Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Janome 12000 Vs. Babylock Ellisima
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/22/2012 12:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/22/2012 12:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
devilcat

A friend and I recently replaced out machines with the TOL of our current brands. This afternoon I went over to her house to see the Babylock in action. I prefer my Janome!! Her machine is enormous and bulky with no free arm. When she was having problems with breaking thread, I suggested she lower the needle tension and she could not do this on the individual design she was stitching out but had to do this in the main setting so she will have to remember to switch back for the next design. Although there is a minute counter for the design, it only seems to indicate how many minutes it takes to stitch the entire design and not how many are left as the design progresses (this may be a glitch, she will check with the dealer). It also breaks down and shows how many minutes are required for each colour and I cannot see any point in this. She also mentioned that she doesn't like the sound of it compared to her previous Babylock. But the manual (two books) is wonderful, top quality paper and printing and an index which actually makes sense. The contents of this manual are clear and comprehensive. (Just like what I received with the 10001) The screen is full size, bright and easy to read unlike ours which has that enormous space- wasting circle at the bottom which squashes all the illustrations and icons so that they are hard to read.

I only hope that the next Janome update gets rid of this foolishness and gives us a full size screen again. They got us part way back to sanity now that I can get a white background so I hope they keep going.

Jacquie

Jacquie

Jacquie

-------------------------
Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 07/22/2012 03:24 PM

Author Icon
Sewingbunny

Thanks Jacquie for the comparison. Before I bought my 12,000 I really coveted the Babylock large screen, but when I sat down to demo it, it just had the feeling of cheapness to it and I wondered if the white plastic would yellow with age (maybe they all will, who knows). It was also louder I thought. I waited for the 12000 and when I sat down to it I was really impressed with how well built it seemed, comes with the embroidery module, lovely case for it as well, stainless steel free arm, large hoops so I was sold even though it has a smaller screen. I was expecting one as grand as the BL. Even with the crummy manual and the usless wheel, I still feel it is a better built machine than the BL is. But that is just my opinion of course, which means very little really. But I sure wish they would come out with a good quality manual like BL has. A note to Dear Jan? I doubt it would do any good, do you?

Sewingbunny

Janome 12,000 and Janome MBX

Edited: 07/22/2012 at 03:26 PM by Sewingbunny
 07/22/2012 03:55 PM

Author Icon
devilcat

I think you made the right decision, as did I. Our machines don't have the annoying hum and I think our embroidery attachment is far less cumbersome. I can't imagine not having the free arm, not that I use it much, but there are times when I could not manage without it, unless I wanted to do a lot of fiddling around. Our extension tables slide off so easily. Perhaps part of my preference is because I have used Janome's for years but I don't think I would have been satisfied with all the things that I noticed lacking on the BL. I am really glad I have had the opportunity to check out this other machine in action. It confirms that I made the right decision.

Jacquie

Ladysmith BC,Janome 12000, Bernina Record, Bernina 1150MDA serger, bit of a Luddite, garments not crafts
 10/25/2012 10:08 AM

Author Icon
sewtechie

I also would love to see the circle of wasted space eliminated on the 12000 screen. (Next upgrade, please Janome! I realize it will make portions of your manual obsolete, but remove it anyway. It's just 7700 nostalgia.) I often used the spinner on my Horizon 7700; it was tactile and moved you along faster. The 12000 dial is unnecessary because the selections load so quickly anyway, and you have the arrows that take you quickly from page to page. It's hard to imagine that anyone uses the circle.

I really enjoy the new features, though - the button that lifts the presser foot! Wow! And you begin sewing and it lowers the presser foot for you... sure speeds up your work. I really like the narrow AcuFeed Flex foot. Compared to the 7700, the walking feet take a lot less fussing to put on and off.

I was told there that there's a Clothsetter coming. My placements used to be as accurate as the width of the crosshatch lines but I just can't get that now. I really need precision for pre-cut garment layouts. It makes me a bit anxious that I moved from the 11000 to the 12000 before the Clothsetter was really available.

Edited: 10/25/2012 at 10:09 AM by sewtechie
Statistics
87077 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.