Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: problems with mini sew 525 - bobbin holder
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/09/2009 01:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/09/2009 01:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Fishyfins

hey there
sorry if this thread doesnt go in here, i couldnt find a techical or troubleshooting forum for it to go in, so the mods can move it if necessary.

anyway, about a year and a half ago, i bought a janome Mini Sew (model number 525, though the "sewist 525s" which ive read is the same item, looks nothing like what i have!) to help me with my costume work. at the time, i felt bad about splashing out on such an extravagance, but since then, its become one of the best purchases i have ever made! anyway, i was using it to make some hair bows a few days ago, and it started to go wrong. when i was trying to start some seams, the fabric got chewed up, and i ended up with a string of knots sitting in the hole underneath the needle, which i had to unpluck. after several tried of this, it eventually got a lot worse, and the last time i tried, the thread got tangled up all inside the bobbin chamber underneath the needle, and messed everything up.

i opened the compartment to fix it, and the holder thing that the bobbin sits in came out, and now i cant get it back in! i tried putting it back in the only way i could see how, but when i tried it, it obviously didnt work, because the needle came down onto it, and hit the plastic, breaking the needle. now, i lost my instructions when i recently moved house (probably under one of my beds buried), and the website wont let me download another instruction manual (dowload link isnt working for me), so, can anyone here help me in trying to get this part of the machine properly back in place so it doesnt break the needle? ive tried every conceivable location and place for it, but it still does not work!

thanks for your time
 08/12/2009 08:36 AM

Author Icon
digimad

Hi flower, bobbin cases can be a nightmare to replace, I know I used to struggle like crazy. However, there is a solution, raise the needle to it's highest position, that presents the bobbin race, in the correct position to recieve the bobbin case. If you look at the bobbin race, (the bit the bobbin holder has to fit in) you'll see there is a small protusion to the right of centre that that has a partner on the bobbin case. Those two make a couple when the bobbin case fits back in. Now look at the bobbin case, it has a small protusion to the right of centre that sits to the left of the one on the bobbin race when it's in correctly.
I always find it easier to slip the bobbin holder back by holding it slightly to the left and then angling it gently away from me and wiggling it to the right a touch . Oh dear this is much harder to describe than do. Keep the needle arm at its highest point. It's in correctly when the little protusion on the bobbin holder is sitting on the left side of the one on the bobbin race. It prevents the bobbin holder from turning and being in the wrong spot when the needle comes down. You need to remove the bobbin holder regularly to clean any dudt or debris under it and to pop a spot of oil on the little wick that lives directly under it.
Good luck flower, it will go back in I promise, just keep that needle at its highest position.

-------------------------
digimad
 10/14/2009 10:59 AM

Author Icon
GrammysJoys

I feel your pain! I'm having the same problem on my MC 10001 and have been researching it, reading help tips, and looking at pictures in the instruction book for 3 days now with no results. Can't believe these oh so intricate machines can't make inserting the bobbin holder more fail proof. I'm out of sewing commission until I can solve this problem Did you have luck solving yours and if so any secrets you can pass on? Thanks
Sitting Dead in the Water
 05/09/2010 04:05 AM

Author Icon
redpony

I also am having problems getting the bobbin casing back into the race. I have had the sew mini about two years. It runs and sews beautifully, but dang that bobbin casing. I have to struggle with it everytime. Right now I am unable to get it in at all. It just wont go. I tried lifting the needle to its highest position, but that still did not work. I dont really see matching protrusions on it as described in another post. I do see some that could possibly fit together, but the casing wont go in that position. The manual does not illustrate how to do this and I have been all over the internet trying to solve the problem....to no avail. I wish I could find a video on this, that would help a lot.
Statistics
91987 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.