Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Sewing the Perfect 1/4" Seam
Topic Summary: Using 1/4 Foot
Created On: 12/27/2011 06:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/27/2011 06:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
us020847

I have never used the Janome 1/4" seam foot and am looking to find someone who can explain how to use the foot to me.

I am new to the Janome machine and have only used a couple of the accessories but I am starting to quilt and need to learn how to sew the perfect 1/4" seam.
 12/29/2011 07:32 PM

Author Icon
Warbler

I do not know what machine you have but the 1/4 foot is very easy to use. You can practice on scraps to get the right setting. First test with a scrap with the needle in the default center position. Place a scrap under the pressure foot and align the edge of the fabric with the guide on the foot and sew serveral inches, remove the scrap and measure the distance to the edge of the fabric from the sewn line. If it is not a 1/4 inch then adjust the needle position position and test again until you get the correct setting. Depending on which model machine you have the needle positions can be moved in .10mm increments. If the machine does not have small increments between needle positions then talk to your dealer to see if it can be adjusted. Again it all depends on the machine.

-------------------------
Janome MC6600, Bernina 240, Juki MO735 serger, 1948 221-1, 1951 201-2
 01/09/2012 01:06 PM

Author Icon
Eleny

I was just looking at the Janome Even Feed Foot (Walking Foot). They link to a video that tells how to achieve a perfect 1/4" seam when sewing batting. So this might be an consideration for your quilting.
http://www.janomespecials.com/...eed-quarter-inch.html

I have the regular 1/4" foot and am loving it. I don't sew quilts but do need it for sewing through several layers of fabric and it works well.

You butt your fabric up against a tiny metal guide or wall. As you sew, all you have to do is to watch your fabric to be sure it's up against that guide. I never watch the stitching anymore. I used to have a hard time with narrow seams. Now they always come out just right.

-------------------------
Eleny
Janome MC 4800
Statistics
90525 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.