Reverse Applique Heart Bookmark
These cheerful Valentine 3-heart reverse applique bookmarks are the perfect project to make for the special someone in your life who enjoys reading. Janome Maker Milinda Stephenson created, digitized and embroidered these bookmarks using the Horizon Memory Craft 15000. Make them for Valentine's Day in February!
- Tear-away stabilizer
- 2" squares of three contrasting fabrics for reverse applique hearts
- 8" x 3" felt for bookmark front
- 8" x 3" contrasting fabric for bookmark back
- Embroidery thread
- Embroidery scissors for trimming reverse applique
- Spray basting adhesive
Click here to download the .JEF file.
Step 1: Prepare to Embroider
- Hoop the tear-away stabilizer and place in the machine.
Step 2: Embroider Outline, Place Hearts, Bookmark Front
- Embroider color 1 - outline stitch of the three hearts and the bookmark
- After embroidering, you will see where to place your fabric squares for the hearts. You may need to trim your squares to size. Spray each square with spray adhesive and place within the stitched squares.
- Center the 8" x 3" felt bookmark front over the bookmark outline.
Step 3: Embroider Sew-Down for Bookmark Front and Heart Outlines
- Embroider color 2 - bookmark sew-down
- Embroider color 3 - heart outlines
Step 4: Trim the Hearts, Sew Reverse Applique
- Remove the hoop from the machine, but do not remove the embroidery from the hoop.
- Using embroidery scissors, trim away the heart centers about a 1/4" away from the heart outline.
- Replace the hoop on the machine.
- Embroidery color 4 - heart applique
Step 5: Bookmark Backing
- Slide 8" x 3" contrasting bookmark back beneath the bookmark being certain to center.
- Sew color 5 - bookmark outline
- Remove the hoop from the machine, but do not remove the fabric from the hoop.
- Trim around the heart bookmark front and back to prepare for satin edge.
Step 6: Satin Edge
- Replace the hoop in the machine.
- Sew color 6 - satin stitch outline
*Note: If you wish to use ribbon decoration, center the ribbon at the bottom of the bookmark and tape down before sewing color 6.