Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: New Horizon 15000
Topic Summary: preview
Created On: 08/26/2013 03:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/26/2013 03:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
devilcat

I just received an email from Janome showing the new machine. Not a whole lot of information but the screen is a big improvement on the 12000 as the useless, space- wasting circle has been omitted. It also mentions an automatic needle threader. The one on the 12000 was useless so I guess that Janome listened to all the complaints about these two features.

No mention of what the stitch limit is and I have no idea if the manual has been improved or if it is still the same shoddy quality as the 12000 manual.

I also wonder if any improvements to the 12000 (such as a decent stitch limit) have been announced.

Jacquie

-------------------------
Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 08/27/2013 05:03 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Hi,

I heard that the machine has a lot of new features.

1. A very large screen.
2. Stitch changes on the screen that shows the stitch - no more needing to go to yet a different screen to do the adjustments.
3. Automatic needle threader.
4. Separate bobbin winder - back again - the 11000 had this
5. iPad app and wireless connectivity - can use your computer the way you could in the past as well
6. No more hiding of designs in folders. - They are going directly onto the USB without the EMB folders.
7. The Acu-hoop is included with the Acu-fill for quilting.
8. Thread cutter on a much larger foot control, (don't know the advantage of this as I've never had the capability on any machine I've owned to date.)
9. A much, much faster processor - that will be a big plus.

Those are just some of the the things I remember that my dealer passed on to me. I told her to order me a machine, as it has all the things that I miss on my 12000 and I love that machine.

Cheryl

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 08/27/2013 05:13 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Oh, I think that we can use the hoops from the 12000 - the machine looks to be the same size as the 12000 - I'm hoping that is the case, as I purchased a cloth setter and the acu-fil system for my 12000. However, I saw in the information that the acu-fil is included so that didn't matter. I'm using mine as I'm writing this - yes my machine is stitching slowly in loneliness at 400 spm.

Cheryl

Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7

Edited: 09/24/2013 at 10:46 AM by CherylAnn
 08/28/2013 02:13 PM

Author Icon
shamrock55

I wish the specs on the mc15000 were posted...lots of ticklers....not nice guys. LOL. I have a MC11000 se... I bought it late (a couple months bef the MC12000)...which I didn't realize was being phased out...wish the dealer had mention..I also have all the hoops..clothsetter table etc...I would like to see if the my sewing table would work. I have been doing a lot of quilting..free motion quilting. I would love to have a deeper throat...I am a former IT person and I find I have a new addiction...

shamrock55
 08/28/2013 04:28 PM

Author Icon
digimad

The 15000 is the 12000 with new technology. It is in fact the machine Janome led everyone to believe the 12000 would be. Only the 12000 lacked any new technology, was built around the older 11000's chipset, which couldn't be upgraded. It uses the same size hoops as the 12k, has rid itself of the old wheel on the display screen, that was a real blast from the past, wireless connectivity was available before via a Lynksis system which proved problematic. The direct to USB without folders is old technology and found on most brands, so it's good to see Janome have entered the 21st century. The foot thread cutter has also been around a fair time and is so much easier to use than a scissors icon on a machine. The auto needle threader is something I never really could fathom out why they abandoned it, particularly as I had it on the MC10k. Going from that to a pull down and push up manually operated needle threader was how my old Brother (1996) was threaded, a really old tech mistake. It's also the one on my new Horizon 8200 qc machine, I was amazed.
I can't see them not including a higher stitch count, after all the 9900 has a 200k stitch limit, so I'd be very annoyed if they haven't increased the pathetic 100000 limit the old chipset allowed.
As for the ipad app, as a none ipad or smart phone owner, I don't see it as any more than window dressing, what I'd like to know is what is upgradability of the machine. Does it have a vertical bobbin, or the not so good for high speed stitching top loading bobbin race. Does it show the needle position stitching a design or stitches so you can see instantly where the needle is at any given moment. A continual read out of the actual stitching speed and not just a generic pre setting of stitch speeds, most people really believe they are stitching at 1000 spm whereas the machines speed constantly changes and very seldom runs at top speed. The motor specifications and stepping, the upper and lower power usage, the lifetime of the led controller, most only have a short life compared to the bulbs 5 to 10 years. Somehow I don't think those things will figure highly in the list of features.

digimad
 08/28/2013 06:32 PM

Author Icon
devilcat

After being burned on my purchase of the 12000, I shall not be rushing to buy the 15000. I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the whole situation and especially the rude replies I received from Janome when I politely voiced my complaints.

Jacquie

Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 08/29/2013 09:26 AM

Author Icon
Sewingbunny

Very insightful comments Digimad. I would have never thought of those things. Thanks.

Sewingbunny

Janome 12,000 and Janome MBX
 08/29/2013 06:42 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

My dealer called me on Tuesday morning after she had her first training on the new machine. I asked her some questions, but of course Maggie, you found more that I didn't think of. However, Kathy said that Janome "got it right" this time. I certainly hope that she is right. The iPad thing isn't really all that big a deal, but it will be convenient for some as it is so portable. I would be happier if they made Digitizer for Apple products as well as for the PC - not sure that will ever happen but I can hope, can't I. I hope that there aren't to many folks sad because of the new machine.

Cheryl

09/03/2013 03:34 PM

Author Icon
jsm1144

The 15000 has a limit of 200,000 stitches per design, as requested by the masses. Also the processor is twice as fast as the one in the 12000-what this means to the laypeople is that you can use a 32gig stick!! That is wonderful. You can also select an icon that will allow the machine to put a moving crosshair (symbolizing the needle) in the design as it's stitching. It also has 240 new embroidery designs and many of them are done by designers. there are also designs that have redwork (or color work) combined with cross stitch. One thing that is SO appealing but sort of useless is that little thin light bar across the front top of the 12000 is back and now there are 10 color selections AND a dimmer. You can choose background wallpaper, including the standby black which no one seemed to like, and can put in your own picture-and also you can put pictures in for the screen saver. You can also make a one minute video which I think might be useful if you're trying to perfect something and need to watch how you did it-not sure how that will work unless it's through the ipad or something. Pretty cool machine.
 09/03/2013 05:20 PM

Author Icon
devilcat

But what is the manual like? Any better quality than the previous models?

09/04/2013 02:14 PM

Author Icon
jsm1144

Until the physical machine gets to the dealers, no word on the manual but I, and this is my opinion (which I believe that people criticizing the manual and anything else should always say) but I never had a problem with the 12000 manual. I thought it was actually pretty good (in my opinion, so don't take me over the coals, it is just MY opinion)
 09/04/2013 02:19 PM

Author Icon
jsm1144

I also think that Janome wants to "force" people to get instruction from the trained educators in the store where the machine was purchased. A truly thorough manual would make that less necessary. There is SO much to these machines that looking through a manual isn't going to cut it. Janome is also producing videos as fast as they can to supplement the instructions and for people who live too far or can get to their dealers easily. Many really creative, smart people can't understand instructions from the written word alone-that is why instruction from a Janome trained educator at a dealer is so important. It's also why a dealer can't sell the high end machines unless they have taken the instruction.
 09/04/2013 03:06 PM

Author Icon
linlou

I didn't think the 12000 manual was all that bad either. I have certainly seem much worse with other machines. My dealer has always been there to give instructions at no cost. Check with your dealer to see. I love my 12000 and have not had a single problem as some seem to have. I have no interest in the 15000.
 09/04/2013 05:10 PM

Author Icon
MOM

linlou;

I agree the manual was not all that bad. If I had a question I found whatever answers I needed.

I have had the Janome MC5700, 300E the 11,000 and now the 7700 and the 12,000 and loved them all. Each one had their written manual and all helped as much as I needed.

MOM
 09/11/2013 07:44 PM

Author Icon
marlasews55

I won't be buying the 15000. At least not in the foreseeable future. Just not in my budget! And I think I would want to wait anyway to make sure any bugs are fixed before rushing out. At this point, the 12000 is more than enough for me. There are features that I would like that are on the 15000 but just not worth the thousands I would most likely have to pay!

Marla

Marla Cooprider
Sews with Janome 12000, DC4030, Compulock Serger

"A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day in the office." ~Unknown
 09/12/2013 02:17 PM

Author Icon
jcy

I would think that not many of us are rushing out to get the 15,000 as the 12,000 is only 2 years old, I've had mine for 1year now, and don't see why any-1 should go updating from 12,000-15000.....I think Janome could've wait to bring this one out....

Janome MC15000
Janome Digitizer mbx V4
Janome QCD4120
Pfaff
Babylock Eclypse Serger
 09/12/2013 02:33 PM

Author Icon
marlasews55

I'd like to see what all the new features are on the 15000 but even with a trade-in I cannot justify spending more money on the newest machine. My hubby already told me I wasn't getting this one! I told him, don't worry, I know we can't afford it and honestly I'm getting more into heirloom sewing and couture sewing which both involve a LOT of hand stitching! I don't exactly need a high end machine for that! Although, if I were loaded with thousands of extra money, it would still be tempting! I've been conflicted for a long time on what direction to take my sewing. I guess I feel more creative right now actually getting back to basics and learning some of the old fashion hand stitches. Lucky hubby! Lol.

Marla

Marla Cooprider

"A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day in the office." ~Unknown
 09/12/2013 02:48 PM

Author Icon
digimad

Marla, I traded my lovely old MC 10k in for a ''sewing '' machine. I will have to get an embroidery machine next year, as I need to test stitch the designs I make for my videos on a domestic embroidery machine, but it wont be a 12 or 15k machine unless I win the lottery. I have my less than a year old 15 needle industrial machine for my own personal stitching. But as I teach digitising it's only right I test those on a domestic machine.

I'm enjoying my new sewing only machine, the Horizon 8200 qc, but still use a needle and thread for things like blind hems, hand rolled hems, attaching bias banding, I dislike the way machines do it. Sigh, had to get a magnifying visor in order to see the eye in a needle , and make sure I wasn't capturing too many threads when blind hemming. Worked a treat, there isn't a single hint of a stitch on the right side of the fabric.

digimad
 09/13/2013 12:54 PM

Author Icon
marlasews55

I love the embroidery but I just don't use it often enough to justify spending almost the price of a used car for occasional embroidery. I was fortunate to be in position two years ago to trade in my 11000 for the 12000 but as several have said only two years have passed. I just can't afford to get the newest model. As sure as shootin' if I could afford one and traded, Janome would come out with yet another newer, better model. Just like computers and all the other technology!

I don't see any money falling down from heaven or growing on our trees so I will have to be content with what I have which is a great machine! I've heard numerous complaints about the 12000 and some I agree with but overall it's a wonderful machine, in my opinion.

Marla Cooprider

09/13/2013 05:51 PM

Author Icon
digimad

''I don't see any money falling down from heaven or growing on our trees ''

Marla, I keep checking just in case! sigh, I have to live on a small pension, and our tax man eats at my table the day it arrives, by the time he's had his portion there isn't a lot left, then our local tax man takes his place and helps himself, when he's had his fill, the water man, electricity man, gas man, take their fill, followed by the insurance man, TV licensing man, dental man pick over what's left until finally I'm left with scattered crumbs to buy food, pop in my piggy bank ( he's looking dreadfully malnourished) get a few sewing bits, and wonder what the heck did I do wrong by paying so much into my pension so all the others get to feast and I get to scrimp and scrat to just get by.

I'd love to be able to just walk into my dealer, a really lovely man, and say i'll take the new 15000, but it just isn't going to happen. I'd like a TV, so my grandkids can watch my Disney films ( christmas presents from my family) but again that isn't likely to happen. So when my MC10k got damaged I looked at my savings, cancelled any ideas I had of going to see friends in October, did a deal with my son and bought the Horizon 8200, I can't be without a sewing machine. My savings paid half, and my son paid half, it's a lovely machine but so was my MC 10k. I still water my money plant, but it stubbornly refuses to to fruit.

digimad
FORUMS : Choosing a Janome Ma... : New Horizon 15000

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
89177 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.