Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: sewing with transparent thread
Topic Summary: help!
Created On: 08/23/2009 02:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/23/2009 02:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
weezie51

I have a Janome 4362. I bought it a while back, but am only now finally able to really do some sewing on it (other than the necessary everyday stuff.) Anyway, I am trying to applique a prestitched figure for my grandaughter, and I wanted to use the transparent nylon thread....but I can't get it to work. If I sew with the invisible on top, and regular thread in the bottom, I can't adjust the tension so that the stitches balance, and the bobbin thread is just straight and pulls out no matter what adjustment I select. If I try to use the transparent thread in the bottom, it just keeps breaking (above). Any ideas....this is making me crazy....and I have used transparent thread before, often, on other machinces.
 12/20/2009 06:26 AM

Author Icon
mamaw

I have a 6600 and use Polyester, not nylon, in both the top and bottom without problems. turn your tension down. I use 2. Nylon cannot be uses in bobbin.
 12/20/2009 08:48 AM

Author Icon
digimad

I take it you are talking about the very fine nylon monofilament thread, I use this stuff a lot, both on the top and bobbin. I wind my bobbins very slowly as it is so stretchy, and only half full. I don't alter the bobbin tension as it's almost the same weight as bobbin thread. 80 which is cobweb fine, I use the large size, 68000 metres as I find it invaluable for so many things..
Here's a link to the stuff I use, nylon monofilament
I also use the mid weight one weight 250, but for toys etc as it can be scratchy, that I buy in 10000 metere spools.
You need to make sure it does pass through all the tension points and behind the thread guides. I find a net handy to prevent it spooling and use a 2.5 mm stitch length, for zigzag between 3 and 4 millimetres width and a 1 millimetre gap between the stitches. My top tension I reduce exactly as I would for satin stitch, and I stitch moderately to slow to prevent excessive thread stretch.
I love the stuff, and contrary to the scare stories you read about it melting, as long as you don't use a cotton setting on an iron it's fine.

-------------------------
digimad
Statistics
86988 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.