From Fabric Cut:
• 2 (two) - 20" X 20” Squares for Tote Bag
From Lining Cut:
• 2- 20" X 17” Square
From Interfacing Cut:
• 2- 20" X 20” Square
1. Select a design from the Embroider A Cure collection, for this bag we used design BTD006 which is 7.75" x 7.75") and embroider on a piece of fabric that is about 3.5" bigger than your design all around. In our example we used a 10.25" x 10.25" piece of fabric for the pocket. (This will be used as the outside pocket on the tote).
2. Fuse interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric according to the manufacturer's instructions.
3. Cut out 2 (two) 2" x 2" squares from the bottom corners of your bag fabric pieces. They should look like the shape below. This will shape the bottom of the bag.
4. On the opposite end (the top of the bag) cut a 3" strip from the top of both pieces of bag fabric. This piece will be used as the top facing for the bag.
5. Take one piece of the bag fabric and mark the center bottom. Measure 4" up from the center bottom of the bag. This will be the placement line for the pocket.
6. To make the pocket, cut the piece of fabric with the embroidery in a square to the size you desire, about 2-3" around the design on all sides, again our piece wound up being 10.25"x10.25" for this design. Cut a piece of lining fabric to the same size. With the two pieces right sides together, sew around the square leaving an opening on the bottom for turning. Trim corners, turn and press.
7. Center pocket to bag front 4" from bottom where you marked. Stitch close to the edge on three sides, leaving the top open.
8. Take the bag fabric pieces and, with right sides together, stitch the side and bottom seams using a 1/2" seam allowance.
9. Push out the side and bottom seams so that the square cutouts will make a straight line on the bottom sides. Sew together.
10. Cut webbing in half so that you have two equal pieces. Place the edge of the webbing 5" from side seams with the raw edges matching the top of the bag and stitch in place using a 1/2" seam allowance.
11. Take lining fabric and cut out two 2"x2" squares from the bottom edge like you did on step 3, which will be a 17" side. The 20" side is the width of the bag.
12. Take the 3" bag strip and fabric lining and sew together with the right sides together across the top. You will now have a piece of 19 1/5" x 20" fabric for the lining.
13. With right sides together stitch lining sides and bottom together laving an opening in the bottom middle seam for turning. Match up the side and bottom seams and stitch corners.
14. With the bag and lining right sides together, stitch across the top using a 1/2" seam allowance.
15. Turn the bag inside out, stitch the openings closed, pressed and enjoy!