat

I too bought a compulock from Ebay. Mine was a little over $500 plus shipping.

One Janome shop also gave me that same old story about it not being very good

but I love mine.

I also notice that not many show up for resale. That says

to me, that people who have them are satisfied with their compulock and keeping

them.

Maybe a much lower offer will buy it if the seller knows that on Ebay they are

selling for 5 to 6 hundred.

Good luck,

Dafadill and my 3 babies: Compulock, 300E and MC11000
 12/13/2008 10:20 PM

Author Icon
nanalozano

Creativecolors,

Did you end up purchasing this machine? If so, are you pleased with its performance? I found a nearby dealer today that I had no idea was as close to me as she was. She was an elderly lady who had a new Compulock 888 in stock. She is not a computer-savvy kind of lady and had not pushed to sell this serger. She showed me the original paperwork on it that showed the MSRP of $2399.00. I purchased it for $1000.00 even. She said she didn't know if it had even been used 5 times in the years she has had it. So, I feel like I got an excellent deal today. I had no intention of buying something this fancy, but I wanted a coverstitch, and I couldn't pass this up.

If the seller you are dealing with has used hers a lot, I would certainly try to pay less than she's asking, but even at $1000.00, if she hasn't used it endlessly, you may still be getting a great deal. Let me know what your decision was.

Nikki

Janome 6125QC, Janome 1600P DB, Janome MC Compulock

Edited: 12/13/2008 at 10:21 PM by nanalozano
 12/17/2008 12:47 AM

Author Icon
creativecolors

Thank you all for your input . no I did not buy the compulock I went to the lady who has it for sale after she dropped the price . but she was not familiar with the machine I can tell the machine is not used much but I was dissapointed that you have to change the plate and change a lot of things to do for instance the cover stitch she never got that far to show me the cover stitch as she did not know herself how to go about it and she got very fustrated.I feel that you have to leave the machine at a certain stitch and leave it at that as it seems alot of hassel to go back let say to regular serging. maybe if I had had a good demonstration? I would think different but she did not know how to tread it herself. how are you all making out with the changing of stitches? do you find it a hassel? the machine is still for sale so please let me know thank you all so much!!
 12/17/2008 09:44 AM

Author Icon
kaelor

deleted

Edited: 03/09/2009 at 10:30 PM by kaelor
 12/17/2008 10:08 AM

Author Icon
kaelor

Edited: 12/17/2008 at 10:09 AM by kaelor
 12/17/2008 09:53 PM

Author Icon
nanalozano

Kaelor,

If you have hardly used this machine, you are giving it away. That is a great price, because according to everything I saw on that, $1000.00 is a steal. I would have bought it from you if I hadn't come upon the deal I did.

Nikki

12/17/2008 10:35 PM

Author Icon
kaelor

deleted

Edited: 03/09/2009 at 10:31 PM by kaelor
 01/06/2009 11:57 PM

Author Icon
djlehn

I have read many notes on Simplicity pattern review and other sites and everyone love the Compulock serger. I debated for a long time and brought one on E-Bay that arrived last night, I am sure there is going to be a learning curve but I am up for the challenge. I think you will find one on E-Bay for $500 to $799 and just watch for one with accessories. I have noticed so accessories that didn't come with mine. I agree with the other person that they are hard to find and everyone seems to like them that reviews them. so watch e-Bay and maybe Craigs list.Good Luck and Wish me luck learning how to use mine now:
 01/07/2009 07:05 AM

Author Icon
nanalozano

djlehn,

Much luck with it! I haven't gotten started with mine just yet as I have a quilt to finish before I get to start in on my serger. Let me know how it goes, if you will.

Thanks,

Nikki

01/08/2009 11:16 PM

Author Icon
momkoz

i have a compulock for sale for $800, if anyone is interested.
its a great machine. serges fine.
im selling coz i need the money to buy another embroidery machine.
momkoz
 01/10/2009 04:35 PM

Author Icon
tinypro

I have had my Compulock for several years and I love it. I use the 4 or 5 thread for my general serging needs. It is a fantastic machine. You might still be able to find an extra manual Janome came out with to learn the ins and out of the Serger. Good luck
FORUMS : Serging : Compulock Serger

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
89227 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.