Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: need help with a Janome Sew Petite question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/17/2009 07:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/17/2009 07:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sandilei

I have in my hands, a brand new, never opened Sew Petite. From the hours on the internet, I believe it is pretty much the same as the Sew Mini. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a blog I follow who says you can buy a Janome darning foot, open toe, and put it on the Sew Mini so you can do free motion sewing. You basically need to cover the feed dogs with cardstock, pierce a hole for the needle, and you are ready to sew. She has pic's so I am sure it must work. My question is, will it fit my Sew Petite??
I recvd an email from JAI that said, " The differences in the machines are cosmetic only. There are no other optional feet that will fit either machine."
I'm confused at this point. Does anyone know if this is possible? I think I probably will bite the bullet, and order the darning foot, but thought I'd put the question out there??!!
Thanks so much for taking the time to read and respond.

Sandy
 06/17/2009 10:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Warbler

The best way to know if a foot will match a particular machine is to know if the machine is high or low shank. That is the distance from the pressure foot screw to the bottom of the pressure foot or to the needle plate. I suspect your machine is a low shank.

Low shank machines measure about 3/4" between the screw and plate.
Hight shank machines measure about 1 to 1-1/4" inches between the scew and plate.

Janome makes a convertible free motion quilting foot set that has an open toe attachment, a closed toe attachment and a saucer shaped foot. This foot set comes in both high and low shank versions.

Free Motion Quilting Convertible Foot set for low shank machines

I should add that I do not know whether this foot can work in the Sew Petite. It is a rather large apparatus as you can see from the link and it also cost about $70.

A more generic foot might work... there is a popular plastic foot sold by Clotilde call the Big Foot. It is for FMQ'ing and comes in both high an low shank versions. I think it is more affordable.

Another point about quilting on such a small machine is that it may be better for piecing blocks but to push a quilt through the harp area of the machine is another matter altogether. A mini machine means little space for quilting unless we are talking about doll quilts.

-------------------------
Janome MC6600, Bernina 240, Juki MO735 serger, 1948 221-1, 1951 201-2

Edited: 06/17/2009 at 10:42 PM by Warbler
Statistics
91721 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.