Janome - Learning Center

Topic Title: Do Janome machines need oil?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/09/2009 10:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/09/2009 10:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
otsuka

My memory craft 6500 is sewing loud and I can't see anywhere to oil it, plus no oil came with the machine like my past singer. I've had this machine about 2 years. If anyone knows where to oil this machine please let me know. Plus the stitches are skipping, but I think I just need to change my needle...I hope.

thank you
 10/10/2009 04:18 AM

Author Icon
digimad

The Janome machines only need a tiny drop of oil placed on the wick that sits under the bobbin case, for all other lubricating it has to be serviced by a dealer. Some members who are a bit isolated, AND have excellent dealers, have shown by their dealers how to self maintain their machines for the simpler tasks. As our machines have become more stuffed with alectronics and computerised bits, the self maintainence we could do at home has diminished accordingly. I used to strip, service, repair my own machines, but now I visit my dealer every year to get them serviced. It's a bit of a trade off, more technological advances against less access to home servicing.

-------------------------
digimad
 10/10/2009 09:23 PM

Author Icon
Warbler

Originally posted by: otsuka

My memory craft 6500 is sewing loud and I can't see anywhere to oil it, plus no oil came with the machine like my past singer. I've had this machine about 2 years. If anyone knows where to oil this machine please let me know. Plus the stitches are skipping, but I think I just need to change my needle...I hope.

thank you

I will second what Digimad says about a drop of oil in the tiny hole under the bobbin case. The hole appears to have lint in it, that is the wick. If your machine is loud, it could also be caused by too much lint under the bobbin case. I clean my machine under the bobbin case with every other bobbin change. I add a drop of oil to the wick only occasionally, but I inspect it when I clean every other bobbin.

Skipped stitches can be caused by a needle that is too small for the thread being used or the wrong kind of thread for the sewing application. I think the first is more likely the cause. I buy needles in bulk by 100 count so I don't mind changing them frequently. If ever you suspect the needle it doesn't hurst to put in a fresh one. Lastly, check the thread tension, it maybe set too high. For normal sewing it should be set between 2-6. I generally keep it at 4 unless I am using an attachment or quilting.

I also have this link in my favorites:

Skipped stitches and other sewing solutions.

My favorite trouble shooter...

Education at Superior Threads

Janome MC6600, Bernina 240, Juki MO735 serger, 1948 221-1, 1951 201-2
 10/14/2009 12:55 PM

Author Icon
logiryan

Remove the needle plate & bobbin case. Use canned air to blow all of the dust & threads out from the shuttle hook & the bobbin case itself. Put one drop of oil on the rim of the shuttle hook where the bobbin case sits on. Put one drop of oil on the right stopper spring.
 10/14/2009 05:43 PM

Author Icon
MOM

I would not put any oil other than the wick. Make sure that you only put one drop.If you read you manual it says you do not oil. I know we all do but be careful.
 10/15/2009 10:57 PM

Author Icon
GirlyGirl

Hi! I'm a newcomer to the forum. I own a Janome 300E and I've had problems with the noise. I discovered that the bobbin case had lint build up. I removed the lint and used a Q-tip to apply just a tiny bit of oil and the noised ended.

Edited: 10/15/2009 at 10:58 PM by GirlyGirl
 10/15/2009 11:51 PM

Author Icon
CherylAnn

H Logiryan and all on this thread,

Canned air is not a good thing to use in your machine. It would be better to use a vacuum to clean out the lint. The canned air is very cold and also can compact the lint in the bottom of your machine. This is information given to me from a very good machine technician. They get to see it all eventually when we take our machines in for problems or just general service maintenance.

The one drop of oil on the wick under the bobbin case is a good thing to do once in a blue moon. I only do this a couple times a year.

Cheryl

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Janome 15000, 12000, 4120, 760, 1200D Serger, Huskylock 926, Cover Pro 1000 & a few older sewing machines; my favourite computer games of DigitizerMBX v.4.5 with Cutwork, Floriani Total Control, & EQ7
 04/27/2013 08:08 PM

Author Icon
Designer

Hi All,

I too am having a noise issue with a Janome 10001. When I remove the bobbin I see that it is badly worn, and it is new. Could this be due to the machine needing to have oil in the wick and bobbin case?

Jean

Edited: 04/27/2013 at 08:09 PM by Designer
Statistics
89302 users are registered to the Janome forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.