Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Bobbin holder trouble
Topic Summary: Can't get bobbin holder in properly
Created On: 10/14/2009 10:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/14/2009 10:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
GrammysJoys

Okay, I've tryed for several hours over 3 days trying to get this bobbin holder back into the machine properly. I've read my instruction manual and looked at the pictures, read every forum article and suggestion I could find on this topic, and I still can't make it work. I just got my machine back from servicing, maybe sewn a total of 10 minutes on it - seemed to work okay that time. Was in middle of a in-the-hoop project when I wanted to change the bobbin thread color and when I put the new bobbin in all I keep getting is knots and loops wrapping around the bobbin holder and locking up the machine. I've taken the throat plate off, cleaned the entire area, but to no avail. Anyone have any other suggestions. This nightmare chews up all my sewing time and I can't ever seem to get any sewing done because I'm fiddleing with the silly bobbin holder all the time. I have a MC 10001 machine and mostly just use it for embroidery. I have to get my grandson's Halloween shirt and projects done and mailed to him before it's Christmas. Frustration is at a max! All ideas welcome. THank you.
 10/14/2009 01:28 PM

Author Icon
digimad

Hi Flower, the needle must be at the highest point possible, that presents the bobbin race in the correct alignment. You need to make the small projection that is on the bobbin case sit just to the left of the small projection and spring that is on the top edge of the bobbin race. If the needle arm isnt at it's highest point the bobbin case wont slip in properly. I know it's a fiddle but it will go back I promise you.
The loops and knots sound like the thread isn't entering the take up arm properly, open the hinged left end of your 10001, and see if the thread is snugly in the bottom of the thread channel, sometimes the little spring at the top on the rear of the channel, actually prevents the thread getting into the channel itself. Quite the opposite of what it's intended too, it's designed to stop the thread jumping up and out of the channel. While you've got the end of the machine open, take a look at the take up spring, it sits at the bottom of the threading route between the the tension discs on top and the take up arm. It takes up any slack on the thread when the needle exits the stitch plate along with the excess thread that was passed around the bobbin to catch the bobbin thread. If the take up arm hasn't got the top thread seated in the eye of the arm, that thread never clears the bobbin race.

-------------------------
digimad
 08/17/2010 08:07 PM

Author Icon
sasisuboo

didgimad,
i am having the same problem except that mine keeps jumping out the cradle and i think it is messing up ard the dogfeed
any suggestions
 08/18/2010 05:32 PM

Author Icon
digimad

Do you use a thread net? quite often the thread runs off the spool too quickly and the then escapes the tension discs, which means it feeds far too quickly to the uptake arm. If that happens it can jump out of the hook cradle and slide down the back of the arm causing thread tangles under the needle plate.

digimad
 08/19/2010 09:27 PM

Author Icon
sasisuboo

i just tried it agn and it is like the bobbin is not working at all now no under thread came up on the material i think the bobbin holder might be broken cse it will not stay in either it comes out to easy
is there ne way i can send u a pic of the holder and tell me how and what position it needs to go in the machine
 10/05/2010 02:31 AM

Author Icon
Bettyboo99

Hi GrammysJoys,

What model do you have.? I have Janmone 3160QDC - it is only 3 months old.

It worked fine during the demo and training...but since then..and I too, have had problems with jamming and the bobbin case poping out and jamming everything up it started the first week I brought it home.
In checking, There doesn't seem to be anything holding the bobbin case down in place to stop the bobbin case from popping up and out of it's case.???? Like my other machines.?? My other machines have two latches hold down the
bobbin case...but the 3160QDC...doesn't have that.

I called Janome Support Team to report what I thought might be the problems and was told I could take it to a Janome Tech in my area.
They gave me the phone number and location of one.
So, I took it to a Janmone Tech close to me...to check it out and ask questions as to why...was it jamming , jumping and if he knew of any problems with the bobbin case, etc ...He said that shouldn't happen...he would check it out!!!

In checking ....he found the bobbin case was damaged..When I asked what would cause it to do that ... He said...it was user error..I said Please explain ??
The reasons he gave me were:

1. I did not thread the machine correctly? or
2. I did not wind the bobbin correctly ?
3. or I did not put the bobbin in correctly?

He replaced the bobbin case holder..He tested it and it working again when I left the repair shop. I was told the following and this is the advice I received...

Read my manual on HOW TO do #'s 1. 2. and 3.
and practice using my new machine. Which I did...
and for a month or it was find ....then, It happen again.

Out pops the bobbin case and the jamming...etc

This time it jammed up so bad that it.... broke my thread, my needle and
jammed and twisted the bobbin case...which caused the bobbin case to
pop out of casing...and made terriable noises...
the only way I could stop it from jumping and jamming ...was to turn it off as quick as I could to stop it.??

I thought I was going to have a heart attack ...I was so upset I was shaking
and crying...My husband came running...to see what was going on.??
"What is all the terriable noise. I couldn't explain or speak I was so upset.!!!

I have been sewing and quilting for 30 years with 3 different brand machines
and I have never had my bobbin case pop out and twist and jam up like this
EVER!!!

I called Janmone and then called my dealer to report it...and was told again...it was something I was doing wrong...etc. Janmone machines do not jam that easily and if they do ..." It is usually user error.!!!! Now, that statement made me really feel dumb...and very insulted!!! Now I am really, really upset.
I stayed calm....but shaking as they were talking, etc

I Was told to take it back to the dealer where you bought it... they would check it out and they would send it in for service.

I was also told ""From the sound of it "You probably damaged the bobbin case and something else...???? I stayed cool...but it was hard. To hear User Error again.
I am not sure that is not what they say to everyone...I hope not.

So for now I will have to grin and bear it...I guess. I hope they can give me a
better explaination as to what is going on.???

When check the forum to see if I was the only one. I was so glad that
I was not the only one...I see all kinds of bobbin case problems when I read the forum.

You know they really made me feel dumb !!!! I calmly told them that :

I did read and re-read the manul twice when I first brought the machine home
to make sure I understood how everything works.... I believe that , I can thread a machine properly and wind a bobbin correctly and put the bobbin back in ...it's case in correctly, after all I have been doing these things for 30 years. I have bought used 3 different brand of machines over the years...and only had to have take them in for a cleaning and for a service check to keep them tuned up and good working order. and that ...I have never in my 30 years broken a machine.

Question: Have you ever "Quote...:Broke a machine."
I myself do not know anyone who has...!!!! I have broken the thread or needle yes...but not a machine!!

Please keep in touch...I hope you get your problem solved.

I will let you know how they treated me and if I ever get
the problems of jamming and the bobbin case popping up out.... fixed??!!!!

Thanks for reporting your bobbin case problem..Now I do now know that I am
not the only one was has had a problem. I see we are not alone...

So for now, I will go back to using my faithful 15 year old Singer ...no problems in 15 years.

The reason I bought a new machine, I just want a newer updated machine with more zig zag stitches , plus one with Needle up and Down features.

Hope you get you problem fixed so you can have a great sewing day
Isn't that what we all want...No hassles or jamming..!!!! No popping bobbin case
problems. !!!

You take care...Good Luck...Keep in touch with your out come.
Sorry, this is so long...couldn't help myself...HAHAHA
Bettyboo99
 10/05/2010 08:23 AM

Author Icon
nmsew

I've noticed, on my Janome, that it works better if the needle is in the fabric when I begin sewing, in other words before stepping on the foot pedal.
Either I do it manually or with the needle down button. If I forget, some times the bobbin might jump or cause a thread jam.

You might check that your bobbin itself is not damaged. I also only use Janome bobbins.

nmsew
 03/07/2012 08:15 PM

Author Icon
traci89

This just happened to me! I'm a new quilter. Turns out there is a tiny "wick" on bobbin case, when cleaning, you might accidently pull out because it looks like a thread. I took mine to local quilt store and lady fixed it in a flash. Now I know!

Bobbin case was not sitting tightly and flopping, thread tangling inside. Glad I know now. Hopefully this will help someone else!

Traci ~ New Quilter 2/2012
 11/22/2013 11:55 AM

Author Icon
lw01214

Do you know what this looks like and if i can fix it my self? trying to figure out if this is what is wrong with my machine
 03/12/2014 09:55 PM

Author Icon
cmh

I bought a Janome 3160 QDC April 2010; replaced the bobbin case in June 2012. I have been very careful about following the instructions and also have sewn for many years. This machine has a problem and I want Janome to send the replacement parts that I have read about. On another forum, someone wrote that we should ask for a needle plate update and the new style bobbin case. I have contacted the Missouri Sewing Company where I purchased this machine. I'll write more when I have had some satisfaction with this problem. Until then, I hope more people will write about the faulty bobbin case of the 3160 QDC machine. Thank you all for sharing or I would not have known how to deal with this. It is VERY frustrating and scary when the bobbin case jumps out of place.
 03/14/2014 02:15 PM

Author Icon
tippy

Thanks for the info. I am having similar problems, but my thread keeps bunching up under the needle area and not the bobbin. I took the bobbin and the casing out and cleaned it thoroughly and still the thread keeps bunching up. Will see if I pull anything out.
 03/18/2014 06:27 AM

Author Icon
ladylynchmere

I've got a Janome Excell 5024. I had all sorts of trouble with thread catching on the bobbin. I took it apart, cleaned it and everything looked ok but still it kept jamming and bunching up. I saw a video online that suggested taking a good look at the black bobbin case holder for any chinks or marks that the needle may have made in it. This can make the thread catch on it and make it jump out of its place. They suggest sanding down any nicks with sandpaper and trying again. I did what I was told and, hey presto, bobbin case and machine working fine now. The needle bashing against the holder make a nick which made the thread get caught! Hope this helps with sewing.
 04/18/2014 02:48 PM

Author Icon
knitsteel

I probably bought my machine back in 2009 and have barely used it because I've had the bobbin jumping problem repeatedly and thought it was my fault. I'm ready to toss this machine out as crap and never get another. Has anyone had any luck getting their dealer to service with the replacement parts that are listed on this link? http://www.justanswer.com/1avr...ently-shop-again.html

My dealer is DAVCO in Evansville, Indiana and I was not at all impressed with their customer service after purchase.
 06/07/2014 03:03 PM

Author Icon
Gracie12

I purchased a 3160 in the fall of 2010 and have had many issues with the bobbin case holder as well. It is constantly jamming and as a result must be replaced. The upper thread gets caught around the case and will not pull up the bobbin thread. I have had it repaired twice now. As a result of my experience with this when it came time to purchase a sewing machine for my daughter for Christmas I went with another brand. I read on another blog that there are some 3160's out there in which the bobbin case supporter was manufactured incorrectly and that that piece should be replaced. However, when I brought that to my dealer's attention I was told that is not true. If this is a problem that Janome can correct then I feel they should do that because for those of us buying a Janome for the first time our experience is not a positive one. This has been frustrating to me since it always happens in the middle of a sewing project.
 06/17/2014 06:23 PM

Author Icon
obsessivesewer

In our sewing/quilt room in AZ we have 9 of these machines, the bobbin case holder are a constant problem. We have replaced at least 5 of these just this last season. They are NOT a good machine for a sewing group, for individuals they could be ok, however you have to line up the red dots on the case when reinserting after cleaning under the case. They are priced at $39.95 which is not so cheap. I suggest get rid of that machine.
 06/20/2014 10:10 AM

Author Icon
ladysew

I had this problem with my 6600. My dealer of 25 years showed me why. Sorry that my answer is going to seem rather wordy but I don't know the technical names for all the machine parts. There is a red-triangular-mark on a shiny piece of metal that is attached to the machine, and when you put the bobbin-holder-case back into place in the machine you align the red-triangular-mark that is on the bobbin-holder-case, with red-triangular-mark on the shiny piece of metal that is attached on the machine. On the left side of the shiny piece of metal that is attached to the machine, there is a small piece of metal that is actually a spring. In trying to put the bobbin case back into the machine I had accidentally moved the spring over to left, out of its normal place, and this was what caused my problem. With her finger she just pushed the little spring to the right which moved it back into place and then the bobbin case was easy to place into the machine. She told me I can do it myself if it happens again and that I wouldn't break the spring by pushing it back into place. Love my dealer!
 06/21/2014 01:20 PM

Author Icon
obsessivesewer

We have done all of this. However if this is not lined up correctly the spring gets bent, the case goes past the stop gets punctured and that is the END of the bobbin holder. It has to be replaced, we have tried to readjust the spring, smooth out the scrapes and it just doesn't work. The problem is the PLASTIC bobbin holder. We've had these machines new for three years now and they have been replaced numerous times. On the other hand we also have 7 Pfaff machines that date back to 1994 they have absolutely no problems. I spoke with the
dealer that sells the Janome and the Pfaff. For a group he showed me the same model (94) Pfaff and said these would be good.
Statistics
86528 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.