Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Bernina verses janome
Topic Summary: 450vs7700
Created On: 02/02/2011 12:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/02/2011 12:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CafeKaty

My beloved Elan has died and I need to purchase a machine. I make doll clothes, do alterations and make quilts, including the quilting part. I am looking at a Bernina 450 because it is used and about half price ($1500) verses janome Horizon. I love the long arm feature of the 7700 but I'm concerned about the dealer quote of $2500 plus tax etc. Any thoughts? I've always been told Bernina's are the cadillac. Since I sew just about daily what do you all recommend?
 02/02/2011 01:39 PM

Author Icon
mcox32

comment removed

Edited: 02/04/2011 at 05:33 AM by mcox32
 02/02/2011 07:19 PM

Author Icon
CafeKaty

Thanks for relaying your experience. I appreciate hearing what others have learned. I'm sorry for your frustrations with the Horizon. I will keep investigating.
 02/03/2011 12:51 PM

Author Icon
ibdeb

CafeKaty,

I have Bernina machines and one Janome. I do quilting and general sewing. I find that the stitch quality on my Janome equals my Berninas and quilting on the Janome is much easier because much of it can be done in the hoop.

You may want to give the MC 11000 SE a test drive.

-------------------------
Jefferson City, Missouri, USA. Janome MC11K SE, Janome 7700QCP, Bernina 900, 1260, 830E, Bernina 1150MDA serger, Singer 66 Red Eye Treadle, 15-91, 221k, 301a, Pfaff 7570, and Viking 1+.
 02/03/2011 01:40 PM

Author Icon
MOM

I have both the 11,000SE and the 7700. I have never had a Bernina but those I know wish they had purchased the Janome instead. I have been a Janome person for about 10 years now and I started with Kenmore (made by Janome) honestly the features on the Janome just could not be better. I know some have had probems with the 7700 but many a time it is user fault and many dealers do not go to the training when they sell the machines so they blame the user. Maybe we need to not only seek out a good dealer find out if they get the proper training before purchasing the machine.

MOM
 02/03/2011 02:17 PM

Author Icon
mcox32

comment removed

Edited: 02/04/2011 at 05:34 AM by mcox32
 02/03/2011 03:52 PM

Author Icon
MOM

mcox:

It truly seems strange to me that if you are truly unhappy with your machine that the dealer you purchased it from does not try to make it good.

I have a friend from another state that had a problem with a Janome product and could not get cooperation from their dealer so she E-mail Janome and within a months time the problem was resolved. I assume you have registered your machine and have tried to contact Janome by E-mail about this problem?

Your cost for the Horizon seems a little out of line with what the rest of us have paid but that again is between you and your dealer. I am truly sorry you are having this problem. but again it is hard to believe you have had no response from Janome. One of their things they pride themselved with is good support.

MOM
 02/03/2011 07:16 PM

Author Icon
skunkbad

Originally posted by: mcox32

User fault - I think not! The Horizon 7700 has some serious flaws and they can't be blamed on user incompetence although that is a handy defense that "people who work for Janome" conveniently use when it may be their poor diagnostic skills at play or unwillingness to help users troubleshoot the problems that are common with this machine.

We've sold a few 7700s, and I've not encountered any problems, with the exception of one that had a broken micro-switch right out of the box. I replaced it, and it's otherwise perfect. Sure, there was the Foot O issue, but Janome resolved it with foot O2. To say that there are serious flaws... I just don't think you (or your dealer) know what your talking about. If you were my customer, and there was an issue that I couldn't fix, you would have immediately had a replacement machine.

Temecula Valley Sewing Center
The Temecula Valley Sewing Center Blog
 02/03/2011 09:06 PM

Author Icon
Elaine52

CafeKaty,

I totally understand. I have a beloved Elna Carina and would never part with it. I also bought a used Bernina 1530 in pristine condition and love it, it is my computer machine. When I wanted to do embroidery I researched for about a year, I was in no hurry and purchased the Janome 350E. I am in heaven with all my machines.

The Janome is a well built affordable machine, excellent quality and they really do care about their customers. I personally have had several questions and emailed Janome and they were always very prompt with their reply and always answered my questions to my satisfaction.

I wish I could afford the Horizon right now. A dear friend has had hers for awhile now and loves it very much. I would not hesitate at all in buying the Horizon if you can afford it. I would not buy a used machine unless I personally knew the person and felt it was not worn out, like I did with my Bernina.

Please be cautious of others who sound like they have a chip on their shoulder and really love to vent and belly ache than resolve issues in a friendly manner. There are many people on here who are very willing to help whenever we encounter a problem and have been long time Janome owners. I am here to tell you that Janome is a good product and an excellent quality built machine so please don't discount the Horizon if you can afford it. I would not hesitate one bit to purchase it.

The best of luck on a difficult decision. Elaine

Elaine

Janome 12,000, Janome Digitizer MBX, Bernina 1530, Elna Carina, Elna 704 Serger
 02/06/2011 09:10 AM

Author Icon
shelrags50

I bought my 7700 used on ebay and just love it... I dont have a Bernina but do have two newer Vikings and just love the quality of the sewing on the Janome.

Kris Larson
 02/06/2011 11:13 AM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Hi,

I purchased my Horizon 7700, the day my dealer got them into her store - the first or second one she sold. I did have the bulky seam problem but that was resolved. Before the fix, I just was careful or resewed the seam to be the 1/4". The new O2 foot works fine but so did my O foot. I'm not an experienced quilter so I'm not sure I know what the quilters were experiencing, but I have had other sewing machines go off to the right when sewing over a heavy seam so it wasn't only my Horizon doing that. I just LOVE my Horizon - it does a wonderful job for me. So if you have the funds, I highly recommend it to be a part of your sewing experience. I think you will love it.

Cheryl

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 02/07/2011 01:52 PM

Author Icon
Warbler

Here, here to Elaine52. Excellent post!

Janome MC6600, Bernina 240, Juki MO735 serger, 1948 221-1, 1951 201-2
 02/12/2011 12:15 PM

Author Icon
BernieG

I just have to add my "two cents". Recently, I was looking for a machine for my thirteen year old grand-daughter. I wanted something simple, fair priced in case she changed her mind and didn't want to learn how to sew.

I found a Janome Decor Excel Pro 5124 on e-bay. After much research I decided to bid on this machine and I won the auction - $91.00 + $25.00 shipping. Once the machine arrived I was shocked as the machine was like new. I felt like I had won the sewing machine lottery. Yes, it is a mechanical machine with only 24 stitches but what a great machine.

Needless to say, I am now looking for another machine for my grand-daughter as you couldn't pry this machine out of my hands. It sews like a dream, I absolutely love it and will taking it to our Sewing/Quilting Clubs/Classes.

After calling Janome for information regarding a rumor about a new Combo Machine, I discovered that this machine (Janome 5124) was retired six years ago. The bottom line is that before buying another new combo machine I will also give serious consideration to Janome along with Babylock & Pfaff. Yes, I have been that impressed with Janome machines!

There is always a chance of having a problem when buying a new machine but I am confident that if it's a Janome and my dealer is not willing to help me - the Janome Company will!

I am a firm believer that "Attitude Is Everything" regardless of what the problem or issue is!

Bernie / South Carolina

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pfaff 7570, Babylock New Ellageo, Babylock Evolve, Janome 5124, Singer 301,
Reliable MSK 588 Blindstitch Hemmer

Bernie/SC
 02/14/2011 11:12 AM

Author Icon
grammasews

I just wanted to add my support for the Janome Decoe Excel Pro 5124. I bought it new in 2002 and have enjoyed sewing on it everytime I use it. It has never failed me and is running as good today as it was when I first opened the box. Although I have a few computerized machines including a Janome HT2008, which I just love, my 5124 will always be there for me with no worries about mother board crashes. I also might note that I own a bernina 830 record and the stitches are just as amazingly straight on the 5124 as on the bernina, enough so that I have been contemplating lately selling the bernina as she is a very heavy machine to lug around with my ageing arms.
Statistics
87434 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.