Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Horizon
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/23/2010 06:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/23/2010 06:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Roxanne

Just wondering how everyone who bought the new Horizon is liking it? Is it a big improvement over the 6500/6600? Any complaints?
 06/23/2010 08:35 AM

Author Icon
bbbodinsky

The new machine is great. I traded in a 6500. Great lighting and quilting. I HATE the accessories storage. Why didn't they just stick to the box. I am going to get a box for my stuff.
 06/23/2010 11:44 AM

Author Icon
sewinmama

I didn't have the 6500/6600 but did purchase the Horizon and absolutely love it. I've been sewing on Janomes for the past 25 years and the Horizon is one of the best. The only thing I've missed so far is the low bobbin notification. I forget to check my bobbin and this notice would always remind me. I've sewn several seams without a bobbin. The learning curve is almost non-existent. My biggest learning problem was with the needle threader which was operator error not the machine (and was such a dumb error I'm not ever going to tell what it was.) Other than that, everything has been great, wonderful, awesome, etc. My favorite 3 things are the lighting, the single hole plate converter and the "built in walking foot". The stitches have been great, too, but I expected that from a Janome. Right now I've just sewn with the straight stitch. It's been so great to sew accurate seams with the quarter inch foot and the superior feed system that I've pieced 3 quilt tops and quilted one baby quilt in the four weeks I've had the machine. I've had so much fun with just the straight stitch that I'm almost afraid to see what else the Horizon will do. I do have to sleep at some point and if the other features are as great, I'll never sleep, cook, clean or do laundry again! lol

I think the accessories storage is a personal like/dislike thing. I like the fact that I can get everything into the accessories storage when I take the machine to a retreat. I do agree it's hard to find a place to put the storage unit when the machine is in the table...but for me that's a minor thing.

If you are considering the purchase of the Horizon, you will not be disappointed and will be worth the money spent...just purchase from a dealer that you feel comfortable with.

Pam

-------------------------
MC11000 upgraded to SE Ver 3
Horizon 7700
3160QDC
Janome Serger 1200D
 07/01/2010 08:36 PM

Author Icon
bonnesaum

I have been a Bernina owner for the past 4 or 5 years. I have loved my Berninas and have never even bothered to try another brand until recently, while on a cruise, I tried the Horizon 7700. There were a group of quilters on the cruise using the 7700s provided by a shop in Florida. I absolutely LOVE the 7700. There are some features on the 7700 that Bernina does not have and I have always wished for. Plus, the machine is so quiet. I like the storage, don't like having to lug a box around to retreats, etc. (I could never get my Bernina accessory boxes to close properly). Didn't have to purchase bunches of feet, because they came with the machine, loved that the extension table came with my machine. I just can't say enough about it.
Best part is, I got it for a good price, since the machines were considered "used". It's a great machine.
 07/07/2010 04:09 PM

Author Icon
mamafiore

I have signed up with the yahoo janome groups 6500,6600, and now 7700. I was going to purchase the 6600 until I found out about the 7700 coming out. I keep reading the posts to find out if anyone is having problems with the 7700. So far the complaints are geared toward sewing on thickness of fabric. So I am wondering if anyone on this site has had any problems yet with in that area yet. Even though I don't have the machine yet (almost through paying for it) I want to know what I'm in for. The ladies on this site have no complaints and so I am more or less leaning on the reviews on this site. let me know if you have encountered any other gliches with this machine. I don't think I am going to regret getting this machine one bit.
 10/05/2010 12:51 PM

Author Icon
cht1027

I've had my new Horizon for about 10 days and so far I love it - which is something as I've only had Berninas for 32 years and really loved them! Are any of you using the 1/4 " Acufeed Foot (which did not come with the machine)? I'm thinking of ordering it for use when applying bindings. Also wonder if any of you have used the Quilter's Binding Foot - also a special order? Thanks in advance for feedback....

Bernina 830 Record Electronic
Bernina 153QE
Janome Horizon 7700QCP
 10/05/2010 05:16 PM

Author Icon
sewinmama

I have both items but have not used either yet as work has taken over my sewing time. I have seen the binder foot demonstrated. It did not appear to be difficult to use but there will be some learning curve. The binding was smooth and the corners were mitred. Whether you will use the binder foot will be determined by how you want your finished binding to look. Using the foot, your binding will be a single fold and you will see the stitching line on top. I plan to use the foot for any "charity" quilts or the ones that the dogs will probably sleep on and for some craft items that require binding. For my better quilts, I prefer a double fold binding and not being able to see the stitching so I will continue to do them by hand. Since the foot is expensive, I'd suggest you think about how you want your finished quilt to look and on how many quilts would you actually use the binder foot. Hope this helps.
Pam

MC11000 upgraded to SE Ver 3
Horizon 7700
3160QDC
Janome Serger 1200D
 10/05/2010 07:53 PM

Author Icon
cht1027

Thank you so much! I think I will wait on that foot, as I generally prefer my bindings sewn on rather tidily by hand. Maybe later, for charity items as you suggest ....

any ideas re the 1/4" acufeed foot, anyone?

Bernina 830 Record Electronic
Bernina 153QE
Janome Horizon 7700QCP
 11/22/2010 12:39 PM

Author Icon
FLgram

APC Has anyone had problems with the APC unit? Mine was replaced and now the replacement is not functioning.

FLgram
 11/22/2010 11:55 PM

Author Icon
schmitt

lots of problems with the Horizon. i thought i was fortunate that my Horizon did not have the problems that so many other folks encountered. i celebrated too soon. my machine has trouble stitching a straight line. i cannot get a good 1/4" seam as the fabric is fed unevenly. goes side to side and near the end of a seam, veers off in a curve.. upper thread was looping slightly on the underside........increasing the tension, cannot be done. increasing the foot pressure cannot be done. i've had sewing machines for almost 45 years. never had one that could not perform these simple things.
 11/23/2010 12:07 AM

Author Icon
schmitt

did u get your machine? do u like it? i got one.........not happy.
 11/25/2010 06:39 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Hi Schmitt,

Your machine may need to have the rear feed dogs adjusted. Your dealer's technician can fix that very easily. I don't know why but that seems to have been something that Janome goofed in this machine. I've had Janome's for almost 30 years and never had a problem like that. However, the veering off of stitching in crossing over seams has been a problem I've had with all machines I've ever owned, even my 35 year old Pfaff 1222 which is almost indistructable. Maybe I'm not doing something right.

Cheryl

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 11/25/2010 06:43 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

cht1027,

The 1/4" Acufeed foot works well if you follow the directions. You need to move the needle over to I think, 5.5 to the right to get an accurate 1/4" seam. You don't use the APC with this foot for the 1/4". I don't use these feet often as I'm lazy and don't like taking them off to put a new one on - I like the snap-on's much better but there are times when I need the Accufeed.

Cheryl

Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 02/06/2011 02:59 PM

Author Icon
shelrags50

I got my machine used a week ago and I really like it. The second day, I broke the APC (my fault) but got a replacement and now is sewing beautifully. I have two Vikings and I love all three of my machines. With the 7700, I especially like the lighting, the foot lever bar with my knee and the accessory tray on the top. I had some trouble with even bobbin winding but found if I left the spool vertical, no problems.

Kris Larson
 02/07/2011 03:51 AM

Author Icon
missticky2

I've had mine since September and just love it. I haven't had any real problem with the seams, but maybe I haven't encountered thick enough seams yet. I have a project coming up soon that will test that. I rarely use the single hole plate..just my choice. It's fine without it engaged but it's there if I should need it. I also absolutely love the Accufeed feet..especially the open toe one. It's my favourite.

Having said all that, the last couple of times I turned the machine on, I've noticed a flickering of the screen, which is a little worrying, and annoying. I contacted my dealer today and she is going to get back to me after she's contacted head office (the have a certain procedure they have to follow). I've never seen anyone else complain about that, either here or on the Janome 7700 Yahoo group. I'm sure they will be able to make right whatever is causing the problem. But I still love my machine
 02/07/2011 08:04 AM

Author Icon
MOM

missticky2:

I noticed that you said you rarely use the single hole setting. Does that mean we can engage the even feed and use the dual feed feet and not have to use the single hole setting. Also can we use the Dual Feed for decorative stitches ?

MOM
 02/07/2011 08:04 AM

Author Icon
MOM

missticky2:

I noticed that you said you rarely use the single hole setting. Does that mean we can engage the even feed and use the dual feed feet and not have to use the single hole setting. Also can we use the Dual Feed for decorative stitches ?

MOM
 02/07/2011 10:35 AM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

Hi Mom,

Yes you can use the acufeed feet for decorative stitching and without the APC. You only use the APC for straight stitching. However, be careful that the machine doesn't jam up with the decorative stitches. Some are thick and want to catch on the foot instead of feeding through. That was my experience with my 6600 and the Horizon 7700 has the same system. Perhaps I should have decreased the pressure a bit.

Cheryl

02/07/2011 01:39 PM

Author Icon
MOM

Thanks cheryl:

I got the Open toe dual feed foot with the machine and was thinking why can't I use the dual feed with deco stitches. Thanks. I will be careful.

MOM
 02/07/2011 01:59 PM

Author Icon
missticky2

Hi Mom

Yes, as Cheryl said, you certainly can use the Accufeed without the APC engaged. And you can use it with decorative stitches.

One thing I'm curious about...do any of you use the Accufeed on stitches that go backwards? I keep seeing comments that one must not use the Accufeed to go backwards. But, if I sew slowly and look carefully at my machine as it's sewing, the Accufeed changes direction when the feed dogs change direction (it goes backwards when the feed dogs do and vice versa) so I can't see why you can't use it for stitches that go backwards. I've tried it and the stitches were fine..both forwards and backwards. Just curious what others have done

Janice
FORUMS : Choosing a Janome Ma... : Horizon

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
89327 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.